Calling All Bite Victims!!

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had Mitzi for about a month now, and she's really settled in well. There's just one little problem...biting! Maybe it could be to do with her breed? (tortie for those of you who dont know) Or maybe because she's just had enough?

This morning she jumped on my bed and started to lick my hands, arms and face. Then she lay by me purring. I was stroking her but she suddenly just turned on me!

Has anyone got any tips to help stop this? Or any ideas why it keeps happening?

Thank yooo!!

p.s: can someone pleeeeassee go on the siggy page and read my request that I posted like 3 weeks ago!?! Nobodys made me one yet, and its been ages!
Thanks!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauracatlover

We've had Mitzi for about a month now, and she's really settled in well. There's just one little problem...biting! Maybe it could be to do with her breed? (tortie for those of you who dont know) Or maybe because she's just had enough?

This morning she jumped on my bed and started to lick my hands, arms and face. Then she lay by me purring. I was stroking her but she suddenly just turned on me!

Has anyone got any tips to help stop this? Or any ideas why it keeps happening?

Thank yooo!!

p.s: can someone pleeeeassee go on the siggy page and read my request that I posted like 3 weeks ago!?! Nobodys made me one yet, and its been ages!
Thanks!
Is Mitzi still a kitten??? Sounds like kitten behavior....(or a cat that has not been trained to not bite)
My suggestion is to pet UNTIL she starts to bite....then say a firm "NO"!, stop the petting immeadiatly and walk away from her. (If you`ve ever watched kittens play with each other, you may have noticed that when one gets too rough with another one, they will run away and not want to play for awhile with the offender......and what is worse than NOT having someone to play with, if you are a kitty????)
I hope this helps!
Linda

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is she biting? Is it a rapid snap, or is it a slower, gentle bite? If it's a slower, gentle bite, I consider those "love bites" and don't think of them as being part of aggression. Reeses does it to me (and for some reason only me) fairly often. She'll be laying on her side and I'll be petting her stomach or side gently and she'll wrap her paws around my wrist and gently bite me. It's not even really a "bite" it's just like she's holding on to my hand with her teeth. It never leaves marks. Sometimes it'll catch me off guard and if I start to pull away, she'll move her mouth away from my hand but keep her paws wrapped around my wrist. Then if I stop, she'll look at me for a second and then grab on to my hand with her teeth. Sometimes she'll lick my hand afterwards too. It's always slow and gentle, never quick and aggressive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ReesesPBC;1888172 said:
How is she biting? Is it a rapid snap, or is it a slower, gentle bite? If it's a slower, gentle bite, I consider those "love bites" and don't think of them as being part of aggression. QUOTE]

It kind of varies. Most of the time its gentle, but sometimes she does bite reeally hard, and she did it to my moms friend the other day, causing her hand to bleed!!

thanks peeps for the advice!

Laur