OMG , I am so upset

catmomof2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My son who is 3 was laying on the floor.My oldest had bought him peanut M&Ms which he was eating well one got stuck in his throat and he started choking.I was playing with my 5 year old when I took notice that he was choking.I ran over and grabbed him and started beating on his back with him leaned over.Nothing was happining.He starts to dig at his mouth with his hands trying to get it out himself and he starts gasping for air.I continue to beat on his back.I scoop him up and run for the phone. NO PHONE
,I yell to my oldest daughter who has it and I mean yell as loud as I could all while trying to get a peanut M&M unstuck from my sons throat.My oldest cant hear me because she has the radio on so my 5 year old runs up to get her just as she runs down stairs he throws up and the peanut comes up, a pretty big one I might add.I freaked out at her for having the phone in her room which is a NO NO in our house and for not being able to hear me all while an emergency is going on.My son was crying like mad I was crying and now had my daughter crying.I apologized but I have to say I am still upset over the whole situation.I called the Dr and she told me his throat would be sore for a few days to feed soft foods.I now have chest pains do to anxiety which I have and deal with and take meds for.I couldn't remember how to do the HEIMLICH MANEUVER . He is so little and I wasn't sure if you do it the same as you would on an adult to a child.I have been calling around all our local hospitals to find one that offers a class on it so god forbid next time I know.I'm a mess, more calm then what I was a half hour ago but my god how freaking scary that was.No more peanuts in this house.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, that's every parent's nightmare! I'm so glad he is O.K.!

You tell them to eat only while sitting up, but the minute you aren't looking, they do the opposite. We've had the same problem with the telephone when it's not put back.

Time to take some deep breaths, hug your kids, and take a break!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YIKES!!!!

I hope you are calming down now. I would wait a bit to talk with your daughter about the phone.
I hope everyone feels better later this afternoon.
Could you perhaps contact your local Red Cross to see if they offer classes and have more than one person in your household take the classes.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For babies and small children you have to bend them forward over your forearm and give a good pound on their back using the heel of your hand - using the manuever for adults can crush a child's chest.

I'm so sorry that you had such a scare, but I'm REALLY glad it turned out ok!!!

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG, I can see why you are upset. I am glad he is okay.

The same thing happened with my son when he was two and got a hold of one of those chocolate round Christmas balls.

He started choking and I grabbed him by the ankles and held him upside down while I patted on his back and out came the chocolate. I don't even know what drove me to hold him upside down. I think it was something my mother told me from years ago.

I threw out every single chocolate ball.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmomof2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Oh no, that's every parent's nightmare! I'm so glad he is O.K.!

You tell them to eat only while sitting up, but the minute you aren't looking, they do the opposite. We've had the same problem with the telephone when it's not put back.

Time to take some deep breaths, hug your kids, and take a break!
I know right,you teach them to eat only while sitting up and look what happens
I have been hugging like mad but I think I need one
I am so shook up and it has now been over an hour.I cant get the "scene" out of my head.I am so glad that he is ok

catmomof2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

YIKES!!!!

I hope you are calming down now. I would wait a bit to talk with your daughter about the phone.
I hope everyone feels better later this afternoon.
Could you perhaps contact your local Red Cross to see if they offer classes and have more than one person in your household take the classes.
I didnt even think to contact the local red cross.Thanks I am going to do that.

AsecretK- My husband told me he was taught to do the same thing.I'll keep that in the back of my mind,thanks

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That must have been incredibly frightening - no wonder you're still shaking. I'm so glad your son is okay.

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart. I feel for you. I really do. I had a scare like that with my daughter a few months ago, but she's only 10 & 1/2 months now. With her, though, she had gotten sick and was choking on the flegm (sp??). My neighbor was over here and she took her, got a syringe, and had to suction it out. I was petrified, so I can only imagine how you were feeling.
Just glad he's ok.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that he's fine now. How horrible

Definitely ask for a long bear hug

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh geez how scary. I am glad he is okay now.

If you can't get in touch with the Red Cross you can try your local Fire Department or Police Department. Just call the info lines for non emergency. They should be able to stear you in the right direction.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the link to the Heimlich website which gives exact instructions.

I guess I was wrong about hitting them on the back, but that is what I was taught in CPR class a million years ago. Sorry about that.

catmomof2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Here is the link to the Heimlich website which gives exact instructions.

I guess I was wrong about hitting them on the back, but that is what I was taught in CPR class a million years ago. Sorry about that.
Dont be sorry, I was taught the same thing when I took a CPR class over 10 years ago.

Thanks everyone for your concern.He seems to be doing well other then a sore throat.My nerves have calmed down as well

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad it turned okay for you.

The American Heart Association updated their recommendations and made it much easier now.

Our local Fire Department and the City Parks & Rec dept offer the class for a very reasonable fee. Also, some of the churches are offering classes for their membership.

You can also order a kit (video and mannequin) to learn at home. It's better than nothing, but I really like to observe the students doing it - and make corrections.

Two women who knew CPR saved my stepfather's life. He was saved and had no brain damage. I owe them so much.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I am glad to hear he is all right now..He and you must have been so scared at the same time.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
That was definitely a scary thing. If you have an extra phone jack, you may want to consider getting a corded phone to put there. Then the phone is always available. The biggest issue I have with cordless phones is that we lose them.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, how horrifying!!

I am so so glad he is alright..how terrifying for you!

One time my friends 2 year old was choking on a lip balm cap...it was the scariest moment of my life. Her sister hammered on his back and it flew out...but dang we were scared straight.

I am so glad your little one is okay