kitten food

sassygirl_2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all, I have been feeding my 3 month old kitten Purina Kitten Chow. I saw a thread on here and it said that Purina kitten chow is not a very good food to be feeding. I just picked up some Iams Kitten food. Is that better that Purina Kitten Chow? I also feed her Fancy Feast.

I also need to know if I am feeding enough or if I need to feed more.

Right now I give her about a 1/2 cup of the kitten chow a day. And I also feed her a 1/4 of a small can of Fancy Feast once a day. She always has food in her dish because she usually doesnt eat all of the food that i give her. And she never meows at me that she is hungry. so i just assume that she is getting enough to eat.

She is very active and playful. She is not skinny by any means, i think that she looks very healthy.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On the Quality scale IMHO kitten chow is near the bottom..Iams is IMHO about the same maybe a step up .... for the same price there are better

I will happily give you a list if you tell me your budget

I would say the amounts seem okay but I dont know her wt??

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say if she's not losing weight, and doesn't seem hungry, then she's probably getting plenty to eat. For a good quality food at a decent price, I highly recommend Chicken Soup. Where I live you can find it at the local pet store and farm supply stores. It's around $20 for a 27? pound bag I think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassygirl_2007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont mind spending the money on her if i have to, but i would rather not spend over $20 on a 8lb bag. I live in Wisconsin if that is any help.

Also you never said what you think about Fancy Feast wet food that i give her. What do you guys think of that food?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FF is like Purina cept for some of the fish in aspic...

Nutro, Chicken soup both can be found reasonable at pet stores and feed stores

Nutro , natural balence , solid gold, Royal canin are at petco

Nutro , Blue spa , Royal canin, Authority, by organics at petsmart

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my kitten Royal Canin. I chose this one because they have 2 stages of kitten food - one for kittens under 4 mos and one for kittens older than 4 mos. It may just be a marketing scam, but they claim that the 2 different foods are engineered specifically to kitten's digestive systems and teeth at those ages.

I had also heard that some lady who has champion show cats feeds Royal Canin, and I thought, well, if someone who is completely in to their cats (and probably has quite the budget for food) feeds it, it must be pretty good.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ashley45

I feed my kitten Royal Canin. I chose this one because they have 2 stages of kitten food - one for kittens under 4 mos and one for kittens older than 4 mos. It may just be a marketing scam, but they claim that the 2 different foods are engineered specifically to kitten's digestive systems and teeth at those ages.

I had also heard that some lady who has champion show cats feeds Royal Canin, and I thought, well, if someone who is completely in to their cats (and probably has quite the budget for food) feeds it, it must be pretty good.
LOL.. not at you ... BUT I have run into "countless" champions supposedly raised on grocery food
.... Champion cats are what they eat but it is mostly selective breeding"_

I do like since doing a lot of research ... the RC Babycat as it is not as hard or nearly as big as many other premiums for a weanling

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brittany_Nicole

I feed Saedie Chicken Soup. She loves it and it is pretty affordable.
that's what i feed, too - dry & wet. i add formula for Firefox [the kitten] & also some of a homemade mix to the wet.