jpeg conversion to vector

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

do you know of any techniques in either photoshop (not what i use all the time) and fireworks (readily available) to convert jpegs into vector graphic line drawings? I'm getting into screen printing and i really only like vector stuff - period. this is the kind of art i draw free hand, but would like a program that can give me a boost. Preferably free for trial OR a way to do this with some success in fireworks/photoshop

like this is the stuff i'd like to do - johnny cash, taken from photo made into vector

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may want to invest in a vector based drawing program such as CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator. Either of the programs can also convert raster images (i.e. jpg, bmp, etc.) into vector format. Personally, I find CorelDraw much easier to understand and use than Illustrator, but it's really a matter of individual preference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow - this site is working SO slow for me today...
i'll look into Corel Draw, I wonder if my school will be able to get me a good price, it's expensive. but is will really do what i want it to do?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm not finding a mac version?

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

Hi all,

do you know of any techniques in either photoshop (not what i use all the time) and fireworks (readily available) to convert jpegs into vector graphic line drawings? I'm getting into screen printing and i really only like vector stuff - period. this is the kind of art i draw free hand, but would like a program that can give me a boost. Preferably free for trial OR a way to do this with some success in fireworks/photoshop
I use XaraXtreme under Linux for a similar effect, but I'm not sure that it's exactly what you mean. The Linux version is available as free and open source, but the Windows and Mac versions may be for commercial release. I do however think that they have trial periods. If you want to look it over, it's at XaraXtreme.org

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok - my photoshop on windows has a filter that does what i need it to do....the question is now:

are there any site for FREE fireworks MX for Mac filters????????

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you very much, I can be patient.

i also found out i have freehand 10 on my computer - so i can at least draw my own.