You worry about your kitties nutrition, so how's yours??

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know everyone here is very concerned about what ingredients are in their cat food and its quality factor, but what about your human nutritional needs?

Does everyone show as much concern for their own nutrtion???

I ask only because I was just thinking about the amount of preservatives and bad ingredients in many popular human foods and for some, this is uncceptable for their cats! (oh yes, me included)

So how would you compare your nutrition to your kitty's????

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a super health freak, but growing up my mom was always watching what we ate and regulating junkfood. I still try to eat healthy, I rarely eat fast food. I don't drink much soda, I try to either drink water or fruit juice. I eat healthy as much as I can. I forget what the exact statistics are, but in the united states there are more obese people, than people that are the correct weight. I never want to fall into those statistics.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha ha, I'm a chef and I never consider my own nutritional needs, I eat everything at the top of the food pyramid
. Having said that, I do cook healthy meals every other day.

The only time I worry about human nutrition is when I'm working in a kitchen. I used to work at a boarding school, so had to plan a menu around the teenagers requirements.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well i only eat about 1 meal a day and it prob isnt that healthy. I was always told that I worry about cats more then me. My oarents used to joke when I was little (i dont think they were joking) that if there was a fire I would save the cats first.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I ate healthier then I do - I am trying to make sure my boys eat right. I am making an effort. Carrot sticks just don't have the same crunch as potato chips.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just like my child ate before I did when I was poor, now that I'm not poor, my kitties eat better than I do.

I admit though that I do eat much healthier than I used to.

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never really thought about it before now... Roxie eats much much better than I do. I really don't eat healthy... We will get take-out anywhere from 1-3 times a week. And I'm a big snacker... Hmm, maybe I should consider eating a little better

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I eat healthily during the week but when the weekend comes in it's takeaways and eating out! I try and avoid processed food and I never go for junk food like McDonalds, Burger King etc. It's Indian and pasta that are my big downfalls.

I'm not a crisp person but I have a horrendous sweet tooth.

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I see what a difference it's making to my body by just making some small changes in diet, I tried stick to it. Hubby & I stopped eating fast food after watching the movie Super Size. I rarely cook so we bought cooked package meat to put on top of salads or in sandwiches. I look for low sodium/low fat products. I think we're doing okay, just passing grade, but our kitties definitely eat better than us.

Originally Posted by ClaireBear

I forget what the exact statistics are, but in the united states there are more obese people, than people that are the correct weight.
About 65% people in US are either overweight or obese.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats eat way better than I do... By far. While they munch on EVO and Felidae wet... Im usually eating something deep fried, or fast and easy to make. Its sad that I care more about my kitties nutrition that i do my own.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a healthy-food freak!

I prepare all our meals from scratch, we eat very few refined foods (sugars, flours), no bad oils, no artifical colors or flavors, and I treat artifical sugars like the poisons they are. Any occasional packaged convenience foods have the labels carefully scrutinized before they are bought. We also stay away from plastics as much as possible, both in contact with our foods and in our enviroment.

Hey, when you have four auto-immune diseases and a host of other health problems, you want to give your body every fighting chance!

We eat very well and there's no suffering or feelings of being deprived. Our favorite weekend breakfast is whole wheat blueberry pancakes with butter and pure maple syrup, and scrambled eggs on the side.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have some health problems so I have to eat healthy. But if I had a choice I would eat more junkfood then I do now. LOL

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have alot of health problems and I am suppose to follow a strict diet... Which actually may be beneficial (for my digestive issues) but hurts me at the same time (heart health)... Im suppose to be on an veggie/fruit, and dairy Free diet (because I have colonic inertia...) and Im suppose to eat meat, poultry, eggs, etc... Great just what I need... to bump my cholesterol and attribute to my family heart history (Ive had high cholesterol before and I have MVP - heart condition)... So no matter what I eat it isnt doing me any good. Damned my stubborn body!!!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My nutrition is fantastic
. I study nutrition as a hobby (its very common to see me face down in a bunch of peer reviewed medical journals
), so when it comes to my health, my dogs' health and my cats' health... we're all on the ball... except for Tryon. I can't get her to eat anything except dry food, but I'm working on it.

