I murdered my hair...

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No seriously.

I was sick of the dyed color, so I wanted to go back to natural. And before you start-- yes I know I should have gone to a pro, and if you wanna loan me the money I will

The only way to get the old color out was by bleaching it.

I now have obscenely blonde roots and a nice dayglo orange head of hair. It is not the prettiest look ever...

So here is the damage... see how my hair is the same color as a WOOD CLOSET DOOR?!

And the white-blonde roots with the ginger-cat contrast.

Oh and my hair is fried.

Feel free to laugh about it-- I am. I think I'm going to deal with it for now... I don't want to murder it any more than I already have.

So, what sort of Harry Potter related costume can I be with my dayglo hair?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
at least you have hair.

you can always go with my style, and just shave it it will go back in a week.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should put some Kool-Aid in to spice it up a little.
How long will it take to be a different shade that isn't day-glo?

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have been were u are, I remember when I bleached my hair from over a year of black and burgandy hair dyes, i had multi colored hair so to speak
Luckily I had short short hair and it grew out quickly! But thats really the only time that bleach has multi colored my hair
But I hate having to bleach my hair, and I am like u I did mine all the time at home, and this is actually because I did once go and get my hair stripped at a place a good place...and well im under the dryer thing, next thing I know is I am smoking literally
So well lets say I am afraid to get my hair done in a shop, and let me tell u it killled my hair badly!

But I must say that I got a hot oil treatment for home, it was v05 I think, and well my hair hasnt been this soft for a while
I also straighten my hair regularly so I am always trying to keep my hair as healthy as I can, and well I color it, so someone told me about the hot oil treatments and I really love this one, funny thing is is I paid $4 for it and got 2 things...but I have tried other hot oil treatments paying more and they sucked lol!

But trust me I feel ur pain

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... I always feel people look best with a haircolor that's not too far off from their natural color, so certainly I see why you're disappointed with the results.

But y'know... I really don't think you look bad at all! You're such a pretty girl, it would take more than a slightly wacky haircolor to mess you up!

I'm sure Trixie23 can help you figure out a course of action (which will undoubtedly involve a real hairdresser), but in the meantime... don't feel so bad. You're still just as cute as a little blonde button.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

You should put some Kool-Aid in to spice it up a little.
How long will it take to be a different shade that isn't day-glo?
Lol-- I think I would get fired.

The day-glo is permanent. If you're blissfully unaware of what can go wrong in hair dye, that is what happens when you bleach dark hair, especially dyed that way. It turns the color of a Cheez-it. My hair was burgundy on top and black on the bottom, that had grown out and faded quite a bit, the black looked pretty much like brown.

Once my hair doesn't feel like it's on the verge of breaking so Bruce and I can be hair-twins, I will figure out what the heck I'm gonna do. I have an dark ash blonde color but I fear it will deposit strangely on the orange and the white parts will end up a freaky green color.

SwampWitch I will look into Nymphadora Tonks, I don't think I'm even familiar with the character! (I am not that into Harry Potter, but I am working the midnight release party)

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well hmm its really does look fine to me, but heck what do i know.
how abuot getting a can purple hair color , and just spary it on?
that would look cool?

ok i will shut up now.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Well... I always feel people look best with a haircolor that's not too far off from their natural color, so certainly I see why you're disappointed with the results.

But y'know... I really don't think you look bad at all! You're such a pretty girl, it would take more than a slightly wacky haircolor to mess you up!

I'm sure Trixie23 can help you figure out a course of action (which will undoubtedly involve a real hairdresser), but in the meantime... don't feel so bad. You're still just as cute as a little blonde button.
Yea, I think I'm gonna leave my hair color pretty much alone after this fiasco. I don't have the patience for keeping up with it, and my natural color is just a dirty dishwater blonde. Weird though when I first started dyeing it people thought I was dyeing it back to its original color.

And you make me blush!
I went over to my friend's and she opened the door and busted out laughing.

