A Couple other New Kitten Questions (AND PICS)

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So Sherman (3mos) has been here three days now. He's very lovey and a total purr-monster when I see him. He follows me around everywhere and loves being in the same room with me (either all over me trying to play or *sometimes* napping). However, if I leave the room and lock him in (He is still being kept separate from Luna which involves another question I have below) he cries and cries. Sometimes he even cries if I'm washing the dishes (he's too small to jump onto the counter..for now!). I'm happy to give him attention when I'm around (in fact he's so cute I can't resist him!) but at night I'm closing him in the bathroom with his little set up so that Luna can have the rest of the house. Also, my boyfriend and I are gone M-F 8:00-5:00. My question is: is this a problem? Should I stop giving him so much attention? Will he become used to crying or finally get used to being alone?

My second question is: He and Luna have only seen each other through a barrier (screen door and cat carrier window) but he seems to be doing most of the hissing. He also batted at *her* through the carrier window. Also, he hissed at her when he was in the bathroom and she came near the door. I've been doing the scent-exchanging thing with a blanket and feliway, treats etc. Should I be doing something else? Any thoughts?

Third: Will he learn to clean his behind better w/o a mom to teach him? (I've noticed he's kinda smelly back there, though not from excess waste...) And once he become friends (hopefully) or sees my cat do stuff, will he learn from her?

Thanks for listening (er reading). Here are pictures of him:

hermione2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, so cute!

I've had a *bit* of experience with crying, but I don't know if what I'm gonna say is of any use, lol. My 5-week old named Ron used to cry a lot, and it annoyed me after a while. I just played with him normally (which, sadly, isn't a lot during the afternoon b/c it's so hot here!), and he eventually stopped the crying of his own accord. I guess he finally got used to whatever was bugging him.

I don't know what to say about the second problem...

As for the third problem, I'm guessing he'll probably learn from Luna once they become friends. After all, human children learn from older people, so why shouldn't cats?

I hope I helped in some way, and good luck with Sherman!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! And the pictures don't nearly do him justice HEHE!

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1 In my experience they adjust with the crying...I got my first kitten and he was spoiled over school break after a week he knew the schedule when I started up again. I would ignore him a little(when you need to get stuff done) and try to reward the quietness.
2 I have found they are bold when they are behind a saftey net(also might just be his go get it attitude
When I only had a couple cats I would cage them and let the newcomer sniff them in cages. But I long gave up hope of doing that now I jsut let them adjust.
3 YES!!!! It will get better!!!!!!! unless its a medical reason(anal sacs) causign it eventually the little lazy kit will start doing a better job of cleaning itsself(a baby wipe under some warm water squeezed out and rubbed does help for the time being tho
I used to air out my hand raised kitten cause it was so bad(LOL!!!!) congrats and what a CUTE kitten! Has same pattern my Amy(RB) had. pink noses rock

jasmine-79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's so cute! That second picture is priceless!!
Good luck with your new setup!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does Luna feel threatened by the new smell...as in, is she acting upset? Or is she just living life as normal? If Luna doesn't seem to be upset right now, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't introduce them now, supervised at first. See how they get along when you're home, and if there is still tension put the kitten in when you leave.

This is just my suggestion. I've never used the separate method, I've always just let new cats loose and let them work it out (keeping a very sharp eye on them, of course). A lot depends on the cat's personality. But, keep in mind...no matter when you introduce them, there WILL be hissing, smacking, posturing...there is no getting around that. They need to establish their own pecking order. As long as they don't get into an all out cat fight they should be ok.

Just make sure you give lots of lovings to both, and they will work it out themselves.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I've never used the separate method, I've always just let new cats loose and let them work it out (keeping a very sharp eye on them, of course). A lot depends on the cat's personality. But, keep in mind...no matter when you introduce them, there WILL be hissing, smacking, posturing...there is no getting around that. They need to establish their own pecking order. As long as they don't get into an all out cat fight they should be ok.
me, either - once the new cat was vetted, i pretty much let them roam around, as long as i was around to oversee, especially with kitten to adult intros. but with adult to adult, i let them do their own thing. for example, when i got Chip, he was segregate for maybe 2 days - he was larger than the other cats, but a declaw. Pixel was close to his size, another declaw. Java & Cable were smaller, but clawed. Cable will still hiss at him, but i think she's just proving to him she's still boss cat [after over a year, i think he knows, but she still has to prove it every day
]. Firefox was segregated at night when i was sleeping for much longer, but she was small & sickly, so i was a bit more concerned about her. she has complete freedom now [i finally have my bathroom back to myself!] & everyone seems to be doing just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just found this old post of mine and wanted to update.  Sherman is a VERY vocal cat and he definitely still meows/cries at random times even when his food is full, water is fresh and beds are all available.  I think it's just that he gets bored?  No idea, but he's turned into a super friendly, people-loving cat and everyone says "I'd totally get a cat if I knew it would be like Shermie". hahahaha! Maybe I should socialize kittens some day? =) A girl can dream!