New Mum Behaviour

kerzel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My cat gave birth yesterday morning to three kittens and spent all day nursing them. They all look healthy and their stomachs are nicely rounded.

My question is, how often is it normal for the queen to leave the nest to eat, etc. at this stage?

I heard Darcy get up three or four times during the night to eat, drink and use her litter. She always got back in the nest within 5 or so minutes.

Is this normal?

Any help much appreciated!

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes this is normal as long as she is going back and not staying away for long amounts of time.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she has to go eat and use the litterbox and stretch her legs doesn't she??
Can't expect her to lay there forever

Yes it is normal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kerzel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for the replies - you have reassured me.

One more question, she's not been for a no. 2 yet since she gave birth yesterday - is that normal?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kerzel

thank you for the replies - you have reassured me.

One more question, she's not been for a no. 2 yet since she gave birth yesterday - is that normal?
Did she eat the placentas? I have seen queens go either way after eating placentas ... some will bind right up and become constipated, others get a nasty, smelly case of poopy butt. Just make sure she has plenty of good, high-quality kitten-formula foods in both wet and dry, plenty of clean, fresh water and as a treat to aid her in both digestion and milk production, you can give her a little gently warmed goat's milk a couple of times per day if she likes it. Don't use cow's milk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kerzel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, gayef.

She did eat all the placentas so I guess they slowed her down a bit. She has just been to her litter and seems more comfortable now.

Thanks for your help - I'm a first timer when it comes to newborn kittens and a bit of an anxious granny!