My parents might be coming tommorow, I can't imagine how my mom will react. The only fight we ever had when I was a teenager was over whether or not I could dye my hair
Shoulda listened to my mommie.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

well hmm its really does look fine to me, but heck what do i know.
how abuot getting a can purple hair color , and just spary it on?
that would look cool?

ok i will shut up now.
I love that, that would look cool? ! Yea I don't know either.

The coloring of that picture is bad... I have a better one Zissou jumped in, you can see the true effect of the color in better light.

Photobucket isn't working right now, but I'll put it up soon.

Here it is:

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to say, it's hard to tell the day-glo with the lighting...

I know that there are some shampoo/conditioners out there to treat bleached hair. They may be a little $$$ but it could help the "fried" look.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honey I've done the same thing you have. Just make sure you go out and get a nice deep conditioner.

You may have to spend some money on it, but it may help repair some of the damage.

Also, if you come back up to the Cleveland area you can go to the Brown Institution. It's the school for Aveda hair stylists that work in Spas all over the country. It isn't your typical "student" hair cut.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought some Nexxus Keraphix and that seems to be helping. My hair right now doesn't feel too much worse than after any other dye.

There is an aveda salon right near me, I just don't think I can pay for it

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may look different than what you were expecting, but it does look good on you. I love the long hair too ....... what a beautiful girl you are and awwwwww look at Zissou

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess maybe I'm freaking out a little more-- what it looked like between the first and second time bleaching it was a complete disaster, with my regular roots and then a crazy stripey mess where some of the purply dye didn't come out at all-- so it was from the top: natural color, bright white, orange, orangy/red, reddish purple, purply/black. With uneven patches all over.

So I think some of the freakout from that is applying now-- maybe it's not as bad as I think it is.

It's totally the wrong color for my skin tone though

catmomof2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now that is ONE thing I have never done which is bleach.I have had my hair all colors though but blond.I found black to be the worst.The hardest to get rid of but I have been orange before, sucked

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've done that before. My hair had the brassy effect so I went to a salon and got it out with their neutralizer and then had a deep conditioning treatment. Basically they set a really nice conditioner in your hair as you wait for like 10 minutes under the heat thing. My hair felt better than ever plus, it got the color out. I was trying to go only a couple of shades darker though, so it wasn't something too drastic. In the end, I went and got a better brand of at home coloring with some brass protection thing and highlights. It turned out great!!! (Plus, in time for my wedding, lol)

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What color where you when you started and what did you use to lighten your hair? Bleach with a 40 volume I assume? I am a Licensed Barber/Cosmetologist by the way. You already cut out most of the hardwork for your stylist... Granted you will have to go darker with that (I would recommed a semi-permanent color to refresh you hair, ends, and to fill in the broken bonds). A stylist may not even need to fill your hair before going darker (to avoid greenish cast) since you are already in a warm hue you may be able to darken your hair 2-3 levels no problem, which actually is not very expensive to do so. I would do it for you, but we live far away!

Also Deep conditioning treatments (I cant recommend store bought because I only use professional, but if you need suggestions, feel free to ask)...

It's really not that bad, and I wont make fun....

BTW dont use ash... I never recommend ash. Use a neutral color, that is all you will need. Ash is dull, drab, and un-natural looking (eventhough some of us pull ash naturally)...

With all the underlying pigment you had in your hair, you really wouldnt have gotten a result other than where you are at now... Also when applying bleach it should be applied to the cold strand first and then the scalp area (to avoid "hot roots"... lighter at the scalp then elsewhere)... Ahh the science of beauty. You are still very cute

Alot of people think black is the hardest color to remove, when actually red hues are. Red is the hardest to keep and the hardest to get rid of... Due to its molecular size...

One more thing... Bleaching is not color, its purpose is to obtain unpigmented hair... You cannot remove the effects of bleach with any color remover or neutralizer.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I love that, that would look cool? ! Yea I don't know either.

The coloring of that picture is bad... I have a better one Zissou jumped in, you can see the true effect of the color in better light.

Photobucket isn't working right now, but I'll put it up soon.

Here it is:
i like the look on zissou face there.
the long hair is a very good look i think