Wisdom Panel MX

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I thought I'd post this and see what ya'll think! We had a meeting yesterday and apparently they now have the ability to draw your dog's blood and determine what breeds it is! It isn't like... 100% because a rep from the company said that they only look at breeds that your dog has at least 12% of. So if your dog is 8% chihuahua it won't mention that breed.

http://www.whatsmydog.com/

The kit costs $85 for the vets to buy... so you'll be looking at spending at least that much and more if you want the panel run.

They're saying it's not only for those with mutts but also people with purebreds to "make sure" their dog is pure!

I don't know, I think it's pretty cool just in that it would be fun to test my own dogs and see what exactly their mixes are... but only if I had $85 just lying around

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I'm totally bumping this. I just sent out blood today on my dog LiLo [picture below]. I'm guessing she'll come back as Shepherd and something... but I don't know for sure. I'm way excited, it just sucks that it costs $85.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it would be cool! My Coco's supposed to be a purebred. Macey both parents are purebred....one Lab & one GSP. I wonder, though...because the GPS weighs almost 100 lbs. As does my Macey....she's gigantic for the breed mix!

Those would be awesome for shelter dogs, though!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They can now define dog dna past dog??

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Apparently so!

You can you it yourself at home for $80 through MetaMorphix
Yeah although the Wisdom Panel is way expensive [almost $200] it covers 130 breeds, the Heritage test only does 38. It sucks with both because someone might have a bt coonhound cross and not know because they can't test for the breed yet... I went with the Wisdom panel because it has more breeds, but still not all of them.

One of the clients at the clinic ran a heritage test their dog came back as husky/mastiff [it's a 30lb dog!] so they are doing the wisdom panel test to see if the results differ!

I'm way excited, it just sucks having to way 2-4 weeks for results!

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got the results and....

Her highest % was Curly Coated Retriever.

"In the mix":
Bichon, Chow Chow, Border Terrier, and Rottweiler.

At least now if I try to move into an apartment and they say "No rotti's" I can say "She's a curly coated retriever and I have paperwork that says so!" xD

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Breed specific health tests have been out for awhile. Not this particular test, but purebred health issue testing.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Breed specific health tests have been out for awhile. Not this particular test, but purebred health issue testing.
That and DNA testing has been around for a while, just not offered in dogs. It's been in horses and cattle for ages.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought those two DNA breed tests were pretty cool when the first came out. However, I've seen results on several dogs who were tested with both the "Wisdom Panel" and the "Canine Heritage" tests and they received COMPLETELY different results from the two tests! That really makes me suspicious of their accuracy.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"Wisdom Panel" and the "Canine Heritage" tests and they received COMPLETELY different results from the two tests! That really makes me suspicious of their accuracy.
I agree with this! Our client tested their dogs with the Wisdom Panel and Heritage test. The results were different, Wisdom Panel's results were more realistic but I think in the scheme of things the blood test is best suited for someone who has a dog likely to be purebred, or be a cross between to purebreds. Like if you got a dog from the shelter whome you suspected was a Labradoodle, they might be worth testing. I mean all this says really is that both parents of my dog LiLo were 100% mutts.

It was fun to do, but kind of pointless because she really is, just a mutt :p

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was debating on having the Wisdom Panel MX done on my Dog Bonnie... Of course finding out her Breed doesn't change anything, it could still be fun just to se.
The next Vet visit she has im gonna talk to the Vet about getting it Done... if not her then if I get Bear, when I take him in to get Fixed im gonna talk to the Vet about getting it done on him.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was debating on having the Wisdom Panel MX done on my Dog Bonnie... Of course finding out her Breed doesn't change anything, it could still be fun just to se. The next Vet visit she has im gonna talk to the Vet about getting it Done... if not her then if I get Bear, when I take him in to get Fixed im gonna talk to the Vet about getting it done on him.
You know, it was fun. It doesn't change anything about my dog but it's kind of fun just to know what she contains :p