But my personal nutrition goes something like this:

1. No soy, grains, starches, polyunsaturated oils
2. No dairy, as I have a casein allergy
3. Salt is ok - but ONLY unrefined (gray) sea salt
4. Good fats: virgin coconut oil, olive oil, homemade ghee (not processed ghee and not vegetable oil based fake ghee) and animal fats.
5. Only grass fed, organic meat (although admittedly this one has slid just a little over the past few weeks since I'm broke)
6. Organic, heirloom veggies.... am planning my own organic garden soon, but can't plant until september... or maybe october... I have to recheck that. Gardening people - reminder on when is a good time to plant veggies in zone 9 or 10 please? (Depending on which map you see, I'm either in the south half of 9 or the north half of 10)

In a nutshell: The closer it is to pre-agriculture life, the happier I am.

I suppose it sounds kind of restrictive, but when you start eating this way you realize it's really not. DH eats this way as well, although he also includes dairy because he's not allergic. But when you think that last night for dinner we had (bunless) bacon cheeseburgers with a side of broccoli cooked in bacon drippings, it really doesn't sound nearly as boring

It's really great. I've never felt better

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine isn't that great. It isn't that I eat junk food (aside from the pepsi addiction), I really can't eat anything greasy or fatty. The problem is that I don't eat as much as I should
Because of past problems with my gallbladder and whatever is wrong with my digestive tract now, I don't always tolerate food, any food, very well.

Were I to follow a diet similar to what MuttigreeMom does, I'd probably be better off.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to eat 5 small healthy meals/snacks a day and watch out for sugar. I also haven't had a soft drink in years...so that helps to
Also- no real milk here- only Lactaid Fat Free (i'm lactose intolerant so i have to be careful what i eat that has dairy in it- some yogurts are ok but you have to watch out for hidden sugars/etc. I like to eat low fat frozen yogurt instead of ice cream/etc -when i HAVE to splurge, it's always ice cream and i always have my lactaid pills
)

I also try to buy whole wheat pastas as i cook a TON of pasta and i stick to leaner meats and make sure i drian them well and cook them in healthy oils. I'm also a spinach nut so i love to use spinach in a lot of things. It just depends for me. I don't always eat the best stuff- but i do try. I cook the vast majority of our meals at home because fast food has a lot of grease depending on where you go and i also don't like a lot of hidden ingredients (sugars/etc). I'd rather cook my own stuff and know exactly what i'm eating

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love "healthy" foods ... but the diet that makes me feel best ( the blood type one doesnt allow me my rice as much as I like or potatos ... it allows alot of lean red meats( I hate red meat) but I wma learning and lossing weight ... I noticed my theigh and calfs are rock hard and all I do is walk/.....

THIS diet has helped my myriad of immune and other disorders:_)

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not where it should be, but most of the time, not only do I read labels with a passion, but we try to eat locally grown or organic. I prefer to cook from scratch, with basic real food components..though I sure have my days of wanting convenience foods (I can find frozen healthy food too easily!! Like Dr. Pragers spinach or sweet potato pancakes).

We are trying to get more into what Nina Planck calls "Real Food" after reading her book of the same name. Found a source for raw milk (what an incredible difference in taste), looking to find raw milk cheeses.

Stuff with artificial sweeteners are a huge no-no..if I want sweet, it will be with maple syrup, honey or real sugar.

Just starting to learn how to use coconut flour, almond flour and coconut oil in cooking.

For health reasons, and for a love of cooking and food reasons, we take what we buy and what we eat pretty seriously.

Especially since I've injured a knee and been diagnosed with arthritis in both knees (and lower back), will be eating to lose weight, working to strengthen muscles.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

I have alot of health problems and I am suppose to follow a strict diet... Which actually may be beneficial (for my digestive issues) but hurts me at the same time (heart health)... Im suppose to be on an veggie/fruit, and dairy Free diet (because I have colonic inertia...) and Im suppose to eat meat, poultry, eggs, etc... Great just what I need... to bump my cholesterol and attribute to my family heart history (Ive had high cholesterol before and I have MVP - heart condition)... So no matter what I eat it isnt doing me any good. Damned my stubborn body!!!
Please read this page: http://www.ninaplanck.com/index.php?..._Low_Fat_Study It supports what I've already experienced...that eating real butter, dark chocolate, red meat improves my cholesterol levels, drops my ldl and triglycerides significantly.

ps I have mvp too

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scott and I have been getting better. It's pretty gross at how many calories and fat are in a lot of the meals of our favorite places to go to. We still go to our favorite places, and are able to live with some of the healthier choices on the menu. At least we don't have to give up our favorite places. I even go to McDonalds sometimes....I love their premium salads! There are at least 11 worse things to order than a big mac (most are on the breakfast menu). We are just more aware now of the bad menu items at our favorite places. We still have a good variety of choices, so we aren't bored, and certainly aren't eating salad all the time!