Best place to adopt in September?

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I realize kitten season kind of ends in earlyish Fall. So I was wondering how hard its going to be to find a kitten in mid-late September and where the best place to adopt one would be?

I've never done pet stores so I know I won't do that (unless its like an animal shelter using the Pet store space). But I don't know if I'll have more luck with a county shelter, private shelter, family that has unwanted kittens?

I want the healthiest cats I can get and am not afraid of adoption fees - and I really want to find one that seems to like me and has a best friend that likes me too (I'm all for letting my kitties pick me instead of the other way around - though I admit I hope Short haired kitties find me - just to save me on a little mess). But I'm afraid that by mid-September my options will be few and far between.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it depends on how important age is to you. Sometimes there are kittens from summer still looking for a home. They won't be 8 weeks old, but they will still be kittens. I can't say where you would be most likely to find a kitten in September, but you could look at all the shelters.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We usually have tons of kittens until about Octoberish then we get fewer. So you should be able to find kittens everywhere in September.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Well it depends on how important age is to you. Sometimes there are kittens from summer still looking for a home. They won't be 8 weeks old, but they will still be kittens. I can't say where you would be most likely to find a kitten in September, but you could look at all the shelters.
Yeah if I can find two older litter mates that get along well and like me I'll do that too. I'm really just going to take the first two kitties that love each other and seem to love me - whether they're 8 weeks or 8 months.

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fostermomm

We usually have tons of kittens until about Octoberish then we get fewer. So you should be able to find kittens everywhere in September.
Ok thanks, for some reason I thought kitten season was shorter than that.

I guess I'll just run around to shelters until I find a couple of good fits for me.

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fostermomm

Our local shelter is the same way. They rarely have kittens in Nov and Dec, so that's when the adoptions go up with young adult and adult cats, but kittens are normally available without any problem until that time. Good luck!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are always TONS of "old" kittens around Sept. here.
No one wants them when they get big, which, unfortunately, is 10 weeks here.
Makes me sick.....but so many of those kittens around 8-12 months have been at shelters their entire lives, so you can easily find them.

IMO, your best bet is some sort of shelter/rescue/adoption agency. I'd look into them all now....check out Petfinder for a list of local ones. Find out what they do in terms of medical care, perhaps visit if you can.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted Ferris on Aug 31st last year and I found him on Petfinder. You might try that website.

catmomof2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck in your search.I am sure you will find or they will find you

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our shelter always still has kittens in September, although most are older kittens, but not anywhere near adult cats yet. They still had kittens in December this winter!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some wonderful cats available in the fall, I actually think that those kittens left over, but not yet a year old are great to adopt! I'm glad you're open to adopting a slightly older kitty.

You will get some idea of their adult personalities, and although they will still have a lot of energy, they're less likely to be climbing the curtains and eating litter.

We got Stan near the end of the year, he was no more than 9 -10 months at that time. He has been a wonderful addition to our house. He's bonded to us and we've been able to enjoy watching him continue to grow. I think he's gonna be a big boy

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alwaysaangel

Yeah if I can find two older litter mates that get along well and like me I'll do that too. I'm really just going to take the first two kitties that love each other and seem to love me - whether they're 8 weeks or 8 months.
My brother/sister kitties were 8 month old when I adopted them from the shelter in Feb. There is nothing wrong with older kitties.
They are 2 now I think, and they still act like kittens. A bit heavier, but still active.

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Samantha1979

My brother/sister kitties were 8 month old when I adopted them from the shelter in Feb. There is nothing wrong with older kitties.
They are 2 now I think, and they still act like kittens. A bit heavier, but still active.
Thanks for the info - I am definitely not limiting it by age. As cute as kittens are I just want kitties that will be happy and healthy. Good to know that people have found older litter mates out there.