Getting On Dining Table...

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
(Sorry I haven't been on much ya'll, it's been pretty wild around here...
)

So Zoey has just recently began a terrible habit that we definitely do not want her to keep! We have this really really nice oak 4x8 dining room table, we're talking alot of money here. My parents have wanted this for a long time and a few months ago they finally got it. Well, Zoey will jump up on the chair and then onto the table. We tell her "NO" and then pick her up and put her down, but she persists!
Will my current method work, or should I try something different? Mom is definitely against finding kitty hair in her plate of chicken pot pie.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have the exact same problem as you and it's impossible for me to police it as Harry has free run of the dining room and kitchen when I'm out. I put a cheap waterproof tablecloth down to stop him from damaging the table and to prevent litter from getting all over it from his paws.

You sound like you're doing the right thing, saying firmly NO and lifting her down.
Maybe as a temporary measure you could try the tablecloth to prevent damage until she learns she's not supposed to go there!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I trained my crew to stay off of table and kichen counters by using a high frequency alarm. You set them on the surface you want them to stay off of and when they jump up they set off the alarm. The alarm is at a frequency humans can't hear but cats hate. You have to remember to turn them off if humans are going to be around to set them off. I would turn them on before going to bed and when I left the house. After several weeks I didn't need to use them anymore, they learned to stay off.

I can see if I can find a link to someplace that sells them if you are interested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]Catnip: exactly, Zoey has free run of the whole house 24/7. I've tried tin foil, but she loves the stuff.
And I know Mom wouldn't go for the table cloth. She's so proud of her beautiful table that she refuses to put a "tacky plastic sheet" over it.

mschauer: That would be great if we could find a link! I'll keep trying the "NO" thing, but if a place around here sells them, that would be teriffic![/font]

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

mschauer: That would be great if we could find a link! I'll keep trying the "NO" thing, but if a place around here sells them, that would be teriffic!
I doubt you can find them locally but I could be wrong.

This is one that works just like mine but is a different brand:

http://www.odordestroyer.com/Merchan...m&AFFIL=google

The is a different one that I haven't tried:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...53&N=2002+2017

There are other training tools on that site you might want to take a look at.

I've also used double sided tape. I don't like to attach it directly to my furniture (in case it pulls the finish off when removed) so I attach it to a piece of fabric and then use light adhesion tape to atach the fabric to the furniture. I got a roll of wide double stick tape at the hardware store that is meant to be used to stick down sheet vinly flooring.

Some people use an upside down carpet runner (with the spikes up). Those don't bother Toby though, he just stands on them.

I hope you find something that works!

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

[font= "Comic Sans MS"]Catnip: exactly, Zoey has free run of the whole house 24/7. I've tried tin foil, but she loves the stuff.
And I know Mom wouldn't go for the table cloth. She's so proud of her beautiful table that she refuses to put a "tacky plastic sheet" over it.

mschauer: That would be great if we could find a link! I'll keep trying the "NO" thing, but if a place around here sells them, that would be teriffic![/font]
Your mom might not go for this either but you could try double stick tape (unless Zoe likes that stuff too). You could "temporarily" place a plastic table cloth w/ double sided tape near the edges where she would land (the tape would be on top of the table cloth lol) while jumping when you're gone and at night. Then your mom won't have to see it
and you could use the "NO" trick when you guys are home? I dunno, just a thought. GOOD LUCK!