Just need to vent :/

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alrighty, July 24, 2005 I moved in with my fiance (though it wasnt "official" until 8/28/05). His parents were ok with me living here, as long as I got a job in SC and we saved money for a house downpayment. I thought it was nuts, but they always are letting people stay anyway. Well, we've been saving money - we're at about $15,000 in a money market, getting interest of about $37/month right now. We also live rent-free, which is nice. The problem is, living together with someone's parents gets old QUICKLY! Especially after two years of doing so!!

Lately I've been very irritable at home. The littlest things are bothering me. His mom will do laundry and I wont be able to find some of my clothes for a week. She rarely cooks, and they keep week-old leftovers to eat after she DOES cook. I will go buy stuff to make for myself, because I always ate different things when I lived with my parents and miss having that. We also never kept many leftovers for more than 2-3 days max, so thats different too. He complains sometimes that I want to get something different than what is currently hanging out in the fridge - since that is free food to us.

I am also not much of a "spend a lot of time with family" person. Mainly because my family never did a ton of things together - my dad was always working, he owned his own shop and was there 7 days a week. We'd go on vacation for 2 weeks out of the year (but my mom would only spend a week) - that was the max family time. He ALWAYS wants to spend time doing stuff with his family - seems like a lot more lately. I dont mind that he loves his family and everything, but sometimes its too much! (ie: 4th of July, he didnt tell me his family was going to be hanging out at the beach with us even though I asked; later I asked if we could sit somewhere, the two of us, for a romantic moment under the fireworks. We sat right up next to them and his brother. No romance there!) I would never want him to dislike his family. He thinks I hate mine because I was so quick to leave at 18. I had to remind him, I moved out to be with him

Its also getting to me, living here, when his mom tries to plan our entire wedding without me. Rob & I are getting married in February 2008. She's trying to take charge and make it some big overpriced ordeal - we just want a simple, maybe 30-person wedding. She wants colors & themes and receptions at places we arent interested in. They are trying to get us to agree to the VFW for a reception hall, but I dont want it there. On top of that, it looks like we are going to be married AND living here at the same time. Possibly not leaving until after our 1 year wedding anniversary. That thought is making me crazier by the day!

I just would love for us to be out on our own finally. I know there is TONS of responsibility and bills when owning a home, but we are certainly financially stable with our incomes to do so. We dont want an apartment because its as if you are paying for something you will never own. We really would like to build a house, but we've only been WATCHING a piece of land on the market, not acting on it.

I dont know where I'm going with this really, I just need to vent out a bit! I'm stressing out over it, I really want our own place, or at least to know it is in the works. Everyone at work I mention this to cant believe I've lasted this long here. I know saving money is good, but I think its making me snippy, even towards Rob from time to time. *SIGH* Sorry for the lengthy post! I know I'm probably just crazy & shouldnt let it bug me.

tammie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Shouldn't let it bug you?? There's no way on this green earth I could handle living with my in-laws again! I did it once when things got so bad for me at home that I had to leave, but it was only for a few months before my boyfriend (now husband) and I moved in together. I was 18 too.

Since you may be living there for long a period of time, is there any way you can make an arrangement with the parents so that part of the house is just yours and his? A small apartment in the basement maybe? Something away from the rest of the family, food and all, so you have a place somewhat your own. Maybe little things like do your own and his laundry so the mother can't lose your stuff.

What about a little weekend trip away somewhere, just the two of you, to get your bearings straight again? I feel bad for you ... it sounds like you're both working so hard for your future that your present is suffering.

Best of luck to you. Hang tough.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a lot of thoughts reading your post and can relate a lot to your relationship with your parents and his with his. To simplify my thoughts, I to come from a family that is not particularly close, and was always annoyed by families that are and think it is just unnatural to be that involved with each other. to some degree it is,but I think basically it is jealously that I didn't have that kind of involved loving relationship. Neither of my parents had good parents and were not all that great themselves. That being said, and acknowledged, it does not make up for the feeling of suffocation you feel with people that are all too willing to invade your boundaries without a second thought.
I agree that you need a separate space, or just bite the bullet and rent until you can buy. YOu guys are adults now, if you want to be treated as such, give up the gravy train. The other thing to consider is his close relationship with his folks is going to continue even after you move out. I suggest you get professional help on reconciling the issues in your childhood that are having an impact on being exposed to his relationship with his folks. It will be worth the investment if you expect to have children and spend the rest of you life with this man. He might benefit from some counseling as well, on how to set boundaries and consider your feelings.

