For those that feed wet food..

bazkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of trying to switch to wet food since we've had some UTI issues. Considering the fact of whether I can get them to eat it or not.

Do you feed wet all the time or maybe just in the evening? Do your kitties get diarrhea from the wet food?

I'm wondering if maybe I can feed wet instead of the Royal Canin SO dry. I know RC has a wet SO and I do have some, but it's not really preferred by the kitties that are supposed to be eating it. This is the look I usually get from them

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed all wet to my Luna, my adult kitty. She was used to all dry, but then needed to lose weight so I switched her to Purina DM. I first mixed some dry food w/ the wet and fed her two meals. I also added some tuna water at first (if your cats like tuna). Then i cut back the tuna water and decreased the amount of dry food. Finally I just left the dry out. I monitored her to make sure she ate some of the wet i gave her. She always ate a little and finally she cleans her plate and begs for more. She's also lost 3.2 pounds in the last 3 months

preciousmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat mainly eats dry food but I have been giving her 1/4-1/3 of a can of canned in the morning only. She has had no problems with diarrhea.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
mine split a can of the chicken soup wet in the evening, with a little homemade stuff mixed in. i used to mix in meow mix tubs, but ever since Chip had his UTI, i've tried to avoid primarily fish foods. the homemade stuff is mostly chicken, with some pumpkin, brewer's yeast, potassium citrate, lysine & liver added, plus some oatmeal, olive oil, etc. seems to make the texture of the loaf more appealing to them.
Firefox gets wet a bit more often, since she's a kitten. & then there's kibble out all day for snacking & for Pixel & Java, my dry eaters. plus Java's getting salmon snacks to try to get her weight up.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bazkitty

I'm thinking of trying to switch to wet food since we've had some UTI issues. Considering the fact of whether I can get them to eat it or not.

Do you feed wet all the time or maybe just in the evening? Do your kitties get diarrhea from the wet food?

I'm wondering if maybe I can feed wet instead of the Royal Canin SO dry. I know RC has a wet SO and I do have some, but it's not really preferred by the kitties that are supposed to be eating it. This is the look I usually get from them
Earlier this year, we switched to wet only. I started w/3 meals a day but in the past month or so I switched to 2 meals a day, 8am and 8pm. These guys realllly tested my patience in the beginning. I won't lie. It wasn't easy, but we did it!

Mine don't get diarrhea from wet food. In the beginning, their stools were a little stinky and slightly soft but that went away after a couple of weeks. Now they don't stink much at all, it's as good as cat poo gets without going to raw food. Much better than the smell of poo from corn-laden dry food!

There are some tips for switching here

http://catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dr...o_Canned_Food_

A couple of tricks I used were to push a few kibbles into the top of the food, so the smell of dry was there but they had to dig in a bit to get the kibbles out. A little dusting of Brewer's Yeast powder (from the health food store) is also an excellent bribe. It has a strong smell that most cats love, it only takes a pinch.

Are they getting bacterial infections, or crystals or both? What kind of crystals? I may have more advice depending on what their specific issues are. Beandip and I fought the bladder problems for a long time.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley gets half a small can in the morning and half in the evening, but he has dry food out 24 hours to nibble on. He likes both

marie.1106

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Daniels also gets 1/2 can in the morning and 1/2 in the evening... with a 24hr supply of dry food which he really only picks at... he LOVES his wet food.. however he is very picky... he will only eat Friskies "prime fillets" he'll turn his nose up at ground wet food & refuse to eat it.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jaffa has all wet food (up until about 18 months ago he had dry for 2 meals and wet for 1 meal - now it's wet for all 3). Mosi has a smaller amount of wet food 3 times a day with a bit of dry sprinkled on top. No stomach upsets with either of them.

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Our two cats are on 60/40 wet/dry- 5 meals of dry weekday mornings; wet in the evenings & all wet on weekends. I bought single cans of different brands and flavors to see which they like/dislike before purchase an entire case. Every can gets 2 paws up from them (knock on wood). No diarrhea from any wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bazkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your replys. I think I'm going to try it.

Beandip...I'll PM you incase you don't see this.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar gets mostly wet with a little dry to snack on while we're at work or during the night (and it is just a little, probably about a tablespoon a day for snacking).

Sonic has a very sensitive stomach and ocassionally gets diarreah from wet food, so at the moment we are introducing different wet foods gradually and noting the results - so right now he's on a higher proportion of dry than I'd like, but we're trying to work out what wet foods he can eat without it causing digestive issues! My aim is to gradually get him on to mostly wet, it's just a matter of working out which ones he can tolerate best.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed RC dry and Friskies, Nature's Recipe and Natural Choice in canned. Dry in the morning, canned at nite.

No problems.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed 3 wet meals a day. They get a little bit of dry food left for "snacks", but not a lot. Mostly for if somebody hates a flavor of canned, they can nibble on something until the next meal.

Right now we are using Friskies and Fancy Feast for our canned foods.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is good to have a UTI kitty on wet. Also make sure the dry has .085 or less magnesium. Summer has UTI issues. Start out small, maybe once a day, then increase it to twice a day or whatever you and your kitties prefer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bazkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about ash? What kind of a percentage should the dry have for that?

I did send for some samples, so hopefully those will come soon!

If not, I'll get some. Problem is, I have to go about forty miles one way to get to a store that carries something that isn't grocery store wet.

Is it any cheaper to ship than dry?

The two remaining kitties are eating Serengeti dry (I really like it and so do the kitties! I would like to get the other back on it if possible)..and I have that shipped to me. They do not currently have a wet food, but it's is coming, they just aren't sure when.

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

If not, I'll get some. Problem is, I have to go about forty miles one way to get to a store that carries something that isn't grocery store wet.

Is it any cheaper to ship than dry?
Depends on where you are. For me it's cheaper to order online after shipping. I order from PetFoodDirect.com

jasmine-79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two went from all dry to all wet, twice daily with NO problems!