Pedigree paper

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Diego's pedigree paper today, very interesting. His registered name is Like Life Cat Rufus (strange name
). It goes as far nack as his great grandparents, all of whom have been registered.
Only thing is, there is no breeders signature, is that a problem? and is there a way to change his registered name? or do I need to pay and re-register him as such?

Just wanted to keep you all updated.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My papers don't have the breeders signature, it's only signed by the registrar of the cat association. Her name is on the top though, it says owned by - my name and then bred by - breeders name.

Which association are the papers from?

I have no idea if you can change the registered name, I chose Demetri's (with help from GoldenKitty
) so have never looked into that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

My papers don't have the breeders signature, it's only signed by the registrar of the cat association. Her name is on the top though, it says owned by - my name and then bred by - breeders name.

Which association are the papers from?

I have no idea if you can change the registered name, I chose Demetri's (with help from GoldenKitty
) so have never looked into that.
Mine doesn't say my name coz they registered it before I purchased him (from a petshop) and I guess thats the same reason for the name.
He's registered with CTS Japan.
I chose Diego's name from the sabretooth tiger in Ice Age

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pedigree papers are just a copy of his parents, grandparents, etc. The "registration" papers are a separate thing. Once the papers are sent in, that's the official cat's name (only thing you can add is an additional cattery name behind his name (if you have one).

You can call him anything you want, but the registration papers stay that way. For example my first cornish rex female (breeder/show) was already named by the breeder: Kimiki's Dark Lady of TC (Kimiki is the breeder's cattery name) (Dark Lady is the name she picked) and (TC is my cattery name). her "call" name was Lady.

For one of my others: DNA Top Secret of TC (DNA - breeder's cattery) (Top Secret - name I picked) (TC - my cattery name). His "call" name was Spooky.

So you can call him Diego, but that's his call name - he can't be re-registered as that name.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

The pedigree papers are just a copy of his parents, grandparents, etc. The "registration" papers are a separate thing. Once the papers are sent in, that's the official cat's name (only thing you can add is an additional cattery name behind his name (if you have one).

You can call him anything you want, but the registration papers stay that way. For example my first cornish rex female (breeder/show) was already named by the breeder: Kimiki's Dark Lady of TC (Kimiki is the breeder's cattery name) (Dark Lady is the name she picked) and (TC is my cattery name). her "call" name was Lady.

For one of my others: DNA Top Secret of TC (DNA - breeder's cattery) (Top Secret - name I picked) (TC - my cattery name). His "call" name was Spooky.

So you can call him Diego, but that's his call name - he can't be re-registered as that name.
Oh heck, so then perhaps he's not registered yet?? and just to make sure I've got this right, If I register him with a real, decent agency, I still have to use the name on his pedigree paper yes? got it.

So I think we were discussing in an earlier thread,about some registries not being too flash, but since I only got his pedigree papers, that means I can register him with a sound registry?

Because he is perhaps not show quality, is it even worth registering him? I looked at the guidelines for a show cat RB, and well to mee he seemed to measure up, is there any true way of telling/finding out if he is showable??

I apologise for my lack of knowlege in this area. I was raised only with moggies. (if thats a good enough excuse
)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you were not given official REGISTRATION papers (pedigree is not registration) then you can't register him anywhere.

What exactly does the paper say? Is it a pedigree with the names of parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

Oh heck, so then perhaps he's not registered yet?? and just to make sure I've got this right, If I register him with a real, decent agency, I still have to use the name on his pedigree paper yes? got it.

So I think we were discussing in an earlier thread,about some registries not being too flash, but since I only got his pedigree papers, that means I can register him with a sound registry?

Because he is perhaps not show quality, is it even worth registering him? I looked at the guidelines for a show cat RB, and well to mee he seemed to measure up, is there any true way of telling/finding out if he is showable??

I apologise for my lack of knowlege in this area. I was raised only with moggies. (if thats a good enough excuse
)
I think I am confused.
What does the registration say? Is it through TICA, CFA, or another organization? That may help us determine if we are seeing the cat already registered in a major organization, or if you are seeing a peice of paper that a breeder made for you, that has all the parents and grandparents of your cat listed. If it is registration slip, that has only his name, it should say whether he is eligible for showing, or at least the major cat fancy organizations say this. I hope this helps.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, its just a pedigree paper as you say, but doesn't have my details on it.
I will have to contact the petshop tomorrow to find out if he was infact REGISTERED, or just as a pedigree, perhaps they don't know the difference here.
If I could get you to explain in a little detail, what exactly a registration is, I want to prepare answers to any questions I might be asked. It sounds like I may have been misled by the shop. (I know, thats what I get for buying from a pet store *smacks self on hand*)

It came with a few other papers but to the best of my knowledge, they are just info sheets and another paper to pedigree his children (not that he's having any)
and they're not as fancy.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, its just a pedigree paper as you say, but doesn't have my details on it.
I will have to contact the petshop tomorrow to find out if he was infact REGISTERED, or just as a pedigree, perhaps they don't know the difference here.
If I could get you to explain in a little detail, what exactly a registration is, I want to prepare answers to any questions I might be asked. It sounds like I may have been misled by the shop. (I know, thats what I get for buying from a pet store *smacks self on hand*)