Hope you don't think this advice out of line.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! I don't envy you being in that situation. I've never been liked by any moms of my previous boyfriends.

I really think that you need to see things from another perspective and perhaps realise that you two need to live together, without family, even just for a year or two before buying. If you have the money saved up right now, may as well just bite the bullet and rent for a year to save sanity.

One thing I will say that you need to consider is will his family ALWAYS be there? Even when you have a house? Perhaps not, but perhaps so. If he is inviting his family along without telling you (even when you confront him) he may experience some form of separation anxiety and even in your own home that you built his family may visit daily.

As for wedding, well unfortunately whoever is paying gets to have some input whether you like it or not. If his mom isn't paying but wants you two to have all the stuff you mentioned, tell her you would be happy to have that if she's willing to offer some money.
That's what I'm doing with our wedding and so far no one has planned anything for us (using our money) and no one has divied up money.
If she is helping out though, well I'm afraid that you don't have much say as she may take the funds for your wedding away. Heck, just elope. Much easier.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jiminy Christmas! I can barely live with my own folks -- I can't imagine living with someone else's!

I think it's important for you and your fiance to move into an apartment of your own -- not just to minimize the parent issue, but also because it's the only way you can find out before you're married whether this is the right thing to do.

In fact... has either of you ever lived alone at all? If not, please... find a way to do it, even just for a few weeks. Living on your own changes you (or perhaps reveals you to yourself), and it casts your relationship in a different light, too.

If I had never lived on my own before I got married, I would never have found the courage later on to leave that misguided marriage and start fresh. I really think it's important to find out who you are alone before you try being with someone else.

But if that's not possible, at least you and he should think about getting a place together. Just to find out how you feel when it's only the two of you.

Unsolicited advice... forgive me if I'm being pushy!

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I had a lot of thoughts reading your post and can relate a lot to your relationship with your parents and his with his. To simplify my thoughts, I to come from a family that is not particularly close, and was always annoyed by families that are and think it is just unnatural to be that involved with each other. to some degree it is,but I think basically it is jealously that I didn't have that kind of involved loving relationship. Neither of my parents had good parents and were not all that great themselves. That being said, and acknowledged, it does not make up for the feeling of suffocation you feel with people that are all too willing to invade your boundaries without a second thought.
I agree that you need a separate space, or just bite the bullet and rent until you can buy. YOu guys are adults now, if you want to be treated as such, give up the gravy train. The other thing to consider is his close relationship with his folks is going to continue even after you move out. I suggest you get professional help on reconciling the issues in your childhood that are having an impact on being exposed to his relationship with his folks. It will be worth the investment if you expect to have children and spend the rest of you life with this man. He might benefit from some counseling as well, on how to set boundaries and consider your feelings.

I totally agree with this & want to add that you seem like you are the more independent of the two. It sounds like your fiancee isn't quite ready to "let go" & this might cause some problems in the future...it's best to deal with this problem now before the wedding.
Kudos for dealing with it, though. I'm not a "close family" person either, not with my own & especially not with someone else's trying to dictate my life. Occasional visits are enough for me. (Actually right now I elected to stay home while my fiancee went to his 40-something year old brother's birthday party...I can't handle all of the people & don't understand what the big deal is!)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I had a lot of the same thoughts. Coming from a fairly newly married (4 years) point of view, I really think it would benefit you both to have a place of your own ASAP! Even if it's not what you really want. Like has been said, you will see things differently both about your fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e and yourself. If there are any 'snags' to be worked out, better to find them and get through them now.

I think you also need to sort through your feelings and maybe narrow things down to a few things/points (you've sort of done that here) and have an honest talk with your fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e. Make sure the things you discuss with him are truly worth it though and done with love, those talks aren't the best time/place to vent, that can make it seem more like an attack on him or his family and he obviously cares very much about his family. Compromise with him. IE. set a day or 2 every week that is for you and him only, and then set a budget together for what you will spend on extra food. Although personally I think it's good that you do buy things on your own instead of just sort of 'living off' of your soon to be in-laws. Make sure that you are both clear about what you decide, that he knows that your time together is only for the 2 of you. You might have to be firm about it at first, but hopefully he will get the point too. At the same time, try to be as understanding as you can about his connection with his family. It may be a difference that you have that brings a balance to your children's lives. And it's a good thing to be able to balance each other.

