Look at these kittens, how old are they?

marine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, Sorry this is a cross post, but I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea how old these little babies are. I rescued them from our parking garage yesterday when it was about 110 degrees. They have been eating canned paste food mixed with KMR, but no pee or poo yet, so I was wondering if they still need to be stimulated or if perhaps they were so dehyrated that they don't have any excess yet... anyone? Pics:

Any advice??

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i am not an expert by any means but if you wanted my opinion i'd say maybe four weeks? that is around the size my baby was when i found her and that's what the vet guessed. she also did not go to the bathroom for me right away...the second day she peed on me so at least she was hydrated...i tried stimulating her but she just got irritated and the vet said to wait two days for poop before getting worried. two days of wet food off my finger (not properly weened yet) and she pooped. i hope this helps...

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would guess 4 weeks too. I think I would just keep an eye on them today and see. They look big enough/old enough to go on their own. Could they be peeing on a towel or something? Their little puddles can be very small and the smell isn't very strong at that age. Wetness may be the only clue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tink, yes, they seem to be annoyed when I try to stimulate them. I had to help out some 3 week old kittens once and they didn't seem to mind it and resonded.
Beandip, well, I was silly enough to put a bowl of water in the tub last night and of course they tipped it over and wet got everywhere. They don't seem to know what to do with water yet (except to step in it) so that is why I am giving them KMR. I'll start with a dry towel and see if I find any wet spots.
They don't really want a bottle either. One took a bottle for about 30 seconds, but the rest wouldn't suck. They would lick their noses if I put a drop on their nose, but no suckling.
Ha ha, just FYI, one still hisses like me (he's so big and bad) he's obviously the A male because he will hiss not matter who I pick up (protecting the siblings), but fall right asleep in my hand. Too cute!!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is cute when they hiss. They think they are so vicious!

I have had a little success with a large heavy coffee mug for water. It's harder to tip. But like you said, they may still have no clue what to do with it (except play).

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

That is cute when they hiss. They think they are so vicious!

I have had a little success with a large heavy coffee mug for water. It's harder to tip. But like you said, they may still have no clue what to do with it (except play).

What's going to happen to them now? Are you going to find them homes on your own, keep them or give them to the shelter?

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea about their age but I had to say how cute they are! Bless you for looking after them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of them just poo'd. So that is good. Well, he didn't hit the litter box. One thing at a time, I guess!
Stacy, I volunteer for a no kill shelter. I called them yesterday and they just filled up their vacancies with kittens and cats from the kill list at the county. So they said if I could foster them for about a week, they should be able to take them. We are, without a doubt, a one-cat home. Pooh has been annoyed at me for bringing them home. He smells at them under the bathroom door!