Black Dahlia (movie)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone see it? I taped it the other day and am trying to watch it and am falling asleep in my chair after 28 minutes of the movie and it's only 11:30am!!!

The narration makes it seem so cheesy and somehow the movie seems very "cliche".

Is it worth finishing watching? Does it get better?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think I've watched it, but who's in it? it sounds vaguely familiar but I'm drawing a blank

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to see that movie, but all the reviews said that it was horrible. I didn't believe anyone until a friend of mine saw it and she said it was horrible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I don't think I've watched it, but who's in it? it sounds vaguely familiar but I'm drawing a blank
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387877/

A number of recognizable names, but man, is the acting "bad".

You know that pose that Mae West did with her hand on her hip and bouncing her rump up and down and saying in a sultry voice "Why don't you come up and see me sometime?" Well that's the kind of acting that's in this movie!!!!

And many of the guys play their characters like a weezley gangster type. You know lightly bouncing from left foot to right, like a boxer warming up, but not to that extreme, and smoking a cigarette with their thumb and index finger?

It just seems really cheesy. And it's a shame because it's based on a true story of Elizabeth Short that remains unsolved today.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ah, i remember it now
that is a great cast, but I remember it wasn't in the theatre very long

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I was excited for the movie until I heard that it was only very, VERY loosely based on the real Black Dahlia murder.
Yeah, Elizabeth Short was 22 years old. I think they have her 15 years old in this movie...at least they say she's 15 when they are showing the picture around to everyone.

I'm rather disappointed. I taped "Miami Vice" too, so hopefully that will be better. I like Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx, and I really liked Miami Vice. Just so long as they didn't do it as a comedy parody like some other series based movies that I've seen.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hated the movie - the plot sucked, the acting was terrible, and it was too choppy. I stopped it after about 30 minutes.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

You know that pose that Mae West did with her hand on her hip and bouncing her rump up and down ...

OMG! That`s so funny! I keep bursting out laughing now

I haven`t seen the film.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, was unable to bear watching this movie. BUT - I would strongly recommend LA Confidential - one of my favorite movies, fabulous acting and very "film noir"!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

I, too, was unable to bear watching this movie. BUT - I would strongly recommend LA Confidential - one of my favorite movies, fabulous acting and very "film noir"!
That is one of my favorite movies of all time! Great film!

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Black Dahlia was soooo bad. I remember ordering it pay-per-view and falling asleep during it.

Miami Vice was really bad too.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We rented that movie and it was soooo bad. We even had a couple of drinks to see if that would make it better, and it didn't.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried watching it again and fast forwarded through parts. Frankly I can't see what this has to do with the Black Dahlia because they're doing everything else but trying to solve the murder.

Really weird movie. I can see why it wasn't in the theaters long and I'm glad I didn't rent it on VOD. I remember when the movie was about to hit the cinema thinking that it was a movie I wanted to see. Gee, was I wrong! LOL

I gave up on it and rewound it so it will be taped over.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
naw, could not bring myself to watch it,
the think the murders that was happing in ohi around the same time.
would have a been a better better.. in fact one person that was linked to the murders here in ohio had moved out there around the time of the Black Dahlia murder

hehe because of its age, and that its in clevaland most people dont know anytyhing about those killing.* at least i dont think so

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read something a couple of years ago by a Los Angeles cop who was just a kid at the time of the Elizabeth Short murder. He claimed to have solved the murder -- he said it was done by a very wealthy, very twisted man who "owned" the LA police force, and they protected him.

Oh! I just checked online -- here's an article about the book:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

Sheesh... I can't believe my memory is so bad. I'd forgotten that he says the killer was his father.