Cute cat behaviors that you love to hate - post yours!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are those quirky behaviors that your cat does that at first blush seems to be really cute that actually get to be very annoying after a while? You know what I mean - the first time they do it you saw awwwww, and after the 50th time you want to scream at them to stop, but you can't cause you love them.

Muddy is our love bug. He stands on his hind legs to be picked up and if you walk away from him, he throws himself in front of your feet and screams at you until you pick him up (we call it the "temper tantrum"). He doesn't do it all the time, just when he's in what we call his "love me" mode. He will then cry at you if you don't put him on your left shoulder and remain standing. He's in "love me" mode right now and absolutely mad at me cause I'm sitting at the computer.

Koko loves to lick your bare toes, but only when you are in the kitchen or the bathroom. It's really cute, but when you are trying to cook and you have a cat licking on your toes, it gets annoying. And I don't have the patience for it when I get up in the middle of the night to visit the bathroom.

Scarlett feels compelled to bury any bit of pet waste she comes across. She'll scratch around them when she comes across them. It's great that she finds the hairballs that I don't immediately see, but she also does this in the litter boxes. She'll scratch the top for long periods of time and after a while will stand on the edge of the box and start to scratch the walls. Thank you Scarlett for being so clean, but OMG can you quit the scratching noises?!?!?

What do your cats do that you love to hate?

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
both of my females dunk their toys in the water bowl. Gette, however, goes a step further and throws her mice in the toilet bowl. And ever single morning, her favorite terry cloth belt (that was from my old bathrobe) is in the dry food bowl, even though every single night I put it back in the "toy box."
My male, Jiggy, never does anything like that!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine tap me on the leg in order to get my attention.

The first time Chynna did that it was adorable, the second time too. Now she's become so persistent about it that it's not just a tap with her paw anymore and she doesn't just want an ear scritch: she wants to be picked up and held. If I don't pick her up right away she will keep tapping my leg and the tapping becomes more frequent and turns into pawing (without the claws), and little cries with the tapping, and she keeps that up until you pick her up

Abby sits on the chair next to me and makes cooing noises and taps me occasionally on the leg to let me know she's there and wants to be brushed or have her ears rubbed. It was just occasionally she did it, now she does it every time she gets into the chair, even if she's gotten up to go eat or something and comes back.

Spoiled kitties!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

The first time Chynna did that it was adorable, the second time too. Now she's become so persistent about it that it's not just a tap with her paw anymore and she doesn't just want an ear scritch: she wants to be picked up and held. If I don't pick her up right away she will keep tapping my leg and the tapping becomes more frequent and turns into pawing (without the claws), and little cries with the tapping, and she keeps that up until you pick her up
I can picture it:

*tap tap*, pssst. *Tap Tap*, hey I'm here. *TAP TAP*, ahem, mom, did ya notice me? *TAP TAP*, MEOW, hey you! *TAP TAP TAP*, MEOOOOOWWWWWL, what are you thinking mom, don't you see me here?!?!?!?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Lucy will do the tap-tap and then when you go to pick her up, she walks half-way across the room. Then comes back, tap-tap. Finally, I grab her and hold her. She'll growl and be all hissy, then start purring.
Other times, she won't even wait after the tap-tap, just come jumping up.

Carly will say "hi" every time you come into a room. But sometimes, "hi" turns into a lot kitty babble and gets really annoying. She just doesn't shut up. I love her, but she just doesn't shut up.

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anybody else's cats (specify whether male or female, please) dunk their toys in water??? Or are mine mentally limited (or perhaps geniuses)??? Ha ha.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by menasmom

Does anybody else's cats (specify whether male or female, please) dunk their toys in water??? Or are mine mentally limited (or perhaps geniuses)??? Ha ha.
Very rarely will I find a catnip toy in the water bowl, and it's usually there because they were flinging it in the air and it happened to land there. I can't say that they have ever dunked their toys on purpose.

Sounds like a true love (geniuses) to hate (mentally limited) behavior. Or maybe they're just trying to make catnip tea?!?!?

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At first glance it's really cute to see my girl running full speed in circles around the house...

At night when I am sleeping and she uses the bed as part of her run path makes it not so cool..

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boomer throws all his toys in the water bowls, or toilet or bath.

Magnum does really cute I want attention stretch and barely touch you think that if you ignore he hisses at you

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I can picture it:

*tap tap*, pssst. *Tap Tap*, hey I'm here. *TAP TAP*, ahem, mom, did ya notice me? *TAP TAP*, MEOW, hey you! *TAP TAP TAP*, MEOOOOOWWWWWL, what are you thinking mom, don't you see me here?!?!?!?

That about sums it up!!!!

