Cat Attributes/Specialities

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, So my boyfriend and I were just thinking about the strengths and generally agreed upon characteristics of different cat breeds. Mostly for us it would be the commonly-known breeds like: tabbies (is that a breed?), siamese, bengals, persians, sphynx, rex, um...There are tons of breeds, I know so yeah, if I didn't name them, list characteristics of your favorites. What breed is the smartest/ dumbest etc.? (I know they do that for dogs...I'm not sure HOW but German Shepards are among the smartest, Afgans the dumbest etc.) Any random breed-specific facts will be fun!!
Thanks!
Lyndsie, Steven, Luna and Sherman.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read that cats were bred more for color and body type than breed types, so they tend to not vary as much as dogs; but I have to admit that the Maine Coon and the Manx are tops!!! And I do so admire my former-feral orange tiger striped, affectionately called "Chub-Bub". To me, the MC is more "dog like" and an incredible "other-species psychologist" - he studies other people & animals and acts accordingly. The Manx is very loyal and protective of me - he is my "right hand man" - I call him my Sphinx cuz he guards me always; my grandson calls him cop-judge because if someone breaks a rule, the Manx sniffs the evidence and then finds the offender and gives them a sound trouncing!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about breeds, because I've only adopted (and worked with, at the shelter) rescue kitties -- but in my observation, red tabbies are generally friendly, easygoing sorts, and I've never met a black cat that wasn't just sweet as could be.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Torties/ Torbies = Tortitude - \t

Tortietude: That bit of spunk and attitude that makes tortoiseshell cats so unique and endearing. While very charming and lovable when calm, torties also tend to be high-strung, easily riled up, and prone to overreact.

Just ask any of us who have one!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I've never met a black cat that wasn't just sweet as could be.
That's interesting b/c now that I think about it, niether have I!
Its wierd though because black cats kinda have a superstition attached to them (although, probably not on this forum
)...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

Torties/ Torbies = Tortitude - \t

Tortietude: That bit of spunk and attitude that makes tortoiseshell cats so unique and endearing. While very charming and lovable when calm, torties also tend to be high-strung, easily riled up, and prone to overreact.

Just ask any of us who have one!
I can agree with that! My mom has one and she LOVES attention but is very demanding about it. She has this half-squeek, half-sqwauk, half-meow. She loves pets and to sit in your lap, but hates to be picked up. She loves to sleep with you but will occasionally nip at your nose and then be back purring again.

Also, I wanted to say that my new kitten looks a lot like the cat in your signiture (only kitten-er). But he has the same white "eyeliner" although, his nose bridge is white too. teehee!