Post-neuter: VERY sleepy kitten, normal?

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Moses (5 mos) was neutered last Thursday, and since has been quite sleepy. I expected this for the first few days, but now I am starting to get a little concerned. Is it normal for a kitten to sleep ALL day 5 days after a neuter? The first few days I gave him full doses of med from the vet, yesterday I gave him a half-dose, and today I haven't given him anything yet. Could this just be from the meds? He's usually a VERY active, spunky little guy - will he get his old personality back?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've been giving pain meds all this time? That's pretty unusual. In my experience, many males don't get or need pain meds at all, and when they do it's only for a day or two. Yes, mostly likely it's the pain med that's making him sleepy.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I would ring the vet to have a word.
In my experience no, that's not normal. But it could be the meds, best to ring the vet and just ask what they think.

jasmine-79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, pain meds act as sedatives. Even my Sunny was pretty lethargic for a week or two after he was neutered and declawed. He returned to his normal mischevious self though!!

Make sure he's drinking plenty, pain meds can cause constipation.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others, contact your vet about it.

It might be different where you are from, but in my experience, I have NEVER been given meds for any of my cats post spay/neuter.

Please keep us updated about your little one.

jasmine-79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You know, I've read several threads mentioning vets giving pain meds to take at home post-op. Neither of my cats had this....maybe it's a school of thought some MD's subscribe to and some don't.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar had a long-acting sedative/pain-killer injection before he came home, but that was because he also had a large hernia repair surgery right through all the abdominal muscles and a large incision with 5 or 6 stitches, and the vet wanted him to spend that first night sleeping ok. He didn't have any pain medication after that though, the vet told us that he would be a little sore for a couple of days, but that if he had painkillers numbing him then he might try to do too much and rip the stitches out trying to leap around.

Sonic didn't have any pain medication at all after his (perfectly normal) neuter, he jumped out of the carrier when we got home and you wouldn't have known he'd had anything done to him at all, apart from his scrotum was shaved and looking a bit tender, but behaviourally he was perfectly fine.

I would give your vet a call and discuss this.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jasmine-79

You know, I've read several threads mentioning vets giving pain meds to take at home post-op. Neither of my cats had this....maybe it's a school of thought some MD's subscribe to and some don't.
I've never been given pain killers to males, but I know it's getting more and more common to send some pain killers with spayed females since it's a larger surgery and probably involves more pain afterwards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was also declawed - maybe this is why they sent me home with meds?

jasmine-79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ashley45

I did the exact same thing with Sunny as a kitten, 5 months to declaw seems kinda young. I remember having to wait longer to do both at the same time because of his age. I do know that I was guilt ridden for a couple weeks until he began to return to normal. He'll get there, I'd back off of the pain meds though!

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ashley45

Yeah, that's probably why you got pain killers. I'd imagine the declawing causes more pain than the neutering so maybe that's why he's sleeping a lot.

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is his 3rd day off pain meds, still very sleepy, but other than that just fine.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's still sleepy after three days,I'd be giving the vet a call. It should be out of his system by now. Sometime cats can have a bad reaction to the anesthesia...not to freak you out or anything....but it can affect them neurologically.

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'll call tomorrow and ask. He's also small for his age, if that makes any difference.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes you need to call the vet if its his 3rd day off the meds and hes still sleeping ........ please let us know how it goes.

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify, I don't mean to say that he is sleeping all day, he's just more "sleepy" than before the operation.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Understood.
He could be more sleepy because of pain,neurological damage from the anesthesia,or something else entirely. Better safe than sorry. Being "sleepier" can be something simple,but it can also be a serious symptom. Only your vet can tell you for sure.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May I suggest you try and find another vet in your area?
I only say this because in another thread you stated that your vet suggested/recommended the declaw.
I'd be very hard pressed to put my trust in a vet that recommends it like it's an order of fries to go with your burger (neuter).

I do hope you get your baby back to his old self soon.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple questions:

1) Did you have any blood work done before the operation? If so, any abnormalities?

2) Is he simply sleepy or do you see the "third eyelid"?