two new adoptee's and strange behavour

little lamb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have had my two cats now for 2 weeks. I adopted them from a center for strays. Georgie is 2 and has been neutered. Lilly is 9 months and has been spayed.

When we first had them lilly was like she had lived here for always. Georgie was very nervous and eventually settled down some what. He would follow me like a shadow and needed lots of love and attention.

Lilly goes out and to start with Georgie wouldnt. Even though he was a stray and was 'captured' and neutered, he prefered to stay inside and just look out through the door.

Well since yesterday, Georgie has been following Lilly constantly and it seems like he's wooing her. He gives that purry meow and no matter where she goes he is very close behind. He went out yesterday and was chasing her. but not in an agressive way. I think Lilly has had enough and keeps hiding behing things so he cant be near her. He's not agressive at all, its her that gives him a smack when she has had enough. What should I do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's really nothing to do - it's just boy/girl cat behavior. My Ferris follows the girls around with a "BrrrRRRrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrr" sound all day long. If they want to play with him they will, otherwise he gets a bop for his efforts, but he keeps trying anyway.

Just let them be, and enjoy watching them. Unless there is screaming and serious fighting with blood drawn, you have nothing to worry about, they are completely normal.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's good to know. I wasn't sure whether neutered cats were supposed to behave toward females in a certain way.

My cat seems to loooove the lady cats (all spayed) in our apartment complex. Over the course of a half hour, he will slowly squinch closer and closer to them, looking away, until he's sitting an inch from their faces. Understandably, they do not like this. Eventually they hiss at him and swat or run away, upon which he starts to chase them. Sometimes a fight follows.

I was starting to think he didn't know how to behave around other cats and was off in terms of his socialization. What is he trying to accomplish there? Why does he want to sit so close? He really doesn't seem to be aggressive... I've seen him in chase and fight mode (with some males), and it's different. When he's doing this, he sometimes swishes his tail furiously... he seems nervous and excited.

Actually, he's friendly toward most cats (even males) that are bold enough to just sit there when he approaches. It's only when they run or fight that he gets aggressive.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ferris behaves that exact same way that you just described. I think it's cute, he scoots on his belly toward Penny, getting closer, and closer and closer - then if she looks at him, he looks in the other direction, like, "La-la-la...what? I'm not looking at you, I'm just sitting here!"

Maybe it's just that he's got a crush on the girl cat.

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he just wants to make friends. Bunakins does the same thing to Puppy. She comes up close and wants to play. He ignores her. After about 5-6 times, he finally plays with her. He might just be a nervous cat, but he sees Lilly as his buddy and feels safer going out when she's with him.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I think it's cute, he scoots on his belly toward Penny, getting closer, and closer and closer - then if she looks at him, he looks in the other direction, like, "La-la-la...what? I'm not looking at you, I'm just sitting here!"

Maybe it's just that he's got a crush on the girl cat.
It is a lot like teenage boy behavior. Looking away is very polite and nonthreatening.

I think she's gotten to like him reasonably well... otherwise she wouldn't let him get so close before getting fed up. Sometimes she curls up and goes to sleep when he's near, and he just sniffs her and keeps on walking. But other times it's an all-out chase, and he treed her on top of a fence once. I felt bad about it, but at least they're both huge cats and she's pretty bold and dominant herself.

I'd really like to see what would happen if she ever let him reach his ultimate goal. Maybe he would start grooming her? He's done that with a kitten.

ethiope

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Pumpkin (male) does that with Aspen (female). The first three days I had her he followed her doing that brrrppp sound and she would hiss at him when he'd get about 2 feet away. She doesn't hiss anymore and he doesn't follow as close, but he still follows her. Neutering and spaying takes away a cat's reproductive ability and lots of the obvious gender displays, but it's not all of what makes a male a male or a female a female. In the womb, males are exposed to testosterone and females to estrogen, and this shapes how their brains develop, so there still will be some gender difference based on behavior even after being neutered/spayed.