Please HELP, my Bengal is up Meowing ALL night

cheetara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there I am new to this site and need major help. I purchased my 1.5 year old Bengal a few weeks ago, I am her second owner since she has left the Cattery, she is a WONDERFUL cat I our whole family loves her to death, but the big problem is she is up all night long meowing and meowing LOUD. She is great during the day and kind of does her own thing, she will come and sit on you and want you to continually pet her which is fine with us, but as soon as the lights go out for bed time she starts her hollering, it keeps us up all night and we just don't know what to do or how to get her out of it.

A few points are, she ALWAYS has fresh food and water, her litter box is always clean and she is free to roam wherever she likes and our bedroom door is open. She is free to come and sleep in our bed but she normally jumps up and lays down for a few mintues then gets off and starts her meowing all over again. This is really starting to get to us as we NEED our sleep but we don't know WHAT to do.

Any advise would be great!

Thank you!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if this is your only cat, i am willing to bet your cat is bored. She wants to play but you are sleeping. try some extra hard play sessions before you go to bed, but if not - my suggestion is to get another cat. I had to do this for stoli and he stopped meowing almost immediately.

leslie301

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another quick note...... I'm sure that your cat is already spayed, but it's one of those things that we just gotta' ask.
If she hasn't been fixed, then she needs to be.

That being said- I agree with Renovia. Give her some exhausting play sessions about an hour before bed. Make her run, jump, play, etc. She'll get the playtime she craves and then be too tired for anything else. I also try to wake my Bengals up if I see them napping later in the evening. If it's within a couple hours of bed time, I try not to let them get TOO comfortable and I'll run them around for a minute. Give it a try and let us know how it goes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheetara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, Yes Cheetara is a ONLY cat, I have a budgie and that's it other then two baby girls LOL. Anyways no she is not fixed she had a litter of kittens (From the previous owner, this was her first and only litter) in December. When I got her they said that she just finished a heat so I don't expect that she will go back into heat for a few more months. She is not a big player but I will try to find a way to get her to use up some energy before bed.

Thanks!

cheetara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I forgot to add that after my girls go to bed at night Cheetara climbs up on the couch on our legs and lays down on her back straight out and sleeps on us, she is more then welcome to come up to bed with us but she doesn't.
I don't know if it makes any difference or not but she is a F2
I'd post a pic for ya but I can't seem to figure it out.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cheetara

Anyways no she is not fixed she had a litter of kittens (From the previous owner, this was her first and only litter) in December. When I got her they said that she just finished a heat so I don't expect that she will go back into heat for a few more months. She is not a big player but I will try to find a way to get her to use up some energy before bed.

Thanks!
Hi!
Welcome to TCS!

I have two male bengal kittens and they can be such a handful. Which I love but we have to have very vigorous play at night or the boys will be up all night!

BUT! I seriously think your problem is her not being spayed. She is calling at night. A female cat can have a heat cycle back to back. I would say she needs to be spayed to fix the problem.

Good luck and I hope to see you around TCS!

cheetara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK I am probably going to sound like such an uneducated idiot here, but anyone who owns a cattery may beable to help me. The previous owner had a contract with the cattery that this cat is to be breed once-twice a year and the cattery has rights to which they get 25% of what the previous owner got from the kittens, The previous just moved and didn't have the contract on hand but is suppose to fax it down to me. Anyways my question would then be am I legally able to spay this cat? or do I have to get permission from the cattery since they by rights I guess they are entitled to X amount of money every year off this cat. I have never had a registered cattery cat before so I am kinda lost in the legality aspects, or do these rules simply not even apply to me because I am not the one who purchased her from the cattery and I am not the one who signed the contract? Once again sorry for all the dumb questions but I just don't want to get in trouble for anything.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm wondering if the previous owner had a right to sell her to you. Most breeders tell you that if you can't keep the cat, that you should return the cat to them.

I can imagine that you don't want to give her back to the breeders, and I can understand that you probably don't want a cat going into heat all of the time, either.

If I would you, I'd contact the breeder and tell them the situation, and also tell them how much you and your family love her, and find out if she will give you permission to spay her.

rugthugs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a bengal cattery. You purchased this cat from a party ("X")who had a contract with another party, "Y". "X" would be liable to "Y" for damages under the contract, not you. The fact that she told you about her contract isn't really binding-you haven't even seen the thing and you are not a party to it. Unless YOU signed a contract binding you not to spay the cat, she's your property legally to do with what you want.
Your female cat is entirely capable of staying in heat constantly until she is bred. Except perhaps for the siamese, nothing can be quite as loud and obnoxious as a bengal girl looking for love. Spay your kitty if you want to.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the contract was between the breeder and the person you bought her from, unless the people you bought her from made YOU sign a contract, theya re the ones who will get in trouble if the cattery contacts them about it. I would just spay her. Plus a contract to breed a cat once or twice a year without any say in who the cat is being bred with??? That doesn't sound like a very good breeder to me at all...

oh and cats can come into heat way more often then every few months! Plus they are enduced ovulators so the second she gets into contact with a male she can get pregnant whether in heat or not.

cheetara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No I never signed any contract so that is what made me think I am not responsible for anything kwim? I guess there is only a few different studs that have been authorized to bred with her and it has to be one of these approved studs. I aquired her for a PET but would be fine in breeding her if I had to but that was not nor is my intentions for her. I wanted a good family pet for my kids and both my daughters have asthma and eczema and the bengals don't seem to bother either one of them at all, where as my sisters domestic cats put them both in a fit of sneezing and coughing. I did do a lot of self education regarding the Bengals but sadly I don't know anything about Catteries to be honest, and the more info I tend to read on Bengal's the more confused I amd getting because every single person has a different view on how to care for and raise them.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definately try to play with her more. My bengal will keep me up at night if I don't play with her for around 2 hours every day.

