A customer ACTUALLY called to apologize!! I'm shocked!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those that don't know, I work in a call center and getting yelled at is an everyday thing. Well, today a rep got a call and the caller immediately asked to speak to a supervisor and I was the lucky one that got the transfer (no, I'm not a supervisor, I'm just one of the few stupid people that agreed to take sup calls so the supervisors can do whatever it is they do
). Anyway, I'm thinking "this is going to be a doosy!"

So, I get on the phone with this lady, we get her account open, and she tells me she has called numerous times over the last couple days. I checked the notes from the other reps that have talked to her, and to be exact she called 13 times in 4 days, and was nastier with each call by what the previous reps wrote. It was over a fax she kept sending but wasn't showing in her account on the computer (they have to scan in all faxes so we can see them because the processing center is in another state).

She apparently was complaining about our company to her daughter and her daughter suggested she try to fax something to her to make sure her fax is working. She did, and her daughter called her back and said all she got was a blank piece of paper. Here, the woman was putting the paper in the fax backwards! So, she says "I just wanted to apologize to everyone and if you can get the message to the other people I talked to I would appriciate it. I know I was rude".
I was floored!! I honestly was speechless!! I've NEVER had that happen before! I just had to share!

Honestly, I have so much respect for that woman to actually call and admit it was her fault.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's such a welcome suprise somtimes, it shows that that lady actually took some responcibility for her behaviour.

Now if it would just rub off on the rest of the world

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WOW that is a great thing to happen

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd play the lottery today after that call, because after the last 8 years of being an Operator, having a customer call back and appologize is equal to winning the lottery, getting hit by lightning, or having Drew Barrymore profess her undying love to me

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
speaking of faxs..

happen to me years ago when i was doing some tech support work , for a major computer company..

we had someone who was trying to send a fax by holding the paper he wanted to fax up to the monitor. and clicking the send button...

that was a very long coversation.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

speaking of faxs..

happen to me years ago when i was doing some tech support work , for a major computer company..

we had someone who was trying to send a fax by holding the paper he wanted to fax up to the monitor. and clicking the send button...

that was a very long coversation.
Are you serious? Well no, I do believe that. I've taught people how to use the mouse on a computer, I belive it after that.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless that lady's heart! Thirteen calls... I can only imagine her frustration. To admit a mistake is rare enough, but to make a FOURTEENTH call to apologize for it?
I wish everyone were that thoughtful.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is really cool.
I am a big one for complaining if my food or service is bad, so I usually try to let them know if it was particularly good, too, or if someone was particularly helpful or nice. I figure fair is fair.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for her, but she never should have taken her frustration out on the call centre staff in the 1st place.

Having worked in a government call centre for 7 years, I know what it is to be yelled at so I never yell at anyone on the phone, no matter how much I want to. It is never the call centre rep's fault.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

I'd play the lottery today after that call, because after the last 8 years of being an Operator, having a customer call back and appologize is equal to winning the lottery, getting hit by lightning, or having Drew Barrymore profess her undying love to me
After more than six years of customer service, I can honestly say I haven't had any of those things happen to me -- apologies, lottery wins, lightning strikes or celebrity declarations of love. Alas.

Continuing with the "stupid user" hijack, at the last place I worked -- fairly early into my time there -- we had one guy come in to use the super-duper photocopier/printer/fax machine megaplex. He wanted to fax some documents to his supervisor in another province. Anyway ... He fed the documents into the loader, and all of a sudden the mega-machine made a terrible, awful, horrific sound that you never want a $15000 piece of equipment to make. He had fed the document into the loader with the pages still stapled together -- he thought the machine would remove all the staples! The end result was that the glass surface of the copier was completely scratched up, the soft plastic inside the loader was shredded, and the stapled pages were jammed up somewhere inside the printer. I wasn't privy to how big the repair bill was (I know that the machine was repaired, not replaced), but it never really worked the same after that ...