It came with a few other papers but to the best of my knowledge, they are just info sheets and another paper to pedigree his children (not that he's having any)
and they're not as fancy.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can describe the registrations, but they look different depending on the organization. Does your pedigree say TICA or CFA or CFF, ACFA, anything like that on it? Does the pedigree only have the cats name on it, or does it have the mom, dad, the grandparents on it as well. A pedigree will have at least the Dam, Sire, Grandparents and Great Grandparents of said kitten, a registration is for the individual kitten/cat, it will say the cat name, date of birth, registration number, and if it does not say, :Not eligble for championship", then the kitten can be shown, but does not guarantee show quality. When buying from a pet shop, you may or may not have got a purebred animal. I may can help more, but I would need to know what organization the kitten is or would be registered through.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FamilytimeRags

I can describe the registrations, but they look different depending on the organization. Does your pedigree say TICA or CFA or CFF, ACFA, anything like that on it? Does the pedigree only have the cats name on it, or does it have the mom, dad, the grandparents on it as well. A pedigree will have at least the Dam, Sire, Grandparents and Great Grandparents of said kitten, a registration is for the individual kitten/cat, it will say the cat name, date of birth, registration number, and if it does not say, :Not eligble for championship", then the kitten can be shown, but does not guarantee show quality. When buying from a pet shop, you may or may not have got a purebred animal. I may can help more, but I would need to know what organization the kitten is or would be registered through.
Ok the pedigree paper is written as follows (too big to scan otherwise easier):

Certified Pedigree,
Name of cat,
Registration number,
DOB
Breeder
Breed
Sex
Colour
Sex
Eye colour
Date of registration
Parents, Dam and Sire
Grandparents
Great Grandparents
Name of the litter
File #
And signed by the registrar.
The company name is CTS

So all that is just the pedigree stuff, so I'm to understand. Nothing about championship. So I will have my wife call the shop tomorrow.

Side note: If you don't already know, I'm based in Japan.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not familiar with CTS, but it sounds like it is either the cats actual pedigree, or the companies hand made pedigree. It could be a cat organization in Japan called CTS, but then you still need to have the cats registration which is different than the pedigree. The pet store may be able to clear it up, or another member may know the answer.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From your description all you got was a copy of the cat's pedigree. However, IF your kitten has a name at the top of the paper that was already printed, then the kitten has been registered by the breeder with that name. And you can't change it.

The registration papers would have the association, the parents' names (reg. numbers) and a spot that you would fill out the name you choose for the kitten. It would also probably be marked with "not for breeding" if it was to be spayed/neutered.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

From your description all you got was a copy of the cat's pedigree. However, IF your kitten has a name at the top of the paper that was already printed, then the kitten has been registered by the breeder with that name. And you can't change it.

The registration papers would have the association, the parents' names (reg. numbers) and a spot that you would fill out the name you choose for the kitten. It would also probably be marked with "not for breeding" if it was to be spayed/neutered.
Yes he has a name already printed, and a 10 digit number which says registration number. Some of his family has like 2 lots of numbers next to their name. No spot for me to fill in the name I chose and nothing about breeding either.
I feel really stupid, I have no idea.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Japan may be the same as over here, you only get 1 paper. It is stamped/signed by the governing body, has my name, breeder name, reg #, then family tree under all that.

He came registered in my name, but some breeders register under their own and then the new owner transfers it into their own name.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Japan may be the same as over here, you only get 1 paper. It is stamped/signed by the governing body, has my name, breeder name, reg #, then family tree under all that.

He came registered in my name, but some breeders register under their own and then the new owner transfers it into their own name.
I forgot to mention that all his family have some type of registration # beside their names too.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

I forgot to mention that all his family have some type of registration # beside their names too.
I forgot to mention that part too
It has the names, colours and reg # of his family.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You say that the papers come from CTS Japan but I am unfamiliar with the club (and there are some 50 CFA registered clubs in Japan). Could you please look at the pedigree paper and see if any or all the parents/grand parents carry the following in the pedigree - it should say something like this (for Russian Blues):

CTS Reg #: whatever the numbers are and
CFA Reg #: 0500- ------- (for males) and 0501- -------- (for females)

What IS important is that at least 2-3 generations (ie. parents to great-grand) carry the 0500/0501 prefix numbers (that's the code/breed/color numbers for CFA).

If they carry those numbers, then your cat IS registerable with CFA. Just send the pedigree (provided it is a proper pedigree of a recognised CFA club) to CFA and ask them to register your cat.

I am unfamiliar with non-CFA regulations concerning registrations so maybe the others could chip in!

If very confused, just email me a copy of the pedigree and I'll have a look at it!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

You say that the papers come from CTS Japan but I am unfamiliar with the club (and there are some 50 CFA registered clubs in Japan). Could you please look at the pedigree paper and see if any or all the parents/grand parents carry the following in the pedigree - it should say something like this (for Russian Blues):

CTS Reg #: whatever the numbers are and
CFA Reg #: 0500- ------- (for males) and 0501- -------- (for females)

What IS important is that at least 2-3 generations (ie. parents to great-grand) carry the 0500/0501 prefix numbers (that's the code/breed/color numbers for CFA).

If they carry those numbers, then your cat IS registerable with CFA. Just send the pedigree (provided it is a proper pedigree of a recognised CFA club) to CFA and ask them to register your cat.

I am unfamiliar with non-CFA regulations concerning registrations so maybe the others could chip in!

If very confused, just email me a copy of the pedigree and I'll have a look at it!
All 3 generations have numbers,
some CTS, CFA, JCU, PCC, ACFA, and KLCC.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recognize the CFA and ACFA (what I show my cats in) - the others I'm not familiar with.

The cats are already registered in ALL those associations. If your cat's name has a number behind it, then he's registered and you can't re-register him with a name you choose. But you can still call him Diego.

The numbers you see are the individual registration numbers.