However I think the immediate problem is her not being spayed. Cats can go into heat every few weeks if they're not spayed and an unspayed female cat gets very frustrated loud and hard to live with.

I would say it's unfair to make anyone keep an unspayed cat if they're not completely aware of all the implications and disruptions they'll have to endure. If you've not signed a paper saying you won't spay the cat I'd go and have her spayed. It should make everyone's life easier.

You might want to phone up the original breeder though just to get an idea of exactly what's going on.

cheetara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You guys are great for advice, and I totally appriciate it, Now the only reason why I have yet to contact the original cattery is because I didn't want to get anyone in trouble, it is so not in my nature to stir up trouble. We absolutely LOVE this little girl and we don't want to give her up BUT it is going to make it awfully hard to live with this night calling. Also I am beginning to think the old owner didn't spend a whole lot of time with her, I am wondering if he just looked at her like a checking account, she has such a sweet nature but you have to GO TO HER and bring her downstairs with you and put her on your lap then she will stay there for hours wanting to be pet, but if WE don't put out the effort she will stay away and just do her own thing all day long which actually makes me very sad, she is almost like a neglected little kid, you have to show her you love her then all is ok, but you have to repeat these steps EVERY day. BUT the big but is figuring out a way to pick her up to bring her downstairs with us because she gets freaked out when you try to pick her up, so it takes a bit of time to coax her to come out and spend time with the family.

leslie301

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, that was my fear. The poor dear needs to be spayed. Being a breeder is a big responsibility (and isn't very profitable if you're doing it *right*) so you probably don't want any part of that. Like others said, it wasn't your contract, so you are free to do what you need to do. No matter how much exercise you give her, if she's looking for love ("in all the wrong places...") then nothing will satisfy. She'll be happier, you'll be happier, and everything will be grand.

leslie301

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cheetara

You guys are great for advice, and I totally appriciate it, Now the only reason why I have yet to contact the original cattery is because I didn't want to get anyone in trouble, it is so not in my nature to stir up trouble. We absolutely LOVE this little girl and we don't want to give her up BUT it is going to make it awfully hard to live with this night calling. Also I am beginning to think the old owner didn't spend a whole lot of time with her, I am wondering if he just looked at her like a checking account, she has such a sweet nature but you have to GO TO HER and bring her downstairs with you and put her on your lap then she will stay there for hours wanting to be pet, but if WE don't put out the effort she will stay away and just do her own thing all day long which actually makes me very sad, she is almost like a neglected little kid, you have to show her you love her then all is ok, but you have to repeat these steps EVERY day. BUT the big but is figuring out a way to pick her up to bring her downstairs with us because she gets freaked out when you try to pick her up, so it takes a bit of time to coax her to come out and spend time with the family.
PS... I hadn't read your response when I sent my last message.... just in case my comments might get confused while out of context.

You will probably need to "rehab" her a little bit to get her accustomed to the attention. I'm sure that she has a sweet heart- she just needed the right family to take care of her! Call her and give her lots of treats and pets when she comes. She will learn that hanging out with the family means good things!!

cheetara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Leslie you can tell she has a natural sweet nature to her she just needs to be able to express it openly. She spends most of her days upstairs hanging out by her litter box, food and water, I am starting to wonder if she had been locked up because she doesn't really leave that area, then at night when all is calm she will WITH LOTS of coaxing come out then she is fine once she is out, kwim??? then she will sleep on you and cuddle up and purr, it's just a matter of getting her to stay out all day and be a part of the family then maybe at night she will sleep. I understand the fact that proper breeding takes a lot of time, money and love and I don't lack in any of those departments that's why I wasn't worried at all about having to breed her, but I am not willing to sit here and bred her back to back to back. I was thinking it would be an excellent learning experience for my daughters as well to be a part of raising and nurturing kittens however I don't want to make Chee miserable all the time going in and out of heat and while I did more research on Breeding Bangals, I wouldn't have dreamt of breding her until I had all information and complete knowledge of the breeding this specific breed of Cat, I am a Nurse by trade so I do have the smarts there but I want to make the best decision possible for Chee.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you didn't sign any contract from the people who bought her from, you are fine. If they had obligations with the cattery, they should have made sure those obligations were filled and contact them to take the cat back there or something. The breeders sound irresponsible and so do the people you bought her from. I think you are fine and in the clear. You didn't sign anything. Spay her

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CONTACT the Cattery.... One an F2 is like 25% wild blood ( correct me if I am wrong)... and thus she needs to be fixed to calm her down...

cheetara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey again everyone, Sharky I'm believe you are right the F2 is the closest to the wild as you can legally get "I believe" she doesn't need calming down as in she is hyper or aggressive she is neither on the contrary I honestly am beginning to think she was locked away and neglected as she is almost afraid to come to you BUT if you go get her she is your best friend. I have tried and tried to play with her but its to NA, I don't think she has ever been played with before in her life and it breaks my heart because she is so sweet hearted and her spirit is beautiful.

Anyways on to the terrible news I took yall's advice and contacted the cattery and to my surprise they were very VERY rude, She said I have no authorization or authority to own this cat that she sold it to person "X" and person "X" has no right to sell her, she said I HAVE to surrender the cat back to her as it came from her cattery and I didn't purchase it from her person "x" did,she also said that she wants to keep her bloodline going and blah blah blah. She also said the previous owner has consequences he has to pay now and I am siting here having to give back my daughters cat and lose out on all the money I have put into her (which isn't the bigger deal of the two) I am at a loss. I didnt know when one person sold a cat they still had rights over it forever and ever. Anyways thanks for your help.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would NOT go by what your vet says. just contact the cattery. i'm sure they will be much nicer.