Cat-safe human foods?

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering what some cat-safe human foods are. (as occasional treats). So far I've heard of cheese, lettuce, cantalope, and plain yogurt. What human foods do you feed your cats?

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Plain cooked chicken is the treat of choice for us. All the cats go wild when they hear the refriderator open

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my kitties, Tabitha, goes CRAZY for lettuce! Actually, Spooky Bear loves it too. But Tabitha will actually turn down a piece of steak (or any other kind of meat) to eat lettuce!

hermione2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
^^ My cats won't touch lettuce! lol.

My cats nibble at my mom's homemade cornbread, and they eat a little bit of baked potato. They like scrambled eggs too (without salt on them, of course). Patrick is a big cheese fan...if he's in the house and I open the fridge, he automatically thinks I'm gonna get him some cheese.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We usually give cheese (different kinds), fruit (Charlie like banana, plum, strawberries), and sometimes a peanut or peanut butter. They also like the cheese crackers

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PLAIN meats ( boiled preferred )

some handle small amount s of cheese and PLAIN yougurt

ASPCA is a good source as they LIST THE NO NO ones

rugthugs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ha ha! What a great question!
Today, my bengals ate:
raw beef (I offered)
Suateed beef strips wth soy sauce (toddler offered)
mac and cheese (toddler offered)
hot dogs (toddler offered)
scrambled eggs with velveeta cheese and crispy bacon (toddler offered)

There is a theme here. What my kitties eat depends in great deal upon what my kiddo eats. I do intervene here but when you have two little ones, a spouse overseas, and more cats than fingers on one hand-well, the cats try many new foods.
I do let the cats try any raw meat i am preparing. Also will offer them raw veggies but usually they turn up their noses.
I prepare a meal for them from time to time of boiled chicken meat, organs, veggies and white rice. They love it but it gives them the runs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I looked up ASPCA's No-No list. For those of you who don't know, (I didn't, so I'm glad I looked it up) here it is:

Alcohol
Chocolate
Coffee
grapes and raisins
moldy food/spoiled food
onions/garlic/cloves
poultry bones
salt/salty foods
tomato leaves/stems/unripe fruit
yeast dough

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I wonder why garlic is actually sold as a seasoning for cat food? I knew about onions being a problem (only leanred recently) and thought garlic might be a problem then as well, but since then have seen it as an ingredient/additive in some cat food items. Maybe I'm imagining things.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pennicat

So I wonder why garlic is actually sold as a seasoning for cat food? I knew about onions being a problem (only leanred recently) and thought garlic might be a problem then as well, but since then have seen it as an ingredient/additive in some cat food items. Maybe I'm imagining things.
Garlic is a well controversial Item... there is as much data saying it is bad in any quantity as there is that it is fine in small amounts...

I used a garlic containing wet food ( the company caved to pressure and NOW is garlic free) for my CRF girl toward the end since she would eat it and the vet wasnt convinced that it was harmful when cooked in small amounts

angi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the process of moving from So. CA to So. WI!!
Roxy has been interested in a raw potato before. She followed me into the kitchen while I was preparing one, & when I let her sniff it & told her "see it's nothing you're interested in" she started licking it! Guess I was wrong.

Some of the other things listed here kinda crack me up.