Another thought with that is that it is probably best to establish some boundaries now with his family, rather then when you do have your own place and they come walking in as they please. My example: I had to kindly but firmly let my MIL (who I do love) know that we are not making her any Grand-babies any time soon, pretty much just a couple of months after DH and I were married. Doing that then has saved me the headache of hearing it repeatedly. It's also kept that stress out of my marriage.

And as far as the wedding is going, I'm with Lunasmom's advice on that one!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. I will update this thread tomorrow with some further replies I have, and to answer some questions you've asked

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some thoughts:

Beware of someone wanting to spend a lot of time with "family" - sounds like he's kinda tied to momma's apron strings and that's a yellow flag. My ex did that to me (he was also abusive) but he more/less insisted we spend all our vacations, etc. with HIS family and kinda isolated my side (mom/dad/sister). At first it was ok, but later in the marriage I started refusing to always go to his parents on vacation, etc.

This may or may not be a warning sign but something to seriously consider if you marry him. If he's like that now, he could be worse when married. IMO its better to be able to spend time with both families or on your own.

While its nice to live at home, living with parents/in-laws can be a nightmare after a period of time. My DH dealt with that with is ex and his ex-MIL moving in with them - part of the problems in the marriage.

And I'd think twice about the control the MIL wants on the wedding, etc.

IF your fiance' will not move out and rent an apartment for both of you now for the next year, then in all honesty I think you should really evaluate the future together.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to multi-quote some things, but honestly, there are good things in every answer post that you received.

I think this is what I'd do. First off, I'd sit down and have a serious discussion with him. Tell him that you feel that the two of you need to do something to change your situation a bit. I'd discuss with him the different things that you can do to facilitate this. I'd also discuss your concerns about not having enough distance from other people (of course, you'll specifically mean his family, but I'd put this in very general terms and not make it an attack on his parents). Be very clear that in order for this relationship to survive for you, and for it to feel healthy to you, you need to have "space" from everyone except him to live your lives together. This doesn't mean cut off from the rest of the world, but it does mean let's not spend every waking minute in their company. There's absolutely no reason why a "weekly" or scheduled time to see other people and do things with them can't be set up, but you need to have your relationship space too.

As far as living there, regardless of how difficult they are to live with, some appreciation does have to be given to the fact that they're willing to help you guys out, and it is seriously giving you guys a huge break and opportunity to start your lives as a couple a lot further ahead than most. While it's hugely frustrating, it's probably worth suffering through it for a little while longer, and making the very most of it that you can, i.e. save every penny and use it to the utmost.

I'd start off trying to change the situation in the house by doing some of these things. I'd start doing your laundry, and offer to do their's at least some of the time. I'd ask if there's a particular way that they like their clothing washed, dried, folded etc, and I'd abide by that for their laundry. Everyone has a particular thing they like. Doing this will allow you to do your own laundry (giving you the control of it) and by asking his mom how she does things.. also gives her some control over it. But I'd just state that you want to do this as a contribution and to help out around there to help pay them back in some way. IMO, if they're doing the laundry and you're not, because you'd rather not do it (and I'm not saying that this is the case.. because I'm sure there's more to it than that).. you can't really complain about how it gets done. I go through this with my sister on a regular basis. I do her laundry, she hates doing it, I do all the work of carting it around, folding it all up, and then she complains about it and I think you ungrateful *itch, do your own laundry.. but then we're family and the structure is a little different. I guess what I'm trying to say here is.. by complaining about it, it makes you look ungrateful, and you won't be able to accomplish anything with that image. You'll have a much better relationship with your fiance and with his parents if you can figure some other way to get what you want. You're looking at a life with him.. and his family, such as it is. Just like he's looking at a life with you and your family.. such as it is. He can't really help that he's got a different situation with his family than you've got with yours.. you can alter it some, but you're not going to be able to alter it completely without making him miserable. I think you're going to have to learn how to deal with it, or if you can deal with it. And if you can't, you may have to examine whether it's more important to you to keep the relationship that comes with the family, or get rid of the family.. and the relationship. If you can't find a common ground that's acceptable to both of you here, I fear you're in trouble.

I'd offer to do some of the cooking. I know it costs a little more money to buy the food, but if buying the food and cooking allows you to stay under their roof longer, you'll end up saving more money in the long run. Food is a lot less expensive than rent and utilities.

