TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I hurt my eye yesterday.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I hurt my eye yesterday.

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
So yesterday morning i woke up and put my contacts in. When i had woke up- my left eye was just throbing it hurt so bad. But i didn't think too terribly much of it as i figured they were just dry so i put my contacts in and went about my day. I took my mom to the hospital yesterday for a procedure and while i was in the waiting room, my left eye went completly blurry (with contacts in). So I thought maybe it was just the contact. As soon as my mom was finished, i stopped by my house and took my contacts out and put my glasses on. By that time my eye was in a ton of pain and I couldn't see out of it. (I had no clue what had happened as i couldn't remember scratching it or anything) So after I dropped my mom off at her house, i made an emergency call to my eye doctor and he got me in.

Turns out- I have chronic dry eye (already knew that- but i hadn't used drops in months as they never seemed to help the condition more than the otc ones). My left eye was soo dry he said that when i went to sleep my eyelid stuck to my cornea. When I woke up and opened that eye- my eyelid had ripped off ephithilious (sp?) off of my cornea and left a little "crater" right in the middle of my cornea How weird is that! I didn't even know my eyes had epithilious (sp?) on them. Strange! Anyways, he said that's what was causing the pain and blurry vision. But since eyes heal very quickly, he said my left eye should be good as new in a few days I'm banned from wearing contacts for the rest of the week and he gave me some pain killing eye drops as well as cupons for two other otc drops. It's a lot better today though and it's not nearly as blurry

How weird is that thought! I'm glad i wasn't crazy- i knew something was wrong with my eye! (at first i thought maybe my contact was bad or i had a smudge on my glasses- but after i realized that wasn't the case i started to worry.) I just didn't know why it was acting weird as i didn't remember hurting it. Now i know. That is sooo weird though! Anyone else ever had that issue? My eye doctor told me to start sleeping with an eye mask on at night after putting in some eye gel so that the fan won't dry my eyes out. Who knew!
post #2 of 18
wow thats crazy I didnt know that could happen either. I was waiting for you to say You left a contact in or somthing. Well glad your ok and that it will heal that has got to hurt.
post #3 of 18
What kind of contacts do you wear? Hard, soft, disposable? I had the same thing happen to me two or three times when I wore hard lenses, and once when I switched to soft lenses (let's see - I've been wearing contacts for 32 years!). I've been using two-week disposables for about ten years now, and no longer have a problem with dry eyes.

I was told that I should leave my lenses out over the weekend, and use a lubricant intended for people with glass eyes, whenever I felt discomfort of that kind.
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by april31 View Post
wow thats crazy I didnt know that could happen either. I was waiting for you to say You left a contact in or somthing. Well glad your ok and that it will heal that has got to hurt.
Thankyou. No i couldn't figure out what had happened eithor- but i was REALLY starting to worry when i was driving down the road and my eye kept getting more and more blurry and I couldn't see. I was having the hardest time trying to figure out what was wrong cuz i couldn't remember scratching it or anything It was weird! I had no idea our corneas have a layer or "skin" (not really skin but that's sort of how my doctor described it). I didn't figure it was from my contacts as i never leave them in too long or sleep in them (my eyes get really dry) that and i didn't recall scratching my eye when i put them in/took them out. It was really weird! Thankfully it's already starting to heal though. He said it was a 1/4th of the way healed when i went in to see him because the human eye heals very quickly (that's great!).

It's still pretty scratchy/sore though but hopefully that will end soon as well.
post #5 of 18
Oh no! That sounds scary. Like jcat said, our optometrist told my husband to wear his glasses one day a week to give his eyes a break. Hope it heals up quickly!
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
What kind of contacts do you wear? Hard, soft, disposable? I had the same thing happen to me two or three times when I wore hard lenses, and once when I switched to soft lenses (let's see - I've been wearing contacts for 32 years!). I've been using two-week disposables for about ten years now, and no longer have a problem with dry eyes.

I was told that I should leave my lenses out over the weekend, and use a lubricant intended for people with glass eyes, whenever I felt discomfort of that kind.
I wear O2 Optix (just about the only contacts with silicone i can tolerate- all the other ones make my eyes go insane (i have a slight silicone allergy- but those do not bother my eyes). I recently switched to those a few months ago after years of using the Acuview One a Days. (the one a days were just not breathable enough and really irritated my eyes. I started using those a few years back when i was swimming competitively and had an eye infection- my eye doctor let me wear those during practice/meets and then made me toss them and wear glasses). I LOVE the O2 Optix They're soft disposables.

I use the Opti-Free Express (lasting comfort, no rub) for my cleaner. Before that i was using the one they recalled recently- the complete one.

He gave me Acular LS drops for the eye pain from the damage i did yesterday. (it's like advil for your eye!)/ That has helped a lot! And he told me to get "Optive" eye drops to use as much as i need during the day and to get "Refresh PM" to use at night.

