Wet food-should I stick to certain meat?

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Besides chicken and turkey, are there any other meat I can use on a daily basis to give our cats a bit of variety? Some forum members said lamb (or duck?) is harder to digest, and to stay from fish. With so many choices of meat within each brand, I'm hesitant to order, say, a case of lamb only to find out it is too heavy and can only be offered twice a month. Off the top of my head companies use:

Chicken
Turkey
Venison
Beef
Lamb
Rabbit
Duck

Currently our cats pretty much get chicken, turkey, and chicken & _____ (meat), rotate between Wellness, Eagle Pack, Chicken Soup, & Natural Balance.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed a variety of meats and neither of my cats have any problems digesting them. Poultry flavours seem to dominate cat foods, but I also feed beef, rabbit and lamb. I even feed pork occasionally - I know a lot of people don't like pork but it's in a few foods I feed and my cats do fine on it now and again. I don't like to feed fish too often, but they do get fish flavoured foods once or twice a week.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the foods I feed are poultry based, but Radar really prefers beef and will go off his wet food if I feed him poultry too many days in a row! He doesn't seem to have any trouble as a result.

I have often thought that cat food should come in 'mouse', 'vole', 'frog', and 'sparrow' varieties rather than chicken, turkey, or beef - I can imagine them getting a chicken and eating a bit of it, but if left to their own devices they're hardly going to bring down a cow or whip a yellowfin tuna out of the ocean

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed (canned) - beef, liver, chicken, turkey, lamb as the choices. The only fish is some bites from when we fry our own fish for supper.

IMO its better to feed a variety of meats rather then only one or two - you create picky cats if not fed variety.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they don't have any particular food sensitivities, allergies, or other health issues I would just rotate.

My cats get chicken, turkey, beef, fish, and venison the most...in a rotation.

I don't avoid rabbit, lamb, and duck on purpose...it's just that the foods that contain those things are either less available, less loved by the cats, or in some cases less loved by me. When something comes around that they like and I like, that I can get my hands on - I do.

I feed fish more than I should probably, but my boy that had bladder issues in the past doesn't get any of that, except for the rare treat. Most of the fish-containing foods I feed have poultry or beef in them too. It's not too often that I serve a straight "fishy" flavor...so it's a compromise I guess.

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of ours eats PetGuard Venison and Rice only; she has tummy issues. Another eats PetGuard Chicken & Wheat Germ only; tummy issues again. The other two eat tuna, beef, chicken, salmon, sardine. We rotate between Wellness, Natural Balance and Merrick. We are stopping Merrick because I have to mash it; we no longer like pieces in our food apparently.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with BEANDIP /// As I rotate thou mine is fish of many brands as she only will eat fishy wets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. You've always been a great help!

mrfoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why is fish flavors a no-no? My kitten seems to love salmon flavored wet food..actually fish of any kind. Its part of the rotation I have her on. She'll eat the chicken and turkey flavors but she loves the fish ones..

should i stop feeding her fish flavors?

also..alot of these premium foods that I have from Wellness, Natural Balance, etc dont have Kitten formulas. Is it still ok to feed her these foods? sometimes the cans say Cat AND Kitten food. Othertimes they have a chart directing me how large a portion to feed to kittens...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used a combo (chicken/salmon) but stay away from tuna. We eat mainly talipa fish ourselves and I always save a few bites for the cats and the dog (she likes fish too).

I would not give them straight fish - like all salmon, all tuna.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MrFoo

Why is fish flavors a no-no? My kitten seems to love salmon flavored wet food..actually fish of any kind. Its part of the rotation I have her on. She'll eat the chicken and turkey flavors but she loves the fish ones..

should i stop feeding her fish flavors?

also..alot of these premium foods that I have from Wellness, Natural Balance, etc dont have Kitten formulas. Is it still ok to feed her these foods? sometimes the cans say Cat AND Kitten food. Othertimes they have a chart directing me how large a portion to feed to kittens...
Fish is only a no no IF you have a UTI PRONE or CRYSTAL prone kitty .. Fish is high in magnesium phos and calcium ( some are high in mecury and arcenic)so it is not ideal for daily use or in case where you have to keep those low

mrfoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ahhh i see. thanks for clarifying that up for me!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No fish here. They don't even get fish flavored treats because of Summer's UTI issues! They get mostly poultry with an occasional beef.