You can tell a lot about a person by their....

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fill in the blank! What is one thing you instantly notice about people?

I believe that you can tell a lot about a person by their fingernails.
I instantly notice people's fingernails. If you don't take the time to clean your hands and nails what else don't you take care of?? Dirty nails are disgusting.
(am I being shallow??) This woman was talking to me today, and I couldn't even concentrate on what she was saying because my mind kept turning to how dirty her nails were.

Ok your turn....

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, you're being shallow.

When I ride my motorcycle, my fingernails get really dirty. So does my face (sunblock picks up road dirt REALLY well. Oh, and bugs, too.
) I can't stop to wash every 5 minutes - it's just going to get dirty again.

I used to think you could tell a lot about a person by their teeth, but 25 years and thousands of dollars spent later, I can firmly state that this is NOT a reliable method of judging folks.

I actually judge people on a LOT of different levels. Sometimes, the first impression is NOT the correct one, so I try to be more open and then make my judgements based upon personality rather than by superficiality.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

When I ride my motorcycle, my fingernails get really dirty. So does my face (sunblock picks up road dirt REALLY well. Oh, and bugs, too.

I used to think you could tell a lot about a person by their teeth, but 25 years and thousands of dollars spent later, I can firmly state that this is NOT a reliable method of judging folks.

I actually judge people on a LOT of different levels. Sometimes, the first impression is NOT the correct one, so I try to be more open and then make my judgements based upon personality rather than by superficiality.
My husband is a hot tar roofer, so I totally understand that your nails can't be clean all the time (his are horrid after work) but I was referring more to people that aren't into hobbies or work that causes their nails to be dirty.

This woman was dressed nicely, and working in a public place (thank God nowhere that serves food) IMO her nails should have been clean.

She didn't look as though she'd been gardening.

I don't think that they are bad people, but it just makes me wonder sometimes.

If I saw you after riding your bike (my dad rides too) I wouldn't assume you were a dirty person....but if I went out to eat with you and your nails weren't clean, I would have to wonder.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

If I saw you after riding your bike (my dad rides too) I wouldn't assume you were a dirty person....but if I went out to eat with you and your nails weren't clean, I would have to wonder.

If I rode the bike to meet you for lunch/dinner, then chances are good my nails would be dirty.

But I know what you mean. For example - a nurse, or a food server should have spotless hands. A mechanic (or roofer,) you expect filthy fingers.

So I guess it's all subjective anyway - situation and circumstance.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...wrinkes, or the lines on their faces. Especially elderly people - it's very obvious if they have scowled their whole lives. You can also tell if their lives have been particularly difficult, and/or if they found things in life to laugh about.

It's funny how the lines etched into people's faces give them a permanent expression.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If I rode the bike to meet you for lunch/dinner, then chances are good my nails would be dirty.
But you would wash your hands before we ate right??

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

...wrinkes, or the lines on their faces. Especially elderly people - it's very obvious if they have scowled their whole lives. You can also tell if their lives have been particularly difficult, and/or if they found things in life to laugh about.

It's funny how the lines etched into people's faces give them a permanent expression.
Thats a great one! You are so very right!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

This woman was dressed nicely, and working in a public place (thank God nowhere that serves food) IMO her nails should have been clean.

She didn't look as though she'd been gardening.
Maybe she does garden some, just for the pure enjoyment of it. Also it's possible that the dirt type she had her hands in stained easily, that's the case with the red dirt where I live.

And while I wouldn't exactly judge a person. If I noticed that I might think they were someone that didn't mind getting and doing something themselves. Not afraid to get their hands dirty.

I do agree though, food servers should have clean hands. I don't want anyone with dirty or painted fingernails handling my food.

I tend not to judge by appearances, though if the person looks very unfriendly or has aggressive body language I might not feel comfortable enough to approach or talk to them.

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

But I know what you mean. For example - a nurse, or a food server should have spotless hands. A mechanic (or roofer,) you expect filthy fingers.

So I guess it's all subjective anyway - situation and circumstance.
It reminds me of seeing a girl working in a hair/beauty salon with nasty chipped nailpolish..not a very good first impression as an ambassador of the beauty industry, but not sure if it's just a "job hazard" because of the chemicals they deal with.
I work with inks & my nails get stained alot.
But you are right, I also kind of like to hold off on first judgements & see what a person is all about first. I once knew a woman who was into the whole material world bit with the clothes & spending money...she turned out to be an identity thief.
Appearance ain't everything. Everyone deserves a fair chance!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I have hideous nails..they aren't dirty, but they are ugly,chewed,red and bleeding

I feel like you can tell alot by their teeth...(if they are clean or not..if they are crooked that gives character
) Dirty hair grosses me out too

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can tell a lot about a person by their.... expression.

If they are angry, irritated, stressed.... it seems to pass on to the people they are talking to or around.

If they are happy, excited, smiling... that tends to pass on too.

I feel people that are high strung and totally "freaked out" make me a little crazy. I worked with one of those people today. I just kept saying "relax"!

I work in a hospital. i try to be the happy, smiling one for the angry, irritated, stressed people.

Whew!

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Clothes...I am a pretty laid back person...cargo pants and a t-shirt(usually with some odd saying on it
but all my close friends are the same way...my best bud is usually in shorts and carries a cut off shirt if he needs to stop into a store
lol. A big thing with me is you must be in clean clothes...Not ironed or anything fancy just freshly washed and smell good.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lol reminds of somethign from years ago, i was out on the bike, when i got a call form a women that i had been exchanging email and chating with. She wanted to meet. I told her i had been out on the bike all day. She stated i dont care, its just coffee. SO i said fine. lol of course she shows up,dressed to the 10's, took one look at me and left
(she wa a law student anyway so no loss)

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can tell a lot about a person by their feet. I don't know why it is but I ALWAYS look at a person's feet. What kind of shoes they wear, if their shoes match their outfit, if their feet are gross or whatever.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you can tell a lot about a person by the way they are towards animals.

- to me, i can tell a lot about someone by how compassionate/non-compassionate they are around animals.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've learned that when I make snap judgements about people, it really says more about me than it does about them

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may sound strange but you can tell a lot about a person if they don't interrupt you when your speaking to them.

I do a lot of interviews and talk with tons of sales reps, distributors and customers and I have always found that people who jump in before your are done either asking them questions, or explaining what your looking for is really annoying.