Wisdom Teeth

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am getting soooo hungry. I had my wisdom teeth out yesterday and I am really swollen and sore. I have stitches in 3 of them which is driving me crazy. The worst pain and swelling is supposed to happen between 48 and 72 hours and it has been about 37 hours since the surgery. I went back to the dentist this afternoon and he said that it is looking really good though and I don't need to be prescribed anything extra (other than the Tylenol 3's he gave me yesterday).

How long were you swollen/sore when you got your wisdom teeth out?

Here is a couple of pictures to show how swollen I am.

Before (taken last week):

Taken a few minutes ago, don't mind the messy hair, I have just been laying around all day.

I can't wait until it is healed, I am going to go out for a nice big dinner.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was swollen and sore for about two weeks.
Don't get too worried, I think my dentist was a quack, the sockets were not sutured and I was given nothing for pain management afterwards.
All 4 were pulled the same day (which is something most dentists would try to avoid doing).
I also got an abscess because of the unsutured sockets.

Your face looks WAY better than mine did afterwards.
Mine looked like I'd been beaten and I swear the guy had to put a knee in my chest for leverage to extract the lower left one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I was swollen and sore for about two weeks.
Don't get too worried, I think my dentist was a quack, the sockets were not sutured and I was given nothing for pain management afterwards.
All 4 were pulled the same day (which is something most dentists would try to avoid doing).
I also got an abscess because of the unsutured sockets.

Your face looks WAY better than mine did afterwards.
Mine looked like I'd been beaten and I swear the guy had to put a knee in my chest for leverage to extract the lower left one.
All 4 of mine were pulled yesterday. My lower left one he was working at for like half an hour. He was drilling at it and chipping and stuff. That one is the one that mainly hurts. Mine was growing kind of underneath the tooth beside it.
I was awake for the whole thing too. I had the gas on my nose, but I still knew what was going on. All I could hear was drilling, pulling and snipping.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey-I know how ya feel!! I had mine out in April, all went well and I didnt have the bad swelling, but being hungry really sucked, because all you can eat is soups/jellos....or I did anyways..

I will send you some get well soon vibes and some go down swelling vibes!!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eww yuck!

Mine had no actual problems, they were fully grown in, but they were too big for my mouth

I couldn't set my jaw properly when I closed my mouth so I drooled a lot before they were pulled.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked like Marlon Brando in The GodFather, plus add some bruising. It was horrible. It take about 1-2 weeks to feel "normal". Eat some jello, soup and cheesies melt nicely in your mouth.

Good luck.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

All 4 of mine were pulled yesterday. My lower left one he was working at for like half an hour. He was drilling at it and chipping and stuff. That one is the one that mainly hurts. Mine was growing kind of underneath the tooth beside it.
I was awake for the whole thing too. I had the gas on my nose, but I still knew what was going on. All I could hear was drilling, pulling and snipping.
Oh sweetie, I hate hate HATE the dentist.... I'm not even sure about my wisdom teeth because I've successfully completely avoided him for yearssssss!!!!!
I have an appt. on the 30th which is coming up fast and I keep getting panicky and think about cancelling.

I really hope you feel better fast!!!! Eeek, your post is making me cringe and even tremble a little!!!

Yeah, I'm a baby when it comes to dental work. It scares me more than ANYTHING!!!

tammie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth surgically removed 20 years ago and luckily, I was knocked out for it!

2 of mine were impacted (hooked under the ones beside them) and the other 2 were so big, they were started to cut the gum under them whenever I closed my mouth .... and they were still growing! To this day, I'm disappointed that I forgot to ask to see those teeth afterwards.

I was badly bruised and swollen to the point of being shiny .... of course, the first thing my husband did was get out the camera (this is before digital so I have no idea where the photo might be now!) It takes a week or two for the swelling to go down ... I don't recall the pain lasting all that long.

You'll be fine again in no time. Just be grateful we only get wisdom teeth once!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tammie

You'll be fine again in no time. Just be grateful we only get wisdom teeth once!
That is what I keep saying.
When I went back to the dentist yesterday for the follow up appointment I was like I am soooo glad I only have to go through this once.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oi... -shiver- I HATE the dentist too! The smell... the sounds... everything!
I still have to get mine out.
But, it can't be as bad as breaking your jaw. I knew a buddy of mine who did that in softball. He had to get his jaw wired shut.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I was only swollen for 1/2 a day. Three of my four wisdom teeth pulled out neatly and the fourth broke while he was pulling it out. that was the only part of my face that swelled. Otherwise I went out the next day with minimum pain.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eek, mine have to come out soon. They are on their way to becoming impacted. They never were supposed to break the surface! Now they're comfortable partially in, but still hurt from time to time. The dentist recommended surgical removal. So putting that off.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my 2 top ones out in 1998 or 1999. I didn't have any problem. Both were done in the dentist's office just using regular freezing.

The top left one was pulled one week. No stitches, no pain meds given. The next week I went back and had the top right one pulled. Again, no stitches or pain meds.

I was eating as normally as you can with 2 gaping holes in your gums, the next day. I just chewed with my front teeth and then went and rinsed my mouth really well and used a dental mirror to make sure that there wasn't any food stuck in the holes. I also rinsed several times per day with warm salty water to help promote healing and to keep the holes clean.

I still have my bottom wisdom teeth because I had room for them and apparently I am missing 2 adult molars, so those wisdom teeth seem to be filling in for the lack of 2 adult molars.

tammie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

How long were you swollen/sore when you got your wisdom teeth out?

Here is a couple of pictures to show how swollen I am.

I can't wait until it is healed, I am going to go out for a nice big dinner.
So how are you doing a few days later?? Is it as bad as you thought?

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tammie

So how are you doing a few days later?? Is it as bad as you thought?
It's not quite as bad as I thought. It seems like in the morning I am the most sore after sleeping on it all night. I have to sleep on my side so I just have to deal with the pain from it. I start to feel better as the day goes on, and at night I usually feel fine. I still have quite a bit of pain and swelling, but it is starting to feel better. I can open my mouth almost all the way now and talk better. I can't wait until I can eat normally though...I am so hungry.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never got swollen and it wasn't too much pain for me. I had most of my problems with my tonsils and not the wisdom teeth even though they were impacted. The pain however will go away and atleast you are not all bruised! You look good and you will start feeling a lot better soon! Just relax and rest and heal up!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turns out I am bruised. I got the bruises today. They aren't really bad, but they sure do hurt.