TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Health Insurance
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Health Insurance

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I am so upset. The company my DH works for has decided that rather than lay anyone off, they are discontinuing health insurance. He has conditions that require him to keep regular doctor appointments. Treatments were just beginning to help. I'm looking into private insurance because he needs this so bad, but I don't know how we are going to be able to afford it. If there is a gap in coverage, I believe he will need to go through a waiting period for his pre-existing conditions. This s
post #2 of 17
I am so sorry to hear this.My husband and I both work for ourselves and dont have any health coverage so we have to pay out of pocket which hurts when we have an emergency or need to see the doctor.I have tried to find low cost coverage but I dont think there is such a thing, so expensive.Good luck with your search
post #3 of 17
Awww, that super sucks!

Private coverage is expensive too
post #4 of 17
Please get health insurance, no matter what you have to go through.

Here is an idea: Why don't you have a meeting with all of the employees at your husband's work, and group together, and get private health insurance as a group? It is cheaper that way and then everyone still has insurance. I'm not sure exactly how you go about doing this, but it's better than nothing.

I'm sorry about your husband's job. It's sad to me that our country allows this to happen.
post #5 of 17
That is horrible. Things like this make me very glad I live in Canada!
post #6 of 17
Auw, that really hurts, I hope you guys will figure out a solution soon. I can't imagine living in a country where health insurance isn't a basic, I guess we are really lucky here then.

I wish you the best of luck,

Angie.
post #7 of 17
Have you contacted the doctors office? Most times if you tell them that you do not have insurance, they will give you a discounted rate (or place you on a payment plan). I'm not sure what his conditions are (and you don't have to say them btw), but most doctors are pretty reasonable about that - at least around here they are.
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks, everybody for the kind words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
Please get health insurance, no matter what you have to go through.

Here is an idea: Why don't you have a meeting with all of the employees at your husband's work, and group together, and get private health insurance as a group? It is cheaper that way and then everyone still has insurance. I'm not sure exactly how you go about doing this, but it's better than nothing.

I'm sorry about your husband's job. It's sad to me that our country allows this to happen.
Thanks. I agree. I almost posted in the "Sicko" thread in IMO, but I'm too upset to deal with debating.

The meeting idea is a good one, but I have my doubts if many of them would go for it. My DH is one of the oldest there and more in need of insurance than most. It couldn't hurt to ask though...

I'm going to meet with a friend who sells insurance. She quoted me a price that is less than adding him on at my work would be. Its still going to be very tough, but we can't afford for him not to have it either.

Wah.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
Have you contacted the doctors office? Most times if you tell them that you do not have insurance, they will give you a discounted rate (or place you on a payment plan). I'm not sure what his conditions are (and you don't have to say them btw), but most doctors are pretty reasonable about that - at least around here they are.

Ours gives us a discount rate which really helps, honestly anything helps.
I do have a discount plan on dental which helps as well I got that through cigna online.You may be able to find a discount health plan which I know is offered and is better then nothing I suppose.Our doctor though gives discounts to those with out health coverage,yours may do the same
post #10 of 17
I don't know what I'd do if my husband lost his health insurance, he's on 5 medications - 4 of which he must have.

Is there a date set for when your husband's insurance is terminated? If you can get him in to see a doctor before that and explain what's happening maybe the doctor will be willing to write out prescriptions for a couple of months so you can go ahead and get the medicine now while the insurance still pays for most of it.
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
Have you contacted the doctors office? Most times if you tell them that you do not have insurance, they will give you a discounted rate (or place you on a payment plan). I'm not sure what his conditions are (and you don't have to say them btw), but most doctors are pretty reasonable about that - at least around here they are.
We just found out, so I haven't contacted anyone yet.

I'm not sure I want his primary doctor to know. He fills perscriptions over the phone, so we might be able to keep those coming for a little while. That particular script (from the primary) is not very expensive.

I would love to think that his rheumatologist would help. His treatments are a big expense. I doubt that we could get any help there though. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
I don't know what I'd do if my husband lost his health insurance, he's on 5 medications - 4 of which he must have.

Is there a date set for when your husband's insurance is terminated? If you can get him in to see a doctor before that and explain what's happening maybe the doctor will be willing to write out prescriptions for a couple of months so you can go ahead and get the medicine now while the insurance still pays for most of it.
You and me are on the same page. He has several refills left, that I would like to get filled ASAP.

As far as the date, he was told the end of the month unless they can find a way to extend it one more month. I believe his employer is doing everything she can to keep the doors open, so I can't blame her. I don't understand the end of the month part though. I could be wrong, but I thought that he paid for a month before his insurance kicked in to begin with.
post #13 of 17
I'm sorry for your troubles.

Please check into COBRA. I believe it is a federal law - across the board - that an employer must offer to exiting employees. In your husband's case where they are ridding it because it is expensive, this might apply (but I have direct experience regarding this).

Please ask his HR dept if it applies in this case.
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDubbie View Post
I'm sorry for your troubles.

Please check into COBRA. I believe it is a federal law - across the board - that an employer must offer to exiting employees. In your husband's case where they are ridding it because it is expensive, this might apply (but I have direct experience regarding this).

Please ask his HR dept if it applies in this case.
Thanks. If he is elligible for COBRA, it is worth checking out. I recently asked some questions on behalf of a friend and was told that COBRA is very expensive though.
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
We just found out, so I haven't contacted anyone yet.

I'm not sure I want his primary doctor to know. He fills perscriptions over the phone, so we might be able to keep those coming for a little while. That particular script (from the primary) is not very expensive.

I would love to think that his rheumatologist would help. His treatments are a big expense. I doubt that we could get any help there though. Thanks for the suggestion.
It never hurts to ask
post #16 of 17
Back in 2005 when my office closed I had a years worth of insurance at my same pay rate as part of my severance package then of course was eligible through Cobra but the Cobra price was very expensive as it was the price that the company paid and what I paid combined!! It was over $700/month. I worked for a Fortune 10 company and that was probably a good rate.

Anyhow there are many companies that offer private helath insurance but I don't know any particulars. I know a national company Humana offers coverage but I don't know about drug coverage.
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adymarie View Post
That is horrible. Things like this make me very glad I live in Canada!
I am glad we don't have to pay to go to the doctor, but going to the dentist and eye doctor is expensive.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Health Insurance