Am I the only one that isn't interested in Harry Potter?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have never read any of the books or seen any of the movies.

mrjonah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Nope. I have seen all of the movies (I think) because I have a 9 yr old son. They are fine but honestly, they don't do much for my son. I've bought him a poster and a HP computer game and he was like 'oh great' and I've tried to interest him in the books - no deal. I am not interested in reading the books either. So you're not alone!

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no interest. I have not read a book, but I did see i think it was the first two movies, and the third I stopped watching after about an hour, I got bored!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My porr DH can't stand HP. Good thing I have girlfriends to go and see it with!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't have any interest until after the 4th book came out, then I figured since I'm a vociferous reader, I may as well see what all the fuss was about.

IMO, Rowling's writing style has markedly improved over the course of time, with the writing in each successive novel in the series much improved over the ones before. (Unlike Ann Rice, whose style seems to have severely deteriorated over her last 10 books in the vampire series.)

I found - to my surprise - that the story was quite fun and enjoyable. I think the movies have been just OK, as I can never appreciate a film the way I can the written word.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

...(Unlike Ann Rice, whose style seems to have severely deteriorated over her last 10 books in the vampire series.)...
Boy howdy! I loved her first book, could barely read the 2nd and 3rd, and then gave up! Her stuff under A. N. Roquelaure was kind of interesting, though.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 years ago I was in Vienna (Austria) we went there with the train and I was really bored, I asked my parents if i could buy a book from the newsagency so I had something to read on the way back to Frankfurt.

At that time I saw the book, I bought the second book, As soon as I opened it I could not put it down! As soon as i was done reading it, i went and bought the other 3, then I bought number 5 as it came out and same with 6. I wont be buying the 7th till i have to fly out to Australia though.

SO thank you Austria that was fun YOU GOT ME INTO POTTER!!

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Your not the only one!

I don't care about HP, my boyfriend doesn't care, and our friend that lives with us doesn't care either! So... now we have us 3 and you... we can start a HP Hater group!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I found - to my surprise - that the story was quite fun and enjoyable. I think the movies have been just OK, as I can never appreciate a film the way I can the written word.
I agree - the books are 100 times better then the movies.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your not the only one... the first book came out when I was in 5th grade ...lol.. getting old .... I tried to read it but ummm it was not my type ...

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nope, me neither Karen!
I thought it was cool for little kids...

oh, and I was ticked off that they took over every screen at the movies.... I wanted to take Jazz to see Nancy Drew, and they moved her movie to 10:15 time....that's it the only show at 10:15, but Harry Potter was on 20 screens....
They weren't even giving Nancy Drew a shot, it's destined to fail now....

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
really Karen, you should read one of the books, the first one is fairly short and easy to read, the later ones get longer, but JK Rowling is a FANTASTIC writer, the HP books are not just kids books, they are very richly detailed and there are so many themes and undercurrents in the books that are not even touched in the films. IMO the films should be watched as a movie, not as a movie based on a book

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Your not the only one... the first book came out when I was in 5th grade ...lol.. getting old .... I tried to read it but ummm it was not my type ...
holy smokes!! was it that long ago?? no way!
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

nope, me neither Karen!
I thought it was cool for little kids...
same goes for you Heather, HP is not just a kid's book, in fact, the later books seem a little "heavy" for kids

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't read any of the books either!

I have seen some of the movies though...I think all but the new one. My family always invited me along.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Me neither, and I have no desire to either, nothing against anyone or anything, just has never appealed to me.