The idea of taking your own section of the house is a great idea, if it's at all feasible. I'd also *really* *really* and I cannot stress it enough, *really* consider living on your own for a short time, with each other, before you decide to get married. You're living together now, but to be honest, you're lives there are influenced by the presence of other people. This might be okay, if you guys are given a portion of the house that's all yours. And, I'd actually use that as an excuse for right now... you know, I think we need to see how we do living "on our own" "in our own space" etc as an excuse for it, and then maybe "pay rent" in that, you set an amount that is pretty high, that would be inclusive of all utilities, and everything else that you're currently not paying for.. and maybe even make it a little higher, and put all of it into an account. Of course, you may already be doing this, obviously you're saving money. I'd stretch every last penny out of it that I could though.

Personally, I'd put the wedding date back at least another six months. I'd probably look at trying it for February of 2008. It's still early enough that anything you've booked for this year or paid for, will probably allow you to change the date. This will also give you time to get things together, including your house and so forth, have it built, and hopefully give you time to live on your own with each other for a while before you get married.

The biggest thing here, is I think you need to sit down with your fiance and make a plan. Put it on paper, and stick to it. Schedule when and where you need to be, a step at a time, and make a date for each step, if possible. By this date, we need to have the land bought. By this date, we need to have put into motion the building of the house. By this date, we need to have our own space for a while..

Hopefully this was somewhat helpful. I surely don't envy your situation at the moment, but I think you can do a lot to change it, and make the most of it. Look at is as an opportunity which is probably hard right now, but I think with a little thought and direction in it, you can change it around to be pretty beneficial and maybe not as stressful.

Good luck!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice all!
To answer some questions and respond to some statements:

When I moved in, my fiance's bedroom is a converted 2-car garage. It's spacious, we can fit an entertainment center, couch, bed, two 55 gal fish tanks, a dresser, closet, bathroom, book shelf, computer desk, coat racks, etc and still have room left over. Its by the pantry and "laundry room", behind the kitchen. So we DO have an area of the house to ourselves. They usually knock (one time they didnt, and decided they would knock every single time since then
). Sometimes they'll wake us up to talk though when we're sleeping.

I AM very appreciative that they offered to let us live here rent-free and whatnot, dont get me wrong. When I first moved to this state, I intended on getting an apartment right off the bat at 18. They said as long as we saved money and proved it, they were fine with us staying. They also are in no rush to get us out. His brother is, only because he wants this bedroom, but neither parent is saying "You need to go, now!" His dad will joke about the time getting closer, but they really have no deadline on when they want us out (except when the fiance gets his Assoc. degree at college - but that's further in the future - we work FT and go to school PT). We save approx. $1000/month to our money market.

As for the laundry - I used to do our laundry a lot. I'd just save it up, then do it one night a week. Now, she always tells us to put our clothes by the washer for her to do them, and if we arent home, she gathers them up herself to do them. I gladly would do our own clothes, I didnt mind at all before. I think right now she's bored, because she works at a school and has the summer off.

Wedding - As far as I know, we are the ones paying for our wedding. My parents are into debt up to their ears (I know the "Tradition" is that the bride's family pays). We are expecting to be paying for it ourselves, and have no problem with that either since its not going to be some huge crazy $25,000 ceremony (Currently, the wedding AND honeymoon is looking to be under $2500!). I believe that if it is OUR day and we are paying, we should be the ones who make the final decisions.

Cooking - Rob & I dont get home from work until around 7pm. 99% of the time his mom is already home and cooked something, or has already eaten something for dinner since she's home earlier than us by a few hours.

Therapy - Honestly, I LOVE that Rob is close with his family. It is better than dealing with someone who cant stand to go to a family function like a birthday or anniversary. I never had much of a desire to do a ton of family things at my house. We had our routines and everything was fine. I dont think I "missed out" on anything or have any jealousy geared towards him because they do a lot together. I can understand his closeness - his dad was Navy for 22 years and they only saw him a couple times a year. Therefore, he was always with his mom and had a closeness with her too. I saw both my parents every day.

We do go visit my parents from time to time, they live 3 hours from us. We actually were there last weekend. I was a total daddy's girl and he misses me. He also LOVES Rob. He treats him like a son when we are there. Rob & my mom clash, still not sure why. Some stupid crap that originated in NJ and somehow different stories about what was said traveled down to us and no one knows who is telling the truth. They talk and what not, but sometimes its tense. Its hard to do A LOT with my family due to distance and our busy schedules.

