Decided to post new pictures of our "herders"...

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here they are....our Shelties and our Border Collie....

(From L to R: Dreamer, Presley, & Nykie)

This is Dreamer....the one who always gets mistaken for a Collie...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought Dreamer was a Collie, so I looked again....nope....Sheltie.

Is she large for a Sheltie or what gives her the "Collie" look?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwwwww how beautiful those babies are
I love that first pic!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I thought Dreamer was a Collie, so I looked again....nope....Sheltie.

Is she large for a Sheltie or what gives her the "Collie" look?
Dreamer is large for a Sheltie. He actually bypassed his parents, grandparents, and aunt in size. We had originally planned to show him, but he's 2" over standard. His hair makes him look that much larger. He actually comes from very good bloodlines, but not falling within "standard" is common with a Sheltie. Many people mistake Shelties for "Miniature Collies", but Shelties and Collies are 2 separate breeds; however, throughout history, the Pomeranian had been used to bring the size down, but when they started losing the "Collie" look, the Rough Coated Collie was introduced back into the bloodlines. It's clear with our two who came from the Pom type lines and who came from the Collie type, not just in looks, but in body type, and yappiness.
Up until Dreamer bypassed the size for standard, he was being looked at by an AKC judge and had terrific conformation. Personally, I prefer the larger Shelties. I love the small ones, but if I had to choose, I would choose the ones that are at the higher end of standard (16" at the withers). He's still an excellent boy, though. He has a fantastic temperament, excellent movement, etc. He is a certified therapy dog, so he's accustomed to going to nursing homes, as well. That's my boy!

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

They are so adorable!!

Looks like you do some agility training with them.
I do.
I love agility! Here are a few more agility photos...

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very pretty. I've thought about having Kota certified. However she gets too excited around new people. Perhaps with age she will settle down. She has gotten better with training but it's not totally managed yet. I like the larger size too.

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

Very pretty. I've thought about having Kota certified. However she gets too excited around new people. Perhaps with age she will settle down. She has gotten better with training but it's not totally managed yet. I like the larger size too.
Does she? How old is she now? I started training Dreamer right after I got him and he was checked by the vet. He was 11wks old on his first visit, so he got lots of training up until he was able to be certified at 1yr old.
He's now 19 months. He's always been very calm, so I didn't have a problem with him. I would love to train Presley, our other Sheltie for it, but she gets horribly carsick and then she goes into a super-fear mode once she's away from home. She's the friendliest and most energetic at home, but not out in public. We've tried a number of things to ease her carsickness, such as Benedrly, fasting her, Ginger, Rescue Remedy, etc., but nothing has worked.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNKittyMom

Does she? How old is she now? I started training Dreamer right after I got him and he was checked by the vet. He was 11wks old on his first visit, so he got lots of training up until he was able to be certified at 1yr old.
He's now 19 months. He's always been very calm, so I didn't have a problem with him. I would love to train Presley, our other Sheltie for it, but she gets horribly carsick and then she goes into a super-fear mode once she's away from home. She's the friendliest and most energetic at home, but not out in public. We've tried a number of things to ease her carsickness, such as Benedrly, fasting her, Ginger, Rescue Remedy, etc., but nothing has worked.
She's 3 now. Up until 2 she would pee anytime my FIL came into the room. She'll still do an excitement pee with other strangers sometimes. Though it does help if she is leashed with me and I put her in a sit/stay. If she rolls over though she's gonna pee! Or if I see her putting her feet out to the side. Then I have to tell the person to wait and I walk her around for a minute to get her calmer. Then let her approach again. It's just that she is so eager to be petted by others that she gets excited and relieves herself.

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

She's 3 now. Up until 2 she would pee anytime my FIL came into the room. She'll still do an excitement pee with other strangers sometimes. Though it does help if she is leashed with me and I put her in a sit/stay. If she rolls over though she's gonna pee! Or if I see her putting her feet out to the side. Then I have to tell the person to wait and I walk her around for a minute to get her calmer. Then let her approach again. It's just that she is so eager to be petted by others that she gets excited and relieves herself.
That's what I go through with Nykie, the Border Collie. She does the excitement/submissive pee. It's not consistent, but enough that I can't take her on therapy visits right now. She's gotten better about it, since I try to take her with me alot more, but we're still not where we need to be.