my cat keeps taking off his cone!

taiwancat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just got neutered and is very angry about the cone on his head. He keeps taking it off and im worried that he will make his stich worse. How do I keep it on his head...I can watch him when Im home but not when I work (and in Taiwan we have to work from 8am to 7pm...sometimes 9pm!). Please help...

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Male cats don't usually get given cones - not over here at least. None of mine ever have. How does he behave when he gets the cone off - does he lick the area a lot? He may be ok without it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taiwancat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has to leave it on for 7 days! I think thats a bit long?!
when its off he tries to lick it...not all the time though. Right now he's exhausted from trying to get it off so he's sleeping.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boys aren't usually given cones in the US either. Mine have always had their incisions glued shut and they never bother them. They do lick just a tiny bit, but seeing as how that's a very sensitive area even on a good day, I have a feeling that they lick carefully for good reason!!! I don't think he'll pull at it because that would hurt A LOT.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had a cat that had to have a collar after being neutered, especially males.

It's natural for them to lick a bit - it would only be if they licked too much that would be a problem.

I also think 7-8 days is way too much for him to have to wear that collar.

If he were mine, I'd take the collar off and unless he was really over-licking, I wouldn't put it back on. I think the choice is yours really.