I like the idea about making a plan. Today he mentioned calling our friend, who is a realtor, about the 4 acres of land we are looking at. We discussed this topic somewhat - but it also had some "venting" in it. He said we shouldn't rush into buying any old house just to have our own place (the home we buy, we plan on staying in. Not like my friend who has a 2-year plan for her houses). I agree, I dont want to just jump into some house I dont like just to be on my own. Houses are WAY too pricey to do that!! I do think we need to just sit down and discuss how we both feel about the situation, and what we would like to do to make things comfortable for both of us.

PS: To the last poster - our wedding plans ARE in February 2008
So we have another 6 months.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been living on my own for about a year now, and it is hard but it has really made me a different person!

Yes, it is financially straining, and yes you do get lonely, but you discover your self.
Now my boyfriend is moving in with me in october, he is moving all the way from Australia to Germany! It will be hard and good, I have learnt so much about my self that i wont let the same mistakes happen again like i did with my EX.

It sounds to me you arent ready to get married to this guy

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehe, I meant 2009.. I don't do dates well. It's good that you have your own space. I think you're right that his mom is probably bored, and probably trying to help by doing laundry since she's got free time while you guys are putting in 60 hours a week (or more?). That's a difficult spot to be put in..because she's obviously trying to help and while it's frustrating.. it's got to be something that is difficult to resolve. Perhaps you could offer to "help" by just telling her not to worry about putting it away or anything.. that she's done way more than you can thank her for already by washing it, and you'll be happy to hang it in the closet or put it away? If you have time off on the weekends (not sure what your schedule is), perhaps you could offer to do a meal on the weekends (which they'll eat .. but only make enough so that leftovers last till about Wednesday, so that then you'll have "new" leftovers mid week from the meal that they cook).

Dunno what else to suggest. It's totally got to be frustrating to be in that position, but it's such an opportunity that most people never get that I'm sure both of you really appreciate it. If you guys can afford to put more into savings per month, say like $1500, by eliminating a few things, that might be better for you, since you'll be able to get out of there 50% faster. You're already doing a fantastic job at saving, and I want to commend you both.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Hehe, I meant 2009.. I don't do dates well. It's good that you have your own space. I think you're right that his mom is probably bored, and probably trying to help by doing laundry since she's got free time while you guys are putting in 60 hours a week (or more?). That's a difficult spot to be put in..because she's obviously trying to help and while it's frustrating.. it's got to be something that is difficult to resolve. Perhaps you could offer to "help" by just telling her not to worry about putting it away or anything.. that she's done way more than you can thank her for already by washing it, and you'll be happy to hang it in the closet or put it away? If you have time off on the weekends (not sure what your schedule is), perhaps you could offer to do a meal on the weekends (which they'll eat .. but only make enough so that leftovers last till about Wednesday, so that then you'll have "new" leftovers mid week from the meal that they cook).
We do work every other Saturday (although I'm hoping that will change soon when I move to my new position - that is an optional Saturday thing, it will just be LOADS of extra hours during the week instead). We both are at work 10-11 hours a day. But even when we're not working at our companies, we're doing something for someone! (I cant wait for retirement! Only like 40 years to go
)

She doesn't put our clothes away in a dresser or closet, I actually don't know where they end up sometimes
Sometimes they are on the dining room table, sometimes they are on a chair in the computer room, sometimes in a basket by the dryer, sometimes on the couch in our room ... the part that gets me is trying to FIND where stuff is, because we dont always know when or if it has been washed or not, and where to look.

Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Dunno what else to suggest. It's totally got to be frustrating to be in that position, but it's such an opportunity that most people never get that I'm sure both of you really appreciate it. If you guys can afford to put more into savings per month, say like $1500, by eliminating a few things, that might be better for you, since you'll be able to get out of there 50% faster. You're already doing a fantastic job at saving, and I want to commend you both.

