Tiger is being very violent towards outside kitties???

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my cat has always been leary towards other cats, but lately things have gotten kind of scarey concerning his reaction and behavior. Tiger is a 5 year old male polydactyl tabby, still has his claws, and he has been neutered (when he was a wee one). He lives with my 11 month old female kitten, also who has claws, and has been spayed (since she was a wee one). When I brought her home, I had her in her carrier and set her on the floor to see how they reacted towards eachother... Tiger hissed, his tail got big, and there were some simple moans... This was back in february, and after I seperated them for a few days they have gotten along so well. Here is my concern...

At my apartment complex both of my neighbors let their cats outside under supervision (usually), while my cats are indoors only. Well the other day my neighbor's cat Bones came crawling under the window ledge (stands about 4 ft off the ground). Well, Tiger was sitting on the window ledge and all of a sudden I heard a long drawn out moan (I was in another room), I went to see what was going on (knowing another cat had to be near, and was worried because the window was open so just the screen was visible)... As soon as I walk in the room Tiger starts screaming (undescribable how loud and freaky it was), spitting, hissing, hair on his back raised, tail poofed galore (all this directed at the cat not me)... We were trying to distract him away from the window (Tiger) but we were trying to keep distance so he wouldnt attack us... Well to make matters worse Bones (the neighbor cat) jumped onto the outside of our window sill. I had to react fast and close the blinds because Tiger was freaking out (dont get me wrong I love bones he is a sweety but I dont want him to meet the wrath of tiger).

My concern is how extreme his behavior is... Normally he used to just hiss and moan but now he screams at cats and almost insinuates that he will become hostile with us if we come near him during that time. He has done this twice now with both neighbor cats... Im not sure if he feels that threatend or if he is just crochity? Now when I leave for work I keep the blinds closed so this doesnt happen while I am away (which I hate doing to both my cats, but I dont want tiger becoming hostile with my kitten whenever another cat comes into his view).... Any suggestions?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is really not that uncommon of behavior for a strange cat coming onto your cats turf and jumping on the windowsill is probably a huge invasion of privacy! Maybe try soe Feliway, make sure the other cats aren't marking outside and see if that helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a little peeved because my neighbor heard my cat screaming through the window at Bones (poor Bones he was just trying to make friends)... Tiger was screaming at him way before he jumped on the ledge, just seeing cats outside makes my fatty nuts and so mean. I was thinking of trying the feliway. Im not sure if the kitties are marking in front of my window or not?????

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

I was a little peeved because my neighbor heard my cat screaming through the window at Bones (poor Bones he was just trying to make friends)... Tiger was screaming at him way before he jumped on the ledge, just seeing cats outside makes my fatty nuts and so mean. I was thinking of trying the feliway. Im not sure if the kitties are marking in front of my window or not?????
you could try feliway but I would put outside a deterrent spray

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For example like what???? There is a sidewalk a few feet in front of our living room window (aka the cat walk) and that is what the kitties like to walk along)... I kind of wish they would keep the kitties inside because that area is also the parking lot!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

For example like what???? There is a sidewalk a few feet in front of our living room window (aka the cat walk) and that is what the kitties like to walk along)... I kind of wish they would keep the kitties inside because that area is also the parking lot!
Dog and cat liquid fence , no go , boundry are a few names... pet stores and feed stores carry....

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this something that is really expensive... Will it affect my kitties when the window is open and they are on the ledge? How often will I have to use the deterant (I would use it a few feet from the window... Do you have a link perhaps?