Fleas - Advantage?

skoonix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - our eight year old cat is indoor/outdoor and it is now summer and hot and she's got fleas and seems miserable. Ive seen a few on me in the house so Im confused. We always give her Advantage and it always works. But I just gave my cat a treatment on July 11th and she doesnt seem clear of them - I can tell she has them and looks at me like "do something!". Im sure it wouldnt be good to give her another dose so close together. Do baths help at all? My cat detests them witha passion. Any thoughts? Sucess/failure with Advantage??

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder sometimes if cats can become immune to things over a period of time.
In the past, I would use Frontline, because it always worked and then stopped working for some reason, so I switched to Advantage, which worked for awhile. I now use Revolution, but that's because I want the heartworm prevention included. I lost one strictly indoor cat to HWs and I don't plan to go through that again. If she's got fleas, you can get Capstar from the vet which will kill any fleas on her within like a 20min period and I know that it isn't harmful to use with the Advantage (well...per my vet). I would do that and then if you notice that the Advantage still isn't working, then I would consider trying Frontline or Revolution at the next treatment. Good luck!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes you need to switch off on flea medications from the vet. Never buy from pet stores!! Just try Revolution or Frontline Plus for a change, she is just becoming immune.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skoonix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNKittyMom

I wonder sometimes if cats can become immune to things over a period of time.
In the past, I would use Frontline, because it always worked and then stopped working for some reason, so I switched to Advantage, which worked for awhile. I now use Revolution, but that's because I want the heartworm prevention included. I lost one strictly indoor cat to HWs and I don't plan to go through that again. If she's got fleas, you can get Capstar from the vet which will kill any fleas on her within like a 20min period and I know that it isn't harmful to use with the Advantage (well...per my vet). I would do that and then if you notice that the Advantage still isn't working, then I would consider trying Frontline or Revolution at the next treatment. Good luck!
I will get Capstar - just got off phone w/ Vet but I hear you have to give it to them orally - YIKES - only once did I have to give pills to my cat and it was a nightmare - she hates it plus she's mad at me because I was away for a week on business (we have a loving person care for her when we're gone but she misses us like crazy when we are gone - which isnt very often - maybe once a year) - Im just worried if I have to grab her and shove something in her mouth - she's really gonna pissed but then again I hear it WILL kill the fleas an then give us a fighting chance. I was also told since I gave her Advantage on July 11th - its ok to give her one dose of this Capstar now and then on Aug. 11th for her next monthly treatment - switch to Frontline or Revolution appropriate for her weight. Sound right? Thanks to all of you who responded.

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not the cat that becomes resistant to the medications, it's the fleas. There are no resistance issues with advantage that I know of, where did you get the Advantage? If you treated your cat on July 11th and she still has fleas ON HER, there's something wrong.

You can very well see fleas in the house and on you even though your cat has been treated since 2/3 of the fleas in an infestation live off the cat. The spot on will just keep the cat deadly to the fleas that do jump on.

If the cat still has live fleas on her body, I would question either the source or the dosage of the Advantage. I doubt very much that you'd see such a catastrophic failure like that with an appropriately dosed, reputable source of Advantage. I ask about the source because there are counterfeits out there on the internet.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skoonix

I will get Capstar - just got off phone w/ Vet but I hear you have to give it to them orally - YIKES - only once did I have to give pills to my cat and it was a nightmare - she hates it plus she's mad at me because I was away for a week on business (we have a loving person care for her when we're gone but she misses us like crazy when we are gone - which isnt very often - maybe once a year) - Im just worried if I have to grab her and shove something in her mouth - she's really gonna pissed but then again I hear it WILL kill the fleas an then give us a fighting chance. I was also told since I gave her Advantage on July 11th - its ok to give her one dose of this Capstar now and then on Aug. 11th for her next monthly treatment - switch to Frontline or Revolution appropriate for her weight. Sound right? Thanks to all of you who responded.
Yes that sounds right! You usually give Capstar followed by a topical flea medication right away, but if you just gave the topical, wait a bit, then give Capstar again with the topical next month.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skoonix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, she got away from me pretty well when i tried to apply the Advantage on July 11th. I disoense the whole thing but as I had parted the hair on the middle back of her neck - she scooted away and I now think from it NOT working - maybe it stayed too much on the fur and really ddint get to the skin and she then could have rub alot off on the grass and posts outside. That's probably it. But yeah - she still has fleas and Advantage has never NOT worked on her - so I am going to give her the Capstar rolled up in some food. Thanks everyone.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Yeah, you really gotta make sure you get it all on there... maybe next application of whatever meds you choose, someone else (probably preferably a man that can safely yet with force hold her still... a towel wrap may be required) to hold her while you apply... I use frontline plus on Oliver (plus heartguard for the heartworm - he's indoor only, but a) I take him out on the leash and b) we've got a dog that brings in God knows what) and I lay him down in between my knees while I'm kneeling on the floor to apply it... he KNOWS when it's coming and tries to scoot away, but I grab him and really use my thighs as well as an arm in front of him to keep him in place... then he's like shot out of a cannon when I'm done... and yeah, make sure you get your meds from a credible source too - I order them from entirely pets online cuz they're cheaper than my vet

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have fleas in the house, i.e., carpets and furniture, you need to get rid of those as well because they'll just keep hatching and jumping on the cat, (or you) for a meal. If the cat is protected, then the adult flea will die but there are usually lots of eggs in the house that will hatch over time.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree -- it sounds like either there are fleas infesting the house, or the dosage isn't enough for the size of your cat. If your cat is 9 lbs and over, are you using that version of the Advantage?

I use Advantage and the only problem I've had is that sometimes a flea gets on at the end of the month, as the dosage runs low; but the next dose kills it.