Beautiful Fishy :)

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just felt like sharing a picture of our year old Betta, Fishy [2] (Fishy 1 died in August '06). This Betta started a chain reaction of getting fish tanks! (We now have him in his 10gal, and two 55 gals in our room).

I dont have any good pictures of our larger tanks yet.

tammie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love bettas too! I just got my second one a month or so ago. My first one is orangy-red (called Mr. Red) and the second one is a beautiful blue (called Mr. Blue ... I know, how original!) They are the coolest fish! Very entertaining. Do they flare their gills at you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tammie

I love bettas too! I just got my second one a month or so ago. My first one is orangy-red (called Mr. Red) and the second one is a beautiful blue (called Mr. Blue ... I know, how original!) They are the coolest fish! Very entertaining. Do they flare their gills at you?
I had a dwarf gourami named Mr. Blue. Unfortunately he's in the giant fishbowl in the sky now

Fishy flares his gills at us a lot, especially when my fiance goes over to his tank. He flares at his filter in the tank all the time too. Every now and again, he will "stalk" the betta pellets, and flare at them as he chases them down when they fall. I want to get another one, but we're still setting up our 2nd 55 gal tank and Rob is like "ahh! one at a time!"

tammie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

I had a dwarf gourami named Mr. Blue. Unfortunately he's in the giant fishbowl in the sky now

Fishy flares his gills at us a lot, especially when my fiance goes over to his tank. He flares at his filter in the tank all the time too. Every now and again, he will "stalk" the betta pellets, and flare at them as he chases them down when they fall. I want to get another one, but we're still setting up our 2nd 55 gal tank and Rob is like "ahh! one at a time!"
Mr. Blue also flares at my cat Mischief, who has taken to sleeping on the end table his tank is on. She'll be curled up sleeping with her back to him and he'll be right at the edge of tank, flared right out at her.

Mr. Blue

She completely ignores him but my other girl Frosty has to come and 'help' me feed the fish every day. She sticks her nose right in there and I'm just waiting for the day that Mr. Red lunges at her nose like he does my fingers!

Mr. Red

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the coloration on Mr. Red's fins! Mr. Blue is a beautiful shade of blue. Our first Fishy was teal/blue with a white head.

Here was Fishy #1:

Every time we are at Petsmart, I'm looking at the bettas (as well as all the cats for adoption!). I wish I could have a betta at work... my mom had hers there for over a year, and a lady where I work has 3 on her desk.

tammie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we bought Mr. Blue at the end of June, the pet store had new Bettas there that I've never seen before. Their fins weren't solid .... they were like streamers. And the colors were just stunning! Unfortunately, they were also much more pricey but I may be checking into getting one this fall when we go back.

Is there such a thing as too many Bettas???

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tammie

When we bought Mr. Blue at the end of June, the pet store had new Bettas there that I've never seen before. Their fins weren't solid .... they were like streamers. And the colors were just stunning! Unfortunately, they were also much more pricey but I may be checking into getting one this fall when we go back.

Is there such a thing as too many Bettas???
Those were probably the Crown Tail Bettas. It looks like their tail is shredded, but in a beautiful way when they flare! I'm not sure if theres a thing as too many bettas (or too many cats!). One lady we saw has 8 male and 6 female bettas in her house

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are fish in our first 55 gallon tank we got (tank and canister filter were free!)... In the picture you can see our pink kissing gourami, 2 australian rainbow fish, a couple male fancy guppies, a creamsicle lyretail molly, black skirted tetras, and part of the rainbow shark.

We have 2 of the creamsicle mollies, 3 black mollies (2 are babies), 2 rainbow fish, 1 rainbow shark, 5 black skirted tetras, 4 fancy guppies (2 are babies), and the gourami in that tank.

We have a 2nd 55 gallon tank we picked up for $50. Right now we are starting it off with two zebra danios (that will be going back to the other tank soon), 5 tiger barbs, and a pictus catfish. We're going to be putting a convict cichlid, jack dempsey cichlid, and firemouth cichlid in there as well. We wanted tinfoil barbs but they need to be kept in groups and are aggressive with one another. The pictus catfish was the only one who'd let me get a picture! The tiger barbs and danios didnt wanna know anything!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread and all your beautiful photos are making me want fish again! Mind you Nate did all the hard work keeping the tank and water just right, I just got the enjoyment of watching them. We had goldfish in a huge tank, unfortunately the filter and pump packed up one hot night and they died
He'd had them for years, the oldest one was at least 6 years old and about 7 or 8 inches long.

They are amazing things to watch, so relaxing and interesting. We still have 2 large tanks, but I think Nate will need a lot of convincing!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, our tanks are great stress relievers, to just sit there and watch
After work sometimes, we'll just pop some pillows on the floor in front of the tank and watch the fish. We'd LOVE to have a saltwater/reef tank, but we'd probably manage to kill everything attempting to upkeep it!

We had goldfish when I was younger, they lived for years. We also had some type of tetras that lived for 8 years.