I promise this will be the very LAST time I'll do this

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I worked on another horse picture. This time I put the horse on a Bryce 3D background I created, to hopefully give it a bit more realism and also to tone down the colours. I also toned down my horse, and worked on some more shadowing et et.

Anyway, is this a bit better? I'm sure it still lacks the realism I need to make the horse really look as realistic as the background. Anyway, here it is. And....I'm sorry to keep bothering you all with my attempts at artwork.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see this as a bother at all! As someone who is artfully challenged, I love seeing what others can create.

This one is more realistic. Love the scene and can imagine a rattlesnake or scorpion behind one of those boulders with a desert breeze blowing through. The horse is great! Her mane is almost touchable.

I don't have the vocabulary to be a proper art critic so will leave that to others

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definately seen an improvement. The colors are more natural looking. I would work on your brush strokes next. They are too accurate(harsh) looking which gives an unnatural look.

Did you make the rocks?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't be sorry for sharing your artwork. I hope it isn't your last time

I happen to love the artwork posts!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I definately seen an improvement. The colors are more natural looking. I would work on your brush strokes next. They are too accurate(harsh) looking which gives an unnatural look.

Did you make the rocks?
I did make the rocks, but with a computer program called Bryce 3D. They aren't hand drawn, although they are hand created, if that makes sense. The only thing on this picture that is hand drawn is the horse itself. The rest I created in Bryce.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly, I'd like to congratulate you on your mane...you've got that sleek yet wild look down pat!
It looks completely and utterly gorgeous. However, there's a couple things you need to work on.

On Eyes and Ears: If you look at a picture of a horse, you'll see that their eyes are actually shaped mor like lemons. (
it's the best comparison I could think of!) The shine also differs from situation to situation - in the night it's going to be much lighter then it is during the day (the light source is dimmer).
Ears are of a more oval shape then triangular even though they have the pointed tip.

On Shading and Coloring: A horse's is difficult to draw in proportion. If you study its anatomy you'll better know where to shade and how dark to do it - in your drawing you had the main areas down, but the main body of your horse looks almost flat with is choppier brush strokes [in comparison to the flowiness of the mane].

On Shadowing: The main shadow lies on the ground. Your horse's shadow lies on an invisible sheet of paper propped up behind behind it (do you see what I'm going on about? I'm not sure how else to describe it).

I hope this helped you...I love it when I'm able to help someone improve.
And please don't stop posting them you art! I'd like to see more!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cocoalily

Firstly, I'd like to congratulate you on your mane...you've got that sleek yet wild look down pat!
It looks completely and utterly gorgeous. However, there's a couple things you need to work on.

On Eyes and Ears: If you look at a picture of a horse, you'll see that their eyes are actually shaped mor like lemons. (
it's the best comparison I could think of!) The shine also differs from situation to situation - in the night it's going to be much lighter then it is during the day (the light source is dimmer).
Ears are of a more oval shape then triangular even though they have the pointed tip.

On Shading and Coloring: A horse's is difficult to draw in proportion. If you study its anatomy you'll better know where to shade and how dark to do it - in your drawing you had the main areas down, but the main body of your horse looks almost flat with is choppier brush strokes [in comparison to the flowiness of the mane].

On Shadowing: The main shadow lies on the ground. Your horse's shadow lies on an invisible sheet of paper propped up behind behind it (do you see what I'm going on about? I'm not sure how else to describe it).

I hope this helped you...I love it when I'm able to help someone improve.
And please don't stop posting them you art! I'd like to see more!
You are so better at putting it into words than I am!

mrjonah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

As someone who isn't artistically gifted, I think that horse is amazing!
lol - me too. Couldn't paint a good picture if my life depended on it.

This is the first time I've seen your picture so can't compare but I think it is very nice and well done!

dolly213

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love your horse pic! This looks almost exactly like my horse, Cinder. Don't stop posting, you are GREAT!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I worked on another horse picture. This time I put the horse on a Bryce 3D background I created, to hopefully give it a bit more realism and also to tone down the colours. I also toned down my horse, and worked on some more shadowing et et.

Anyway, is this a bit better? I'm sure it still lacks the realism I need to make the horse really look as realistic as the background. Anyway, here it is. And....I'm sorry to keep bothering you all with my attempts at artwork.
I don't see this as a bother at all. I love looking at your paintings

This one is an improvement over the others.

I really like the Cacti plants in the background. They have detail that you can see (spines and thorns). I would suggest varying the shapes a little bit. not all grow the same thickness and poker straight. Depending on the amount of water etc, you will find that some cacti can be quite narrow in parts of their bodies.

It is a night sky and the moon is not even half, so the scene should be deep in shadows. Currently it looks like there is a spot light shining on it because I don't see any shadows in the background or on the ground or around the rocks, other than what looks like a "drop shadow" on the sand right under the horse's chin and neck which seems out of place.

I've addressed the eye shape here in this thread.

The mane is looking better. I can actually see strands of hair in the part that is over the face!

You definitely have an eye for perspective and judging size from front to distance. I find the shapes of the rocks pleasing to look at as well. And there has been a vast improvement with the horse.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope, so far I like this one the best.
(And I noticed that the horse's nostril looks much more realistic being smaller.)