My cat does this weird thing, is it normal?

lethal_lorax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat enjoys sleeping with me, unfortunately, he acts very strangely before he nods off. He likes to climb onto my stomach if I'm laying down, then knead my stomach and purr (which isn't the weird part!) ... If I move, even a little bit, he'll bite either my hand or chin, very hard, and he won't let go. My hands are covered in bite marks! I'm not sure if it's normal for a cat to bite like that, knead, and purr all at the same time. I know cats will sometimes bite when they're tired of being petted, or when they want attention, but neither is the case here. This only happens if I'm not petting him, and I try to move at all while he's doing his... strange ritual knead-thing, or what have you.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
things like this usually occur more often when the cat has left its mother too soon
I think it is adorable. If you discourage it, he will most likely move on to some other odd little quirk, so if you can deal with this one, let him do it otherwise he could pick up some unwanted, more painful habit
I have a 5 year old that does this too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lethal_lorax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad my cat isn't the only one doing it. And this habit of his -is- painful to me!
- atleast the biting part is, the kneading doesn't hurt because I keep his claws trimmed. (My cat will be three this October 22nd)

jasmine-79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sunny does almost the same thing! He'll bite my hand and grab me with his paws and not let go. Then sometimes he'll try to grab my arm with his hind legs too....very wierd!

piyi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by lethal_lorax

My cat enjoys sleeping with me, unfortunately, he acts very strangely before he nods off. He likes to climb onto my stomach if I'm laying down, then knead my stomach and purr (which isn't the weird part!) ... If I move, even a little bit, he'll bite either my hand or chin, very hard, and he won't let go. My hands are covered in bite marks! I'm not sure if it's normal for a cat to bite like that, knead, and purr all at the same time. I know cats will sometimes bite when they're tired of being petted, or when they want attention, but neither is the case here. This only happens if I'm not petting him, and I try to move at all while he's doing his... strange ritual knead-thing, or what have you.
Granite does the first part that you're talking about (the not wierd part). It's so cute. When I'm laying on my couch reading, he'll jump up onto my chest and go right up to where I'd normally have my book balanced and just sit there. Sometimes he'll knead his paws. But most of the time, he'll just sit and look at me, wanting to be petted. He's such a sweet cat. He just loves people.

mygirlmidnight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Midnight will sleep in the bed with me, along with my year old Labrador...must be quite a sight! Anyway, she doesn't like bite or knead or anything. When I'm playing with her sometimes she will bite at and swipe at my hand in a play...but has never broken the skin and doesn't expose her claws. The she will lick my hand, kind of like Tal (my Lab) does! I don't discourage it because I figure it's one way she shows affection.