Um... I have some gross questions

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wasn't exactly sure if this forum is appropriate, please move it if it's not.

Okay, this is a serious question. Can male cats ejaculate after they've been neutered? Do they even ejaculate like human males do? And if so, does anyone know what it looks like?

Okay, here's the reason: a few nights ago I found this mucus-like substance on some papers I had on a table. There was a small amount, it was cold, so it had been there for awhile, but it was still wet, so it hadn't been there for hours. It had no smell. Earlier in the evening I saw Loki sitting there. I checked him over and he (and all his orifices) seemed fine. Because I saw Loki there, I don't think this substance came from Possum, but I did check him over, too. I checked both litterboxes, and there was nothing unusual in either.

The day after I found vomit on the floor, but I don't really know who it came from for sure, though Loki did not eat a cat treat the night before which is very unusual. Both cats have seemed fine the last few days. Both are eating and drinking fine.

A few mornings ago I woke up and he was licking his genitals, and his penis was poking out and was purple. Is this normal? He stopped licking of his own volition, and has acted normally today, so I think he was just grooming himself.

I haven't found any more of the mucus-like substance since the first time.

I'm really sorry I have to ask these questions, but I really want to know what's normal and what's not.

Tricia

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Green Bunny

I wasn't exactly sure if this forum is appropriate, please move it if it's not.

Okay, this is a serious question. Can male cats ejaculate after they've been neutered? Do they even ejaculate like human males do? And if so, does anyone know what it looks like?

Okay, here's the reason: a few nights ago I found this mucus-like substance on some papers I had on a table. There was a small amount, it was cold, so it had been there for awhile, but it was still wet, so it hadn't been there for hours. It had no smell. Earlier in the evening I saw Loki sitting there. I checked him over and he (and all his orifices) seemed fine. Because I saw Loki there, I don't think this substance came from Possum, but I did check him over, too. I checked both litterboxes, and there was nothing unusual in either.

The day after I found vomit on the floor, but I don't really know who it came from for sure, though Loki did not eat a cat treat the night before which is very unusual. Both cats have seemed fine the last few days. Both are eating and drinking fine.

A few mornings ago I woke up and was licking his genitals, and his penis was poking out and was purple. Is this normal? He stopped licking of his own volition, and has acted normally today, so I think he was just grooming himself.

I haven't found any more of the mucus-like substance since the first time.

I'm really sorry I have to ask these questions, but I really want to know what's normal and what's not.

Tricia
Short answer, NO. Long answer, if he wasn't neutered properly yes.
Does this happen often, Yes, some vets don't get it right 100%.

Was there anything on the table your cat could mount? Cats can't masterbate the was humans do, they normally need some type of stimuli IE a persons arm, a soft toy, a pillow or a blanket etc, which they mount and perform the action.

Cats penises are usually either pink or purple.

Since you didn't see the cat do anything, I would rule it out for now.

If however you are adamant one of your cats did ejaculate, then I would recommend you contact your vet and have him/her check both your cats to make sure they were neutered properly.

Good luck and keep us informed. If another member has a different theory, I am interested to hear it, coz its good to learn new things and keep an open mind.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A gross answer to your gross question....ejaculate is thin and watery...not thick like mucus. It could be from either cat...and it could be from their anus...maybe their anal glands,irratible bowel,or even parasites? The only mucus type thing I've seen from the "other" body openings....are from the female just before she gives birth.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it came from the anal glands it would have a very strong odor! Believe me

I don't think they can really ejaculate if neutered, but they could get stimulated enough to leave a wet spot. My first cat would leave wet spots at times. He also "bred" my RB female when she was in heat (once). But they don't have any sperm to ejaculate when neutered, so it would just be a wet spot from stimulation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, this has never happened before, and there was nothing for him to do anything with. I've had Loki for 6 months and Possum for 4 months, and this is the first time I've seen anything like it around. Also, neither of them have ever tried to rub against something for that purpose.

It's just that I have no idea what it was, so I'm looking at all possibilities, but fortunately it doesn't sound like ejaculate. (Ew! I got neutered kitties for many reasons, and not having to deal with that was one of them!
)

I'm going to schedule a vet appointment for Loki because I'm worried something's wrong with him. (Not that because I think he was neutered improperly, I think he's fine in that department.) Maybe the vet will have an idea.

My sense of smell isn't the strongest, but I feel confident that there was no smell.

Tricia

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it wasn't vomit? Sometimes when mine are working on a hairball, they will hack up just fluid, later the furry sausage will emerge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jelly, yeah I think it ultimately was vomit. Poor baby,, but he's fine, now!

Tricia