Eating plants.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, tonight I caught both cats eating plants, I shoed them away and inspected the leaves. I have a peace lilly, a spider plant and a christmas catus. I really dont want them eating the Peace lilly as it is toxic. Isnt there some cat repellent I could use to deter them?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's best to keep them either in a closed off room, or else on high shelves or stands on which there is no room for a cat to land beside them.

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The plants should really be out of their reach if possible. A lot of common plants are toxic to cats, but I'm unsure of which ones. I had a bouquet of roses for Valentine's Day and Mitties was eyeing it with great enthusiasm.... i had to keep them really up high. She loves plants too, so i decided to buy a box of that cat grass that you just add water to and it grows in about a week. She absolutely loves that and satisfies her need to eat plants. Good luck!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found the only way to keep my kits from munching on my plants is to always keep a steady supply of cat grass in the house. You might want to give that a try.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is why there are NO live plants in our house. And Charlie decided that roses are fun to destroy; so it will be interesting when DH gives me flowers - he may have to change that to a box of candy when he surprises me (or I'll have to just bring them to work).

I'd keep the plants far from the cats.

sarathan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

Well, tonight I caught both cats eating plants, I shoed them away and inspected the leaves. I have a peace lilly, a spider plant and a christmas catus. I really dont want them eating the Peace lilly as it is toxic. Isnt there some cat repellent I could use to deter them?
I agree, it's really best to just put the plants up out of their reach. But there is a repellant spray you can try.. I can't remember what it's called exactly but it's made by Hartz. You just spray it on the plant (or whatever you're trying to keep your cats away from). It worked really well for one of my cats, but my other cat became "immune" to it after awhile. It's not very expensive, it's probably worth a try.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bitter Apple spray works like a charm, and I've found I only need to reapply it every six months or so (or whenever I bring a new plant into the house). You may find it in the dog aisle at the pet store, but it's meant for both dogs and cats.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just put black pepper on my spider plant to keep my cat away. It help to mist the leaves first so the pepper will stick.