Typing gingerly

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just had a cortisone injection in my wrist for my carpal tunnel syndrome - man, it hurts!

I have the cortisone flare and it hurts more than the issue itself - does anyone know how long it takes before the pain goes away?

I can only do things for a short time before it starts to hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope, this is my first injection. The surgeon who did this said it will take a week for it to take effect. Grrrr.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

i get one in my spine, every couple of weeks.. yep they hurt.
How long does the pain from the cortisone flare stay for? I am a bit worried that I will not be able to work tomorrow because of this - if I move my hand, it sends shockwaves and a lot of pain that I cannot tolerate. (low tolerance here
) If it is straight, I am fine lol.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well i kinda have high pain tolerance. i did swear alot i think the first time.
it seems to burn to me for a few hours, that is why i normaly get them done friday morning after, my work week is done.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch! DH has to get one in his shulder next week. How is it now - did it ease up yet?

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have had 3 in my wrist for the same thing. the first one hurt the frist day, but after that helped for about 3 weeks. the other two never worked. But then again, neither did surgery,lol

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh, I think it will all depend on you, your pain tolerance, etc.

I had one injection in my elbow a few years ago and I didn't even flinch. I guess it was supposed to hurt because my doctor was holding the elbow tight and when I didn't show a reaction, he told me I was a "tough little thing".
If I remember correctly the swelling was only there for a few hours.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How are you feeling now?

I had some shots in the bottom on my feet for bone spurs, but he sprayed that freezing/numbing spray before the shots, so I never felt anything.

I hope things are ok now.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, I have two splints for it - one night and one day.
Wore the night one last night and the pain is still there, but not as much. It feels quite stiff this morning, like he put concrete in my joints.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes! I got myself a splint a few years ago because every now and then my wrist gets sore, probably mostly from using it the wrong way. I've only worn it for 2 short periods of time to sort of rest it and stop myself from bending wrong and what not. That seems to help. One of my co-workers who had both carpal tunnel and tendinitus in both arms (she was a baker before that job) suggested it. I hope you feel better soon!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You poor thing I am sorry about your issue. Im not sure if cortisone injections for carpal tunnel have a long flare effect or not... Hopefully not. I do get cortisone/stereoid injections on the tragus of my ear (I have a keloid that keeps flaring up) and things seem to settle at around 2-3 days... Of course my situation is minor compared to yours but Im hoping for a speedy and pain free recovery for you asap. Meanwhile, take a break from the keyboard for periods of time (at least 30 mins to an hour break) as to not induce any more pain.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Yep, I have two splints for it - one night and one day.
Wore the night one last night and the pain is still there, but not as much. It feels quite stiff this morning, like he put concrete in my joints.
Kelly, I had mild carpal tunnel a couple of years ago, I could barely type, and I wore splints 24/7 otherwise my wrist would start getting really tingly, sore and stiff. It really helped. It also really helped to take a lot of anti-inflammatory meds and put an ice pack on my wrist several times a day. Another thing I learned is that it's best to keep your wrist in a neutral position, because bending the wrist causes more inflammation. I'm not sure how severe your carpal tunnel is, but if it's fairly mild, then it's possible it will actually just fade away and you won't need to have surgery for it.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is starting to go away, only issue I have is wiping my butt.
Every time I do, I go ow ow ow!