Stupid question but....

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What exactly is considered yard work?

My landlord emailed me out of the blue last week saying that she is going to have a lady stop by and do some yard work. She didn't say when or anything (most likely during the day when we're not there).
Anyhoo, she asked if there were any places that needed some attention. I mentioned that there were a bunch of tiger lillies that were overgrown since I didn't have a chance to split the bulbs last fall.

She replied back and said "no..yard work...".
OK I could see that as gardening instead. The only thing I'm thinking off is picking up sticks and stuff like that...but I've been doing some of the yard work...actually there isn't much to do since the weather has been so dry.

All I can think is for her to cancel the appointment save her money for the dead tree in the front yard

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought gardening was "yard work". Isn't the garden usually in the yard?

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree gardening is yard work. Maybe they are talking mowing and edging and tha tsort of thing....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did mention to our landlord last week that we have had a drought for the last 3-4 weeks so no one has had to mow for the past month.

To me it just seems weird that she would suddenly have someone do yard work [that doesn't involve gardening] out of nowhere. We have lived in this house for over a year and this is the first time she's done something like that.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I hate yard work...if I were you I would just be glad she didn't ask you to do it
Me, too. For me, "yard work" involves a rake and a shovel (I have GOT to stop feeding my dogs so well
).

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's odd. I consider everything in the yard to be yard work. I would have asked her what she meant when she said that. I enjoy doing the gardening type things. Now I don't like mowing or weed-eating. That's why those are left up to my DH.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I consider mowing the lawn/ditches yard work, raking leaves in the fall, picking up sticks and dubree (garbage), maintaining your lawn (some use fertilizer and lawn services to upkeep on preventing weeds and such), trimming bushes, and that about somes it up... At least at my moms (I dont count because I live in an apartment)... Everything else sums up to garden duties or patio duties.... in my situation...

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mowing the lawn, pruning trees and hedges, weeding, mulching, raking leaves, picking up sticks, cleaning and painting lawn furniture, etc etc.
Isn't that all considered yard work.

If it's in the yard
and it is work

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whether I'm mowing, weed wacking, fertilizing, planting something or picking up beer bottles that were thrown on my lawn from the road, it's in the yard, so it's all considered yard work

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...thanks. I may just email her and ask what exactly this lady will be doing. I don't know if the lady has been out yet or not...if she was she did a terrible job

Thanks though, I didn't even consider fertilizing and that stuff. We DEFINITELY need that cause everything dies in the backyard.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I do this stuff for a living.......
Actuallly to me yard work would also involve the turf and since I don't do that in my line of business what would be left is weeding, deadheading perennials/annuals. Also pruning shrubs, tree would not be pruned this time of year nor would their be any raking to do.
So who knows what the landlord thinks yardwork consists of!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNKittyMom

That's odd. I consider everything in the yard to be yard work. I enjoy doing the gardening type things. Now I don't like mowing or weed-eating.
Me too. I love yard work though!

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I hate yard work...if I were you I would just be glad she didn't ask you to do it
Oh god me too. I hate anything to do with mowing, weeding, mulching ect.

I want nothing at all to do with it.

I would think "yard work" is mowing grass and weed whacking.

I guess I think of weeding and mulching work on the flower beds.

Either way I hate any of it.