Once I start my new position and get my two raises that come with it, we definitely will begin saving more than $1000. Probably between $1500-2000/month instead. And thank you for commending us on our saving

Plus, this upcoming week, his mom is in Ohio until Thursday and his dad is out of town until Friday (his job requires him to go out of town usually every week) - so we will generally have the house to ourselves for those first 4 days. His brother will come and go, but he works nights - we're in bed by the time he gets home, and when we get home from work he's gone to work. I love weeks like that
Makes it feel like we really do have a house (although rather large for just 2 of us) to ourselves

We definitely will be sitting down to talk about a plan, and begin to look harder and more actively for land/a house. We did call our realtor friend today, she didnt answer. The land we are looking at may be promising as long as it isnt swampy, so that will be a step in the right direction

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DH feels that you are not ready to be married till you handle things on your own - that means all expenses.

And I'm a bit suspicious on them not wanting you out. Still sounds to me like she's trying to control both of you by trying to disguise it as "helpful". You both need to sit down and outline some guidelines on what is acceptable or not when it comes to how much family time should be. Ground rules on them calling before stopping by, how often is it ok for visits? What about vacation plans?

How many times have just the two of you been alone on a date or vacation? You also might really consider checking into a pre-marriage course with him with a local church group. Those can be real eye openers on things to come. And you will see really where the two of you stand and if this is the right person.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in the You need to get your own place crowd.

I lived with my hubby and my in-laws...AFTER we had been married for a year and lived together independantly for several years. We had also both lived on our own (with roommates) previous to that.

There are important things learned by living on your own. And I only lived with my in-laws for 6 months. I have no idea how you are in it for 2 years.
I get along with my in-laws much better when not under the same roof. Same goes for my own parents. I never let my MIL wash my clothes...I was mortified at the idea of her finding my thong underwear or something equally embarrassing.

At the end of those 6 months, I took the first apartment we found that took 3 cats. I really didn't care. And since the hubby knows: if the wife's unhappy, he's unhappy--he went along with it. We lived there for 3+ years and I got along great with my in-laws once we had our own place.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

And I'm a bit suspicious on them not wanting you out. Still sounds to me like she's trying to control both of you by trying to disguise it as "helpful". You both need to sit down and outline some guidelines on what is acceptable or not when it comes to how much family time should be. Ground rules on them calling before stopping by, how often is it ok for visits? What about vacation plans?

How many times have just the two of you been alone on a date or vacation? You also might really consider checking into a pre-marriage course with him with a local church group. Those can be real eye openers on things to come. And you will see really where the two of you stand and if this is the right person.
We go out by ourselves often on dates (even made a date night every Saturday
), and we've been on vacations before, taken A LOT of road trips, just the two of us, since we've been together, etc. We DO do things by ourselves too. Last year we'd go to the beach every Friday after work, but our new work schedules (we've both switched jobs since then) dont allow us to manage that anymore. We have another vacation coming up too in the next month or so, depending on when we can make the plans to go. We've never gone on a vacation with them (the 4th of July beach thing was at a beach 30 miles away - we live close to the coast of SC). They DID want us to go to Maine with them to visit his family up there (some of whom I met in 05), but that is because he rarely sees them unless a large occasion comes up. We couldnt break away from work for 2-3 weeks to join them.

Basically the only "you have to go now" situations his parents have mentioned would be 1. if I got pregnant (we take measures to prevent that, we want cats not kids!); 2. if the fiance gets out of college (which isnt happening either just now, because we work A LOT to save up money so we only go to classes PT every spring & fall semester).

I do know we will be setting guidelines when we have our house. I dont want it to be one of those open door anyone-is-welcome-anytime thing, and he doesnt either (I just asked
I heard a "uhhhh NO." as a reply across the room).

We ARE going to look at the land tomorrow, so we possibly COULD be having something in the works soon. I hope its a good parcel!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I never let my MIL wash my clothes...I was mortified at the idea of her finding my thong underwear or something equally embarrassing.
Oh she has already found my thongs, AND has bought me some for birthdays or christmas on top of that! I think I was slightly
the first time I opened a Victoria's Secret box and saw more thongs, from his mom!!! I do keep the more sexy clothing aside and do a quick load of laundry when I have a chance and when no one is home to stumble across it.

I get along fine with them, really. But there are just times when I know I want out like, NOW. I LOVE living with Rob, I am so happy waking up with him every morning & going to bed with him every night, but I am just really ready for that to be happening in a place of our own. With two kittens sleeping in a bed on the floor

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehe, I think you ought to be prepared to share your bed with the kitties.. I don't think they're necessarily going to see it your way 'bout the bed on the floor..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have a few things worked out but I still highly recommend you both take the pre-marriage course before you sign those papers! Won't hurt and it could help a lot!