Had to make one of the HARDEST decisions....

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that i have EVER had to make.

I have decided that i need to put Prue and Tigger up for adoption. Their miserable. Every since i took in Sace and Uno, they have done nothing but fight with them.

I have tried introductions though a door, tried Feliway, tried putting Prue and Tigger in a home made double XXL kennels put together, so that they could sniff each other. but every time i let them out, they go for sace or uno and fight. not just hiss and whine, but go AFTER them!!
. Its been about 6 weeks, and NO CHANGE!!!

I have been to the vet, and hes basically said they have decided there not going to get along, so no matter how long you try introductions, its not gonna work.

SO i have decided to give them a better life, and quality of life, to go up for adoption. I plan to do the adoption myself, so i can screen the potential adopties, and such.

This was a HARD decision. i have been fighting with it forever. But when it comes down to it, its in their best intrest, because they are not happy, and y heart breaks for them.

Please dont yell at me, i have thought of everyway i could, and nothing has worked

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm having some of the same issue, although my case isn't as bad as yours. From what I've found in doing some research, there are cat behaviorists available. I found one that is supposedly similar to the "dog whisperer" and you can call in and get a phone consultation. I can't remember the precise amount, but I believe it was $75 for a one or two hour consultation, provided that you filled out an extensive behavior form/questionaire before the telephone consultation. I'm seriously considering it for mine, just to have peace in the house. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll find the link for you.

Otherwise, you can do a search on "cat behaviorist" and it will bring up a number of websites for different behaviorists. If you're interested in this route, and want links or anything, again, feel free to PM me. If you have the money, it might well be worth talking to one about it.. I don't think it's absolutely beyond doubt unsolvable. I think there's still potential for a happy household, if you can find the key.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that must be so hard for you
I am sorry that its not going to work out. I hope they find a perfect home.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

May I ask... why did you decide to adopt out the two "resident" cats instead of the newcomers?
My thoughts exactly. I know that this must be a hard choice but why the older cats instead of the new ones.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

My thoughts exactly. I know that this must be a hard choice but why the older cats instead of the new ones.
exactly.
they were there first!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

May I ask... why did you decide to adopt out the two "resident" cats instead of the newcomers?
I'm wondering as well.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I find myself wondering the same thing.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

Its been about 6 weeks, and NO CHANGE!!!
6 weeks is not a long time, many cats can take months-years to become friends.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's taken over a year, but Ophelia IS getting better. She put stitches into Lily multiple times. Do not give up. 6 weeks isn't long....and if I can do you with Ophelia, you can do it!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

6 weeks is not a long time, many cats can take months-years to become friends.
Ditto.

I introduced my resident cat, Shadow, to two kittens in September of last year. He doesn't interact with them but he tolerates them pretty well now with little trouble between any of them but it took many months to get to this point. The extent of it is when the "kittens" try his patience and he has remind them of their "place" by means of a paw swipe and hiss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the reason i am opting for the two resident cats is because they are the ones that dont get along, and the new adopties get along fine with the rest of the gang. so i was trying to aliveate the problem, and keep peace.

If i am to keep trying, is it really fair that they ( tigger and Prue) have to stay in the dog kennels tho? i mean, to me it feels like a caging them all the time is cruel, but thats all i can to to keep peace in the house. no matter how many times i try to introduce, they fight fur flying and all. I am at my wits end on what to do.

everytime i try to let them out and go see the other cats, they automatically go for sac and uno to fight! and then sace and uno cry and cower the rest of the night, and i dont think its fair, to be honest. i dont need vet bills from fights, i just dont know what to do anymore, i am soooo tired

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this will sound harsh but stories like this is hard for me to handle.

Is it really fair to the resident cats to be booted out of the house because you decided to bring new cats in. Were they asked if they wanted new brothers/sisters? Why should they get the boot. They apparently were fine before the new cats got there? And why are the resident cats the ones in kennels? Why not the new guys. Jealousy is probably playing a big role in why the new cats get attacked with the resident cats are let of the cage.

If its not working the new cats need to be rehomes not the older resident cats who have been there longer.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

I know this will sound harsh but stories like this is hard for me to handle.

Is it really fair to the resident cats to be booted out of the house because you decided to bring new cats in. Were they asked if they wanted new brothers/sisters? Why should they get the boot. They apparently were fine before the new cats got there? And why are the resident cats the ones in kennels? Why not the new guys. Jealousy is probably playing a big role in why the new cats get attacked with the resident cats are let of the cage.

If its not working the new cats need to be rehomes not the older resident cats who have been there longer.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a room, even a bedroom, that Sace & Uno can be put in?

What other animals are in your home?

I honestly think that between all us TCS'ers, we can help you work something out....start intros from the beginning. But, can you give us animals, ages, altered/not, please?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't feel we're attacking... we're just looking for a solution to your problem. And it does make sense that your resident cats would be VERY upset that they're the ones being caged instead of the new guys...

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a behavorist here a couple of weeks ago. There was a forum specifically for her threads. Some of this might be solved by trying some of her advice. I'll see if I can find the forum for you, so you can read through the advice to other people.

It makes sense that the resident cats are having problems with newcomers. Apparently cats are very territorial and the resident kitties look at the new kitties as intruders. I know one of the things she suggested was that you rub the resident kitties face glands with a towel, and then rub the new kitties with that towel to put their scent on it. Wasn't there also a suggestion of putting something on them that disguises the scent overall? Where did I see that at???

Here's the link to that forum. Lots of topics covered in there.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55