Should I be worried?

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted two kittens, who are 3 and a half months old. They seem to be doing really well - they are very active and social and their seems to be no end to their appetites! However, a couple things concern me: first, when one of them smells something (like if she is smelling my hair, for example), she sounds really sniffly - she doesn't seem to go around sniffling constantly, but I notice if she is purposely checking something out, she sounds sniffly (while the other kitten does not). Also, they both have had something brown in their nose - at first, I thought it was dirt or canned food - I wipe it out of their nose, but the next day it is back. Is it common for kittens to get stuff in their nose like that, or could it be a discharge indicating illness?

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know about the sniffing, but my kitten used to get brown on his nose too. (like boogers). I would just remove them while he slept. He doesn't get them anymore.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could just be boogies, but it sounds like it may be the start of a URI (kitty cold).
If they were mine, I'd be taking them to the vet to be certain as a URI is best treated when caught early.

By the way, welcome to the site, hope you stick around!
And enjoy those new babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies - sorry to make my first post a question rather than introduction (I found you when doing internet searches for kitty medical info) - I will check out more of the board after work! It looks like a great, active site

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is one of the best (if not THE best) websites on the internet. The folks here are caring and loving and are respectful to others. Hope you'll stay around, read, learn (I can't tell you how much I've learned here), socialize with all of us and become part of TCS community.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Yosemite

My kitties went to the vet today and they are fine - even though they didn't have an infection, it was good to go - they got FIV tests (negative) and parasite exams (no worms) and a plan to get their next booster shot soon.

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your kitties are OK. Welcome to a great place from Peaches, Josie, Arthur and Paisley and me, too.

minimax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

This is one of the best (if not THE best) websites on the internet. The folks here are caring and loving and are respectful to others. Hope you'll stay around, read, learn (I can't tell you how much I've learned here), socialize with all of us and become part of TCS community.

THE BEST

I know I am Max and these people Love me