At my wits end!!!!!!

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I was headed into the bathroom and saw Toby sniffing around the shower like he was going to pee. I shooed him out, and what does he do?! Instead of walking to his litter box, not three feet away, he saunters out the bathroom, down the hallway, and into the KITCHEN and pees in a corner there.

It was three feet away!!!! THREE! Less even!

I'm seriously at my wits end. I've gone and gotten new cat litter(Nature's Miracle), bought a diffuser for Feliway, got rid of the cover on the litter box, etc etc etc. Trina is STILL going on the couch(she, I at least know, is UTI free) and Toby still won't use the litter box! Ugh! He has no problem just walking into my room(his favorite) and squatting right in front of me!

I've thumped him on the nose WHILE he does it and tried to shoo him into the bathroom to finish it, but once he starts, he just refuses to stop. I don't know what to do! It's not even my couch, it's my boyfriends! I feel so bad.. Sigh.

I don't know what to do about these cats. I just don't. They're not using the same places, Toby always goes somewhere different, and it's like Trina is trying to saturate the entire couch(not just one corner). I've been cleaning with enzyme cleaner from Petco and just don't know what to do anymore..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not yet. I'm setting up an appointment today, but I don't think that will fix the problem. There was nothing wrong with Trina when I brought her, and his behavior is the same as hers--we'll see, they're two different cats, but despite the fact there is nothing wrong with Trini, she's STILL doing it. I feel like I've tried everything.

There's a difference between thumping a cat lightly on the nose and smacking/hitting/hurting. It's not like I'm rubbing his face in it after the fact--it's discipline WHILE he's doing it, and that is the only time I have ever thumped him for anything. He should know better.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He probaly has a UTI or crystals, the vet will determine. This condition is more common, or irritatin in male cats, because their anatomy is different.

Cats do not respond to the discipline methods used on dogs. It just makes them angry and defiant. thumping, yelling, shooing will get you absolutely NO results, as I think you have discovered.

IF you thought his peeing in the tub was behavior related, the solution would have been to gently pick him up, saying soothing things like be good, lets go to the litter box, and then place him in the litter box and praise him. See the difference? And more praise when he uses it and everytime he uses it.

I have yet to see a cat pee inappropriatly due to behavior. It is usually health related.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fiery

There's a difference between thumping a cat lightly on the nose and smacking/hitting/hurting. It's not like I'm rubbing his face in it after the fact--it's discipline WHILE he's doing it, and that is the only time I have ever thumped him for anything. He should know better.
It's a known fact that you can't dicipline a cat by thumping, smacking or rubbing it's nose in it's urine.

A baby wouln't be smacked if it had an accident, so a cats no different.

Theres got to be an underlying problem which is why he's keep doing this, but hopefully the vet will find a solution.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You react as if I'm abusing him. I'm not. I wouldn't smack a baby either, just like I'm not smacking my cat.

I've tried the whole "picking-up-and-setting-in-litter-box-while-talking-soothingly-and-stroking" thing. He HATES that, not to mention I get urine all over me. As soon as I set him down, he jumps out and finishes his business.

I honestly don't think that's it's a health problem. His urine is clear, he doesn't strain or show any signs of distress, comes out just fine, it's not bloody, etc. I'll get him tested, but it's the same with my girl--there is NOTHING wrong with her and she's not using her litter box for that, either. Sigh.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one intends to attack you or accuse you of anything. The problem is, discipline really has no effect or only a negative effect. Disciplining a cat while they are peeing in the wrong place usually only results in them peeing in a new, hidden private place where no humans can do anything confusing while they are doing their business.

Are all of the cats fixed?

How many cats/kittens in the house?

How many litterboxes?

I have 2 healthy neutered males that spray on occasion, so yes behavioral problems are possible. I have 8 indoor cats in one house and one intact female (unspayable, long story) so I expect some issues sometimes.

I will say that puddles on the floor usually equal a medical problem.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would use sand in the littler boxes and this will be a lot of work but sounds like both of your cats need it. You will need to put the cats in the litter box with sand every time you wake up, they wake up, before you leave, when you come home, after they eat, and before you go to bed. If they are not they need to be spayed/neutered. When they start using the sand after a week slowly add in your litter. AFter a few weeks the box can be all litter.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of litter pans are you using? What kind of litter? How LARGE are the pans? and how many?

IMO I'd confine both cats to a large cage (separate cages) with litter pan or one room with the litter pan and keep them there till they learn to use it. Only allow out under strict supervision - rest of time they are confined.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From my own experience, when cats pee on smooth surfaces, it is health related.

sassygirl_2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My suggestion is to get the "Cat Attract" litter. I have never had to use it, but i have read many threads on here where people say that it works like a charm.

good luck