Hairspray the movie!!!

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm telling you, go see this movie.

We saw it tonight and my significant other said walking out "wow, I had no idea it would be that good!", and he is *NOT* a musical type person.

It was sooooooooo good!!!!!!!!!

I've seen the broadway musical and knew that the musical kicked butt, but you can never tell the direction it will go when it converts to film...this movie REALLY did things right!!!

I'm in a super-good mood right now from watching it!!! I got all sugared up at the movie theater and Patrick told me he's never seen me enjoy a movie that much. (and I am a *HUGE* movie dork!)

love love loved it!!!!!!!!!!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe I am glad that u liked it
I wanna see that so bad..hmmm
there is always tomarrow
But anywho..I am so excited
and now u def talked me into going and seeing it
and got me all pumped up to go

Though right now I am watching the older version with Ricki Lake on tv

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yay!!! Make sure you let me know if you liked it as much as I did!! (I KNOW you will!!)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's it about? I've never seen the original because the title has never appealed to me and I'm not sure I want to see John Travola in drag. Is it about a beauty salon or something?

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not even close. I know the title is misleading. The main plot has nothing to do with hair.

Have you watched the trailer online? I really recommend going to YouTube and watching the trailer.

This is a brief synopsis I found online:
Set in Baltimore during the 1960s dance TV craze, a zaftig high school hairhopper goes from outsider to celebrity trendsetter. Along the way she stars on "The Corny Collins Show," wins the heart of the resident hunk and kicks down the barriers for black and white integration on local television.
That doesn't even begin to explain everything in the movie, but it's mainly about overcoming adversity in life, love and for political and social change. Segregation and Integration is the huge general theme of the movie.

John Travolta did a great job, and Edna has always been played by a man because she is a bigger than life character.

I get upset when people compare it to the John Waters version.
Don't get me wrong, I loved that movie when I was younger, but the musical version is *MUCH* different.

tammie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Believe it or not, I just heard about Hairspray last night and saw it advertised for the first time. My first thought was: I have GOT to see that! Unfortunately, since we don't have a theater here, I'll have to wait until it's on PPV but that won't take too long.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen the original movie and loved it. (In a past thread asking "who would play you in a movie" I said Divine. But he's dead so maybe John Travolta?
)

I want to see this one, too. Will have to wait for it on DVD, though.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

(In a past thread asking "who would play you in a movie" I said Divine. But he's dead so maybe John Travolta?
)
That's funny!!!!

Everyone will love this movie, but so many are turned off because it's a "musical" and to be honest, I don't think it was marketed just right.....but hey, whatever, hopefully when everyone sees it, they'll feel the same way!!!!

(p.s.~~~> It also got absolutely WONDERFUL reviews! (and you now how critics could be!
)

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

I've seen the original movie and loved it. (In a past thread asking "who would play you in a movie" I said Divine. But he's dead so maybe John Travolta?
)

I want to see this one, too. Will have to wait for it on DVD, though.
Divine, as in Divine from Pink Flamingos? Thank God I haven't seen that movie but I've heard all about it, especially the ending.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I plan on seeing that hopefully on Thursday. Thanks for the good reviews!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I looked at that YouTube trailer and I still have no clue what the movie is about. The trailer didn't look very good to me.

Can someone tell me what the movie is about?

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Ok, I looked at that YouTube trailer and I still have no clue what the movie is about. The trailer didn't look very good to me.

Can someone tell me what the movie is about?
I gave a short synopsis and general theme.

Do you really want to know the exact plot line before you see a movie? Isn't it nice to have a general idea of what it is about and be pleasantly surprised by the full plot?

I hate seeing a trailer that gives away everything I'm going to see in the movie.

If you like musicals, you will love this movie.
One of my very dear friends hates musicals, so I know not to suggest it to her...but I am a HUGE musical theater fan and that mixed with how amazing the plot and performances were, totally got me. I'm planning on going again to see it this week!

It's REALLY uplifting. I watch a lot of movies and don't rave very often this much about something!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

I gave a short synopsis and general theme.

Do you really want to know the exact plot line before you see a movie? Isn't it nice to have a general idea of what it is about and be pleasantly surprised by the full plot?
Sorry, I just went back to your earlier post. I didn't see the synopsis before, just the link to the video.

I love musicals, but what you describe doesn't sound at all interesting to me. And the YouTube video wasn't very enticing. When it comes out on TV I'll tune in to see what the hype is about.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm dying to see this! I am a huge musical fan and am a huge John Travolta fan, right back from his "sweat hog" days!
I'll probably wait till it comes out on DVD and buy it, because DH would never consider going to the movies to see a musical. I had to go to see Mama Mia in Toronto with friends (stage play) because he wouldn't go. The last movie he went to see with me was Independence Day, and that was only because I begged and pleaded so much!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww, thats a wonderful feeling isn't it?!

Now, ya'll know how I felt about Transformers

I will be sure to see this one..thanks!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Awwww, thats a wonderful feeling isn't it?!

Now, ya'll know how I felt about Transformers

I will be sure to see this one..thanks!
Transformers? You wanted to see it or didnt'?

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

I'm dying to see this! I am a huge musical fan and am a huge John Travolta fan, right back from his "sweat hog" days!
I'll probably wait till it comes out on DVD and buy it, because DH would never consider going to the movies to see a musical. I had to go to see Mama Mia in Toronto with friends (stage play) because he wouldn't go. The last movie he went to see with me was Independence Day, and that was only because I begged and pleaded so much!
You guys are all getting me all re-excited!!!!

I can't find any information about the DVD release date...I wanted to give you guys a time-frame...but alas, no info. yet.............and trust me, I'll be buying it the day it comes out on DVD.

I'm telling you.......... it is so uplifting and , as much as I love other "broadway to the big screen" attempts, this has to be the best I've ever seen. (besides RENT which I'm obsessed with, but that's a whole other story!!!!)

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely adored the musical when it was in Toronto. I can't wait to see the movie, but will probably have to wait until it is on DVD. Christopher Walken as Mr. Turnblatt should be interesting - read an article that said the movie was amazing.