For those who have played Hearts...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've very rarely played Hearts with people -- only with the computer-generated players on a little Hearts website I sometimes visit. As a result, I'm not familiar with the conventions of the game as played by human beings.

So last night, I was trying to have a quick, nonverbal Hearts game with the computer to numb my brain before bed when some dratted PEOPLE joined my game...
...so I had to try to chat with them while playing, but... okay, fine.

So the scores get up into the 70s and 80s, except for this one player who is very good, and she's at 40-something. Toward the end of a hand, I finally see a chance to get rid of the Queen before I get stuck with her, and I do so. The Queen ends up going to the person whose score is highest, that puts her over 100, and the game is over.

Just as I'm typing in my "Good game, thank you, goodnight everybody," this woman starts attacking me. She's furious that I gave the Queen to her instead of to the player with the lowest score. I explain that all I know is that you're supposed to try to avoid being stuck with the Queen, and that's all I had done... that I had not deliberately tried to do her harm.

But she and one of the other players remained livid, telling me I should never give the Queen to the high-scoring player, no matter what.

So... are they right? Is that a rule in Hearts that I've just missed? I mean, I've often held onto the Queen when I've felt safe, to avoid giving her to a player who isn't doing well, or to try to give her to the player who just shot the moon... but when you're down to the last two or three cards and you're still sitting there with the Queen, are you really supposed to just let yourself be stuck with her rather than risk letting the high-scorer catch her?

Please enlighten me.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call them poor losers.

I'd give the queen to whomever I could give it to. So there.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I call them poor losers.

Yeah, me too. There's a reason I don't play card games with real live people. Real live people throw hissy fits. Computers seldom do.

But ... I'm probably one of those kinds of people who'd throw a hissy fit about losing. I'm a sore loser.
Another reason why I don't play with real live people: computers seldom get offended by human hissy fits.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I call them poor losers.

At least they were just on the computer and not 'real life' people! As in, real in your life! Maybe they need to get a life!

libby'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I call them poor losers.

Me too. I mean what the heck? She won didn't she? Maybe I don't really know how to play hearts. I thought the lowest person wins. I mean you could pawn the Queen off to the person with the lowest score, but who's to say that she doesn't have all of the hearts already. She'd get 1 and everyone else would get crappy points.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, just sucks to be her... I always get rid of the queen ASAP if I dont have a good collection of hearts in my hand. Doesnt matter who I give it to - I get it out of my hands like it was the plague. She was in the wrong game at the wrong time

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they're just a sore loser! I mean sheesh it's just an internet game... I don't really pay attention to scores so much if I'm not playing online and I'd probably give the Queen to anyone just to make sure I don't get stuck with it.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a group of friends when I was younger and we constantly played either Hearts or Spades. We rarely used any other tactic than to protect yourself (e.g. drop the queen at the first opportunity). If it was a long night and we were playing multiple rounds, there were times when we would gang up on the winner just for giggles, but we joked about it as we did it.

Oh goodness, I remember staying up most of the night playing cards!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm feeling a lot better about this now! Faceless internet people or not, they made me feel like the lowest form of life for dropping that Queen, and I didn't get to sleep until 3:30!

So now I'm going back over there in hopes of a peaceful, private game... and if any of last night's players show up, I'll quote this poll to 'em!

Thanks, everybody!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What idiots!!!! They obviously need a few lessons on how to be a good loser. But I guess when you are born a loser like they obviously were for haranging you, they don't like losing anything else!