I don't really care for the Optive drops to much. I like Genteal Severe Dry Eye gel better so i think i'll use that instead (he said it was ok) and use the refresh pm at night. It all seems to be helping a bit though. The pain is definitely better. It felt like someone punched me in my eye yesterday it was throbbing so badly.
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch View Post
Oh no! That sounds scary. Like jcat said, our optometrist told my husband to wear his glasses one day a week to give his eyes a break. Hope it heals up quickly!
I think that's a good idea as well. I normally only wear my contacts to work/run errands. (my glasses need a new prescription so until i can get them changed, i was using mostly contacts.) When i come home from work each day i put my glasses on and give my eyes a break. I like to wear my glasses on my days off as well. My eyes just dry out soo insanely quickly! That's one thing i do love about the new O2 Optix though- they're insanely breathable and keep your eyes from drying out too much.
post #8 of 18
That makes my eyes water just thinking about it... My eyes water so easily, I wish I could give you that problem, because what is a problem to me sounds like it would be just the trick for you. Hope your eye feels better soon. That is why I dont mess with contacts (astigmatism too, I know they make contacts for that as well)... The doc said Id be better with glasses. Ouchies hun... Take care!
post #9 of 18
I have eye issues and that just made me cringe. I once had a sliver of wood lodge in my eye so I know how painful eye injuries can be!
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie23 View Post
That makes my eyes water just thinking about it... My eyes water so easily, I wish I could give you that problem, because what is a problem to me sounds like it would be just the trick for you. Hope your eye feels better soon. That is why I dont mess with contacts (astigmatism too, I know they make contacts for that as well)... The doc said Id be better with glasses. Ouchies hun... Take care!
I'd happily trade your water eyes for my dry ones I have astigmatism as well in both eyes but between my glasses and contacts- it's not much of an issue (until my eyes get tired and then they just loose focus). My contacts weren't what caused the problem though-it was just my eyes being too dried out. I agree though-glasses can be sooo much less of a hassle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adymarie View Post
I have eye issues and that just made me cringe. I once had a sliver of wood lodge in my eye so I know how painful eye injuries can be!
You had a splinter in your eye? Oh my goodness i bet that hurt! How did you manage that one?
post #11 of 18
When I was a hairstylist I had a hair splinter in my eye... it was beyond painful. Had to have someone get it out with a tweezer (probably not the best idea)... Gotta love those clipper cuts. My bf also had to go to the hospital once because he got a metal shaving caught in his eye from work... The silly fool drove himself to the hospital too.
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie23 View Post
When I was a hairstylist I had a hair splinter in my eye... it was beyond painful. Had to have someone get it out with a tweezer (probably not the best idea)... Gotta love those clipper cuts. My bf also had to go to the hospital once because he got a metal shaving caught in his eye from work... The silly fool drove himself to the hospital too.
omg!!! both stories made me cringe! but man, your boyfriends sounds aweful!!! i hope both of your eyes healed up fast without any issues. I had to go a few months ago when i scratched my eye. That was no fun! It kept feeling like there was an eyelash in there or something. Drove me crazy!! This whole cornea thing though was much worse- it HURT like the devil.
post #13 of 18
You poor thing that had to hurt... I think my bf had to get a tetnus shot, use persribed eye drops, and take antibiotics for quite some time. The joys of working on machines! Im alawys getting eyelashes in my eye... I hate when they stick to your eyeball (when your trying to get it out) and you just cant get the sucker out of there... I thought eyelashes where suppose to protect our eyes... mine are always falling in my eyes... arrrr lol
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie23 View Post
You poor thing that had to hurt... I think my bf had to get a tetnus shot, use persribed eye drops, and take antibiotics for quite some time. The joys of working on machines! Im alawys getting eyelashes in my eye... I hate when they stick to your eyeball (when your trying to get it out) and you just cant get the sucker out of there... I thought eyelashes where suppose to protect our eyes... mine are always falling in my eyes... arrrr lol
No kidding! What's the most annoying is when you have mascarra on those eyelashes and then they fall in your eye! Yuck! your poor bf though that must have been aweful!
post #15 of 18
Well hopefully your eyes will feel better tomorrow!!
Years ago I developed a severe eye infection, I had to wear clip on sunglasses on top of regular sun glasses as the sun bothered my eyes terribly and had to see an opthomologist weekly for 6 weeks and I'm sure I had drops or something else to use. So I can feel your pain.
post #16 of 18
ouch!!!! sorry. how you feeling today

the whole reason i dont wear contacts are that both my eyes are to dry for them, they just roll up. after a few min./
post #17 of 18
Because of my glaucoma, I have dry-eye problems, too. I don't like the goopy gel drops, although sometimes they're absolutely necessary... and Refresh Tears non-gel drops always crystallize and glue my eyelashes together, which is no fun.

But last time I saw my opthalmologist, he gave me a sample of Systane drops -- not gel, just plain drops, but they work just as well as gel for me! And no crystallizing. If you haven't used them, you might give 'em a try...

Sure hope your eye heals fast!
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post


You had a splinter in your eye? Oh my goodness i bet that hurt! How did you manage that one?

I was on a school outing to a nature center and they were building a barn. It was so windy that the wind picked up some debris from the building and it blew into my eye and logged there. I was in such pain by the next day that I ended up going to the ER - the idiots there souldn't see anything except a scratch on the eye so they taped my eye shut - with the sliver still lodged in there. It was horrible - the eye doctor figured it out the next day.

How is your eye today?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I hurt my eye yesterday.