HELP! Blacklight spots EVERYWHERE!!!!

bellanekochan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so I know this sounds really nasty but there are spots ALL OVER MY CARPET. how do I know which spots are cat urine and which ones are just run of the mill spots? There was a dog that lived here before us and I have this really big suspicion that it peed everywhere. But this will not help me now because I am moving out of my rental apartment and I want my deposit back. How do I know which spots to target(meaning which spots are my cat's pee?) and has anyone heard of using pure nature's miracle in a steam cleaner to make sure the carpet is extra clean and not smelly? I think I read it on the container.
thanks
Kat

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have an upright rug shampooer, i know you can buy "pet formula" cleaner for those. maybe you could try that? then go over with a blacklight and nature's miracle. we do periodic cleanings (probably a couple times a year) with the big shampooer, and use our dirt devil spot scrubber for puke spots in between cleanings.

the place we live at requires a professional steam clean after we move out. it must work really well because this was the cleanest apartment we have ever moved into.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Is your landlord actually going to use a blacklight to check the apartment? That seems a bit much. Are these spots visible to the naked eye?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my experience, cat urine that hasn't been found and thus not cleaned up before, has a more intense neon glow to it. When you find one of those spots and spray it right there with an enzyme cleaner (or vinegar) it should fade instantly and then with a little blotting it should go away.

Old vomit stains that don't even show in the light have a faint glow under the black light. Not sure about saliva but the glow is probably similar to vomit.

That carpet powder (arm/hammer pet smell type) is very effective, at least in the short term. It's very hard on bagless vacuums, though...I wouldn't use it with one of those.

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am afraid to shine one of those blacklights! If I don't see it then I don't know it.

^tanya^

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad I did not have one of those when we lived in an apartment. Or at the house for that matter. We only have carpet in one room now, so it may be not as bad.

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure the kitchen floor and rugs would show up lots of hidden dog drools. He thinks he should be under my feet in there.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Never shine one in your bathroom or kitchen.
Oh I know!
I was horrified the first time I turned it on in the kitchen. I thought it was clean, but it looked like something from CSI with the blacklight on

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellanekochan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the help everyone! Yah, I had thought I cleaned he apartment, but seeing the spots.... very scary. There are no neon spots so can i assume not cat pee? all of them barely glow..... it sort of looks like... i dunno... someone splashed something all over the carpet and I really dont wanna know what that is

gomer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought about getting a blacklight, but then decided that I'm germ phobic enough. I think my entire house would glow like a las vegas strip club when I turned it on.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bellanekochan

Thanks for the help everyone! Yah, I had thought I cleaned he apartment, but seeing the spots.... very scary. There are no neon spots so can i assume not cat pee? all of them barely glow..... it sort of looks like... i dunno... someone splashed something all over the carpet and I really dont wanna know what that is
It could be from vomit or saliva as mentioned, or it could be a urine spot that was cleaned up... One of my foster dogs had an accident in my bedroom a few years ago, and I cleaned it up with a pet spot cleaner, but it still glowed faintly under blacklight last year. I tried multiple cleaners since then and it still glows a little.