Update on Caboose....my brave little blind boy

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone....

When I first came on this forum to talk to people about all my aging 16 kitties that I had saved from Hurricane Andrew, I mentioned that one had just gone blind....in a matter of month.

I had so many wonderful responses and advice. Since then, I have had one kitty that went to kitty heaven and many more that are just getting old and have all the illnesses of cats 10 + years.....yet....I have a 14 year old that is in perfect health and still a "terror."

Anyway.....I have learned from this beautiful little boy that when life gets hard (even for a cat) you CAN make it.

I took everyone's advice, of course, and didn't move anything around in the house. For the first month.....he was so afraid and stayed in one spot.

NOW....he is unbelievable.....he knows how to get to the sofa to sit with me...how to get on the bed and sleep with me....and to his favorite spot (before he went blind)....on top of the washmachine. He as figured his own way of doing it....and...to him...there are NO barriers.

He does get confused, however, when he goes from one "favorite spot" to another.

Today....I could not believe this little guy. I was sitting on the couch working on my laptop and he came into the living room.....he had not been there for a few days. The usual place he gets up is on the coffee table first...but there was another furry feline sitting there.

He went to the corner of the sofa....stood up on his hind legs like a little rabbit and put both paws out in the air....searching for the corner of the couch....he kept moving his paws in the air.....and I let him. I don't want to help him if he wants to do it on his own. He realized he was close.....moved over closer and just jumped up on the sofa.....without using the coffetable.

I have been going through quite a bit in my life in the last few months....but this....and I can tell you...this....made me cry and say.....if a little kitty can be so brave and overcome obstacles....then....I need to learn from him.

I have a picture of him before he went blind...not a good picture. He is what I call a "dalmation kitty"....I have two more like him.

Hope I can post this picture.

So....to all of you that helped me out when he first went blind....Caboose and I thank you.

Toomany

Sorry....this will not allow me to attach for some reason.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aaaaw! What a little trooper he is! And I'm sure your love has encouraged him to try even harder! What a wonderful kitty he must be!

jessiecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw his picture on your other thread. He is just beautiful! It never ceases to amaze me how well cats can adapt to disabilities. We can all certainly learn a lesson from sweet Caboose.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's really heart-warming to hear how Caboose is adjusting to his disability, which soon won't be one any more. Good for him!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is absolutely wonderful!
My Damita who is blind will do similar things. It is amazing how they adapt. And it is amazing what a blind cat can get into & the mess they can make!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

That is absolutely wonderful!
My Damita who is blind will do similar things. It is amazing how they adapt. And it is amazing what a blind cat can get into & the mess they can make!
Sorry....I thought I had read all of your threads and posts....did not realize Damita was blind.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by toomany

Sorry....I thought I had read all of your threads and posts....did not realize Damita was blind.
Yes, among other things, Damita is blind. Which is why no one would adopt her, blind cats are hard to care for, after all.