l P u I x C o A r

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

I am torn with luxor and his chewing fetish. Luxor has always tried to eat ANYTHING small enough to fit in his mouth.

He turned 1 in June and for about a month now, he's taken to chewing on stoli's ear. Some of you have seen his pictures and video. It started as a novelty, maybe once a day or twice. Now it's so much more it's disconcerting. Stoli only tolerates it for about 5-10 minutes before he gets ticked and runs away.

Stoli's ear is starting to get a little discolored. I think from the food from luxor's teeth. He hasn't lost any fur on his ear yet.

I'm worried that it might be OCD, or PICA, or even something worse. I'm looking for any words of experience, calming, or reasons why i really need to take him in to be seen and what to say.

I don't want to jump to conclusions and you all know that at the first sign of ANYTHING i take my cats in to be seen. i just want to be sure he's all right and get him to stop chewing on stoli. i don't want stoli to get hurt and i don't want luxor to chew on anything else.

could luxor grow out of this?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww, Trout does the same thing..and it has lessened as she has gotten older. It is definately scary when you have a second cat getting involved in a negative way too though

What about calling your vet and have a chat about it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i can do that. i just hate being the freaky weirdo cat mom........ they KNOW me at the cat doctor.......

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, simple things if allowed to excalate can become serious. IMO, this is something that needs to be addressed by a vet.

And don't worry about the vets, the one in town does things my way, I tell him exactly what I want & he does it. I tend to visit the vets often with my flock. And they know I am paranoid.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Honestly, simple things if allowed to excalate can become serious. IMO, this is something that needs to be addressed by a vet.

And don't worry about the vets, the one in town does things my way, I tell him exactly what I want & he does it. I tend to visit the vets often with my flock. And they know I am paranoid.
Well, I'll call the vet tomorrow, they wanted a check up on a raw itchy spot on luxor any ways....

Originally Posted by Trouts mom

How old is Luxor?
luxor is 13 months

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They KNOW me too

Me: Hi I am calling about Bumper today
Them: What do you think is wrong with him now

It really is best to get him checked at the vet or at least speak to the vet about it, it will stop the is it thoughts and give you a definite answer.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I wasn't saying don't get him checked out..I was just giving some hope that perhaps he will give it up as he gets older...As Trout has.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about putting some bitter apple or something similar on stoli's ear? I think it is used to prevent animals licking wounds, etc. so maybe it would keep Luxor off him, and wouldn't hurt Stoli?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds wacky or too simple or something, but...have you recently scaled his food portions back a little?

Pumpkin has always been a "chewer", but it escalated a little while back to where it seemed like OCD, or Pica like you said. It happened around the same time that I changed their meals a little and cut back a tad, as most of them were eating less because of the heat. Pumpkin wasn't losing any significant weight due to this but she was chewing a lot...cords, cardboard, steel pry-bars, table legs, you name it. I tried bitter apple on the cords but she found other things to chew. I bumped her portions back up a bit and she quit chewing. I don't feed her much more, I just make sure she seems genuinely full at each meal and that seemed to fix it.

It could be coincidence in Pumpkin's case but one thing that helped me figure it out was that Leopold chews on hairbrushes and cell phones, tubes of Neosporin, you name it...but only in the morning before breakfast!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The change in color on Stoli's ear is probably due to the saliva from Luxor. My Golden licks his legs due to allergies and they get stained.

For grins, have you looked at Stoli's ear to be sure their any mites or such - in which case, Luxor is playing doctor.

I wish I had more ideas to help.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yup, his ears look fine. can they get mites if they haven't been outside? we have recently scaled back on his food, not a lot but enough.....i hadn't thought about that...... I think we started that about the time he started chewing.n The vet said to try bitter apple or a little cayanne (sp) pepper, but to be around so after luxor gets a nibble, to wipe it off of stoli so he doesn't get a taste.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

yup, his ears look fine. can they get mites if they haven't been outside? we have recently scaled back on his food, not a lot but enough.....i hadn't thought about that...... I think we started that about the time he started chewing.n The vet said to try bitter apple or a little cayanne (sp) pepper, but to be around so after luxor gets a nibble, to wipe it off of stoli so he doesn't get a taste.
don't use the cayenne - if Stoli's ear has any raw spots, it'll sting him.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'll check to be sure, but last time i checked today - no raw spots.....

i just wish i knew WHY he started doing this..

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PICA and luxor - l P u I x C o A r

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try just a small dab of Bitter Apple spray on the ear. Don't spray it on but spray some on a cotton ball and dab it on the ear and see if that helps.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i will be doing this TODAY!