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This was cute until I became her favorite place to sleep! More often than not, I wake up with a cat butt on my head:

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maisie likes to 'talk' to her cat -nip mouse at silly o`clock in the morning. At first I thought she hurt herself or something so I got up out of bed and went into her room to find her standing on a chewed mouse whilst shrieking at it

With Kitty it`s when I get up to do his breakfast and he runs infront of me to the kitchen then goes dead slow and meanders back and forth in front of my feet. Usual cat stuff really

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Pearl is the most affectionate kitty. Every time I lie down, she climbs up on my chest and starts making biscuits, which is lovely except for the CLAWS!
Still, I just don't have the heart to refuse her attentions... so I've learned to put a towel across my chest to minimize the pain.

After the biscuits -- which often last for ten or fifteen minutes! -- Pearl will snuggle down comfy on my chest, look me in the eye, and tilt her fluffy little face sideways with the sweetest little "Mew?"
This is her way of asking me to scritch her cheeks, so I give her lots of scritches and tickles and so forth, and she purrs and goes all dreamy-eyed, and it's just wonderful.

But then she feels she has to reciprocate.

Reciprocation begins with licking, so I have to tip my head 'waaaay back so the licking will go to my chin and neck, rather than my mouth, which is her preferred target. But that's not what she wants -- so next, I have a little paw (with claws) suddenly clamped around my nose to yank my face back down where she can reach it.

So I bring one hand up to cover my mouth. Pearl counters by trying to shove her nose under the edge of my hand... about a hundred times.
Meanwhile, I'm getting sleepy, starting to drift off... and of course, once my guard is down, I've got kittylips on mine within seconds! Which, no matter how much I adore her, is just... y'know? Maybe it's because I'm a vegetarian and she's a carnivore...

Anyway, at that point, I have to resign myself to getting up and washing my face again when Pearl is through, so I just go ahead and let her have her way with me.

And we go through this two or three times a night! But I just can't push her away -- she means so well, bless her fuzzy little heart...

mystiquesmummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are my 2 baby's annoying habits

Georgi HAS to be in the toilet with you it can be quite a pain when she stands right where the door closes so you cant shut it.
Georgi cannot stand for any door in the house to be shut or she stands outside it and crys
Tigger has to go right under the blankets at night by your feet so you continuously have to check he hasnt suffocated and bring him back up then he slithers down again.
And they both go to sleep and wake up right before everyone heads to bed so in the end my mum has to put Tigg in her bed- she likes him in there- then show George that he is asleep and then she puts her in my bed - Georgi sleeps with me.

One thing I love about my too babys is that they both sleep untill somebody wakes up they dont get up and cry at 6am which is wonderful

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I'm outside working in one of my gardens Bakker will come up and jump on my back. Many times I only have a sports bra on not a shirt good thing he doesn't dig in but it scares the crap out of me cause I'm not expecting this!!

preciousmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menasmom

I found Precious's toy DOLPHIN in her water dish once......
how appropriate....she hasn't done it since.

Mine will lick toes but not very often. Before she was spayed, I thought it was hilarious to hear her meow and grown....got so annoying I got her spayed the next day!

If the sliding glass door is open, she will CLIMB the screen. I thought it was cute for a very short time lol

When I sing, Precious will immediately run to whereever I am, climb on my lap, lean against me (hugging) and begin purring...

And lastly, when I take a shower, she HAS to be in the bathroom with me and will drink from the shower while I'm getting ready to get in.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by preciousmom

When I sing, Precious will immediately run to whereever I am, climb on my lap, lean against me (hugging) and begin purring...
My Pearl does that too! I'm afraid they must think we're in pain...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny1124

At first glance it's really cute to see my girl running full speed in circles around the house...

At night when I am sleeping and she uses the bed as part of her run path makes it not so cool..
When I was a kid my RB girls Glory and Tinsel would chase every night back and forth across our single wide trailer. Tinsel (the elder of the 2) knew to stop. Glory however used the wall at both ends of the house as a springboard. To do this she had to cross my bed. Sometimes at night when I hear the girls playing (can't come in our room) I will still jerk my legs up to my chest! And Tinsel has been gone over 10 years now! And Glory 6!
Originally Posted by Isadora44

This was cute until I became her favorite place to sleep! More often than not, I wake up with a cat butt on my head:

I have that problem too! Fortunately only while on the couch since she can't come in our bedroom! If I lay on my back, she'll be on my chest. It was adorable when she was 3lb...not so adorable at 14lb!!! This pic is a little old....can't remember if Mooch was full grown here or not...I don't think so though!

Originally Posted by preciousmom

Before she was spayed, I thought it was hilarious to hear her meow and grown....got so annoying I got her spayed the next day!
Mooch went into heat the weekend before her spay appointment had been scheduled for. It was cute for a hot moment....and then not!

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pekoe will suck/chew on my hair for hours if I let him. Most often between 2-4 in the morning. Not cool Pekoe, even if you're trying to be affectionate.

Nigel will snuggle up next to me under the covers, and proceed to kneed my stomach, under my shirt, with his razor sharp claws.

Why must both my boys be so painful in their affections?!