TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Runny eyes for over a month despite an array of meds?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Runny eyes for over a month despite an array of meds?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
PJ & Punky have had weepy eyes for almost 2 months now. They've been on terramycin & neomycin + steroid ointments. Now they're on Idoxuridine drops. Their eyes are better on the Idox drops, but now we've gotten to a standstill on improvement. Their eyes still weep, they have green "snot" in the corners, & the whites of their eyes is really red still.

Punky goes to the vet @ 3:15pm today to get looked at for another health issue. I want to bring up their eyes. Esp. since early last week one of Dorky Fish's eyes started to look the same....and now both eyes are bad.

Is it possible that whatever the P Boys have is contagious? Then why haven't Ophelia & Molly gotten it?
post #2 of 11
Thread Starter 
No ideas?

Vet says it's either genetic & they'll be eternally ill. Or else it's viral & they'll either succumb to it(die) or get over it.
post #3 of 11
I have some.... treat them like you do madam Damita ( forgive me if that is spelled wrong)... or it could be a seasonal allergy
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
No ideas?

Vet says it's either genetic & they'll be eternally ill. Or else it's viral & they'll either succumb to it(die) or get over it.
I'm a little confused....have read all your posts and threads b/c I know you have quite a few cats and thought I could learn something from you.

You seem to have to go to the vet almost every week. Do you have a good vet? I just don't understand b/c your cats seem to have continuous problems and you must be spending your whole salary on meds.

Can you find a better vet?
post #5 of 11
A couple of thoughts.

1. Viral and it has to run its course. That would account for the others getting it. Viruses tend to hang around forever, just going dormant for long periods of time until conditions are right for a flair up. Antibiotics do not work against a virus, but they are given to prevent a secondary infection.

2. Allergies. While antibiotics can cure the infection, they do not eliminate the source of the allergies. If there is an elevated eosinophil count, allergies would be the likely culprit.

3. Sinus infection, with backup of mucous into the eyes. I hve no clue how likely this is, but it happens in kids a lot. Sinus infections can be acute (or sudden) or chronic (longterm). A chronic sinus infection can take weeks of the correct antibiotic to cure - and then you are left with the cause (usually allergies).

Good luck.
post #6 of 11
Have you tried lysine?
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomany View Post
I'm a little confused....have read all your posts and threads b/c I know you have quite a few cats and thought I could learn something from you.

You seem to have to go to the vet almost every week. Do you have a good vet? I just don't understand b/c your cats seem to have continuous problems and you must be spending your whole salary on meds.

Can you find a better vet?
This is the best vet. And I tend to take in the kitties who are perpetually ill so they aren't euthanized or don't die as strays outdoors. I brought home PJ & Punky to foster as they would've likely been euthanized long ago if I did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
Have you tried lysine?
They are on lysine, I just increased their dosage a little to the maximum dosage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 4 View Post
A couple of thoughts.

1. Viral and it has to run its course. That would account for the others getting it. Viruses tend to hang around forever, just going dormant for long periods of time until conditions are right for a flair up. Antibiotics do not work against a virus, but they are given to prevent a secondary infection.

2. Allergies. While antibiotics can cure the infection, they do not eliminate the source of the allergies. If there is an elevated eosinophil count, allergies would be the likely culprit.

3. Sinus infection, with backup of mucous into the eyes. I hve no clue how likely this is, but it happens in kids a lot. Sinus infections can be acute (or sudden) or chronic (longterm). A chronic sinus infection can take weeks of the correct antibiotic to cure - and then you are left with the cause (usually allergies).

Good luck.

I am suspicious of a virus....or perhaps the sinus infection that is chronic. Dorian's had a chronic sinus infection & I *thought* I had finally cleared it up. I never did consider allergies, but would both of them suffer the same way?

Tonight, Punky had a fever of 103.5. So, now both boys are being started on Clavamox 2x a day to help them fight this off. Perhaps between Clavamox & Idoxuridine they can win this long battle.
post #8 of 11
Have You Seen If Its Allergies? One Of My Ctas (Shania) Has Weepy Eyes And Weve Had Her For 5 Years And To This Day she Still Has It. The Place We Bought Her From Said Not To Waste Money On Vets Because Theyve Tried Everything As Far As That Goes...Otherwise As It Being Contagieous (Sorry Dont Know How To Spell That) If Shes Ill Maybe But Hard To Say.


Mandy
post #9 of 11
What are you feeding them, Natalie?
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
What are you feeding them, Natalie?
Eagle Pack Kitten. I can't afford to feed them myself & it's either that, or Purina Kitten Chow.
post #11 of 11
Eagle Pack's an excellent cat food, but the kitten formula does have some corn in it, and corn's a common allergen for cats. Maybe that's worth checking out, or have you already done that? How about scented litter, air fresheners, carpet & upholstery deodorizers, spray cleaners, etc. etc. It sure doesn't sound like an infection any more at this point. It's got to be frustrating.

ETA - here's something that might be worth checking, although highly unlikely in two cats in one household: Mellie used to produce chronic eye boogers. I asked the vet to check her tear production. The vet was very surprised to find that Mellie had the first case of dry eyes that she'd ever seen. I put artificial tears in her eyes twice a day and she hasn't had nary a booger since.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Runny eyes for over a month despite an array of meds?