Can't I ever just eat my food without having someone hoarding over it???

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lexi has a nose for food...I just didn't know how far her smelling capacities stretched.
So I put in the pizza I picked up from Papa Murphy's tonight. I had it all cut up, put two pieces on a plate, and placed it on my desk. Lexi was dead asleep to the world in my parents bedroom so I thought it would be ok for a few minutes.
After raiding our dvd collection in the living room, I found a movie I wanted to watch, and returned to my bedroom. Low and behold...who was on my computer chair right over my pizza! I mean...Good Lord...she was DEAD asleep! She looked sooooo guilty and jumped up to her spot on top part of my desk with her ears down, hunkering as close to the wall as she could get as I questioned her about licking my pizza?! I was sooo not laughing. She'll even beg if I have a cookie in my hand!
So I threw the pieces away because I didn't know if she had done anything. I now know that my plate will have to be a permanent attachment to me no matter where she is, dead to the world or not. As a sidenote, I did NOT encourage this behavior. She was a sweet little stray I found, but she just loves any and all food. I have to associate that with the fact that she probably ate anything she could find. Does anyone else have a cat that is like this??

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeap...... all of mine do it
But, I don't throw the food away if they just licked it...

Yeah to some it's gross but if I threw away every piece they licked, I'd starve to death

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats never get in my food!
PJ & Punky, the 10 week old kittens, have stole food from my mouth!
Molly will eat anything, Dorky just likes to lick it all, then go back & eat what he likes.
Lily, she just likes to pat my food, esp. after she's just been in the LB!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Yeah to some it's gross but if I threw away every piece they licked, I'd starve to death
I normally don't, but I just wasn't sure.

Originally Posted by white cat lover

My cats never get in my food!
PJ & Punky, the 10 week old kittens, have stole food from my mouth!
Molly will eat anything, Dorky just likes to lick it all, then go back & eat what he likes.
Lily, she just likes to pat my food, esp. after she's just been in the LB!
She has tried to smell my mouth while I'm eating. She will sit behind me on my chair and go from side to side hounding me and when that doesn't work, she nudges her head between my elbows to get in.

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Isadora just did it with my husband today. He had a blizzard from DQ and as soon as she realized it, she came to sit on his lap. He ignored her, so she got more aggressive. She started getting closer and closer on his lap, then got to the point where when he went to bring a bite to his mouth she attempted to reach up and stick her front paw in the cup of ice cream that was in his other hand!! He moved it away, but she persisted...getting all up in his face. I was cracking up!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of mine do it, Stormie does, Blue does it sometimes, and well Bella ALL THE TIME, but with Bella I always associated it with her being abandoned, and well was where we had found her for over a week, and u know us we asked neighbors and they said all they gave her was milk
Tessa she will sit there and she usually climbs up through the chair and hits my mom in the back but thats as far as she goes lol! Willie just gives u that cute little look!

But I must say they have all gotten better, Blue used to climb on her, and I started training her one night with treats to stay sitting or standing but no paws or claws, and well that little smarty caught on after one time of doing it
But they know if they are good they will likely get more than if they are bugging for food
But I must say they all act like they dont eat
And I swear they eat better than me
Thats for sure! And well I learned never to leave food unattended no matter what, not with 6 cats and 2 labs

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Well if thats gross, I hate to think what you would think of me
. My brother and I used to share our icecream (in a cone) with one of our cats. He had to have first lick and he would lick as much as he could then go away. We would still eat the icecream. I mean yes we all know and can imagine where our cats tongue has been, but its no worse than dog lovers and some of the icky things they do.
That cat however was the only one I let lick my icecream coz he was the perfect cat, irreplaceable even.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar begs horribly. I don't know why because he's never been encouraged or allowed titbits when we are eating - the closest he ever gets to having people food is sometimes when I cook fish I will give him a little bit in his bowl when it's cooked, and sometimes a teaspoon of natural yoghurt, again in his bowl. He just isn't allowed to get results from begging while we are eating, but he never gives up trying.

You can't leave a plate unattended because he will swoop down and start sniffing, and if he likes what he smells the tongue comes out. Pizza is a firm favourite, as are egg yolks, any kind of yoghurt, but the very worst behaviour is when we have ice cream - he will sit on the arm of the chair and reach for the spoon with his paw, trying to either dip his paw in or pull it towards his mouth. He's an absolute menace when it comes to ice cream.

Both Radar and Sonic are also candy-thieves - Nate has a love for big bags of pick'n'mix from Woolworths and they have both at some point or another tried to get into the bag to steal Nate's sweets!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Know what you mean. Ling's good - she never bothers you as she's pretty picky about people food. Charlie????? He's a chow hound and is willing to try anything you are eating. He's also a pest sometimes at dinner time. Starts off really innocent by sitting on the floor; then moves to the chair next to you; then hops behind you on the chair, and if he doesn't get scolded with the "begging", he will try and sneak in a bite.

Sometimes we have to put him in the other room if he bugs us too much. He's in the hard-headed teenage stage right now
Last nite he decided that PLUMS were pretty good. He actually ate two small pieces

And the ice cream stories???? Charlie has to be locked either up or down stairs when we have ice cream - he will try and steal as much as he can (and we put chocolate syrup on it so we have to lock him away).

SOOOOOOOOO if they bug you too much when eating - just lock them in another room till you are done

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jaffa has always been good (he was a pain when I first got him but I soon got him trained) and Mosi is now good around food, but lately Jaffa goes mad for meat, esp raw. I think it's since I started feeding him food with a high meat content and some raw meat. Now if I get some raw meat out of the fridge to cook with he's virtually climbing my legs
I've created a monster.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah when fixing hamburger for dinner, the cats and the dog get a sample or two of the raw hamburger. Ling's picky with people food - but she loves raw hamburger

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

SOOOOOOOOO if they bug you too much when eating - just lock them in another room till you are done
That usually ends up happening here... thanks to Radar mostly, our home life is a complex arrangement of cats and doors and safety checks as he really has no common sense whatsoever.

When I am in the kitchen cooking, the cats are either shut in the sitting room or bedroom (or one in each if they have been bugging each other) and the parrot is shut in the bird room. So Radar (Sonic is more sensible) is safe from trying to jump in a pan of boiling water or play with knives. Then I turn off any hobs, serve up dinner, put cold water in pans on any hot hobs, put away anything sharp, make sure all cupboards are closed, and any ingredients are locked away, and take dinner into the living room, letting the cats out into the hallway/kitchen and closing the door behind me. We eat in peace. Then usually have to remove cats (ie Radar) from the sink back into the living room while we are doing the dishes. Poor lad has to try to help with everything.

I have pointed out to Nate that life would be so much simpler if he'd just put a door on the kitchen - the door is in our big cupboard where the previous occupants left it when they took it off, it just needs to be put back on but with my joint and back problems I can't do it myself. I think Nate enjoys herding cats from kitchen to living room and vice-versa

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you have those really smart siamese/rex/ocicats, you are in trouble

We do the same things - put water in the bowls in the sink, put lids on the pan on the stove (thank goodness for gas stoves - things cool down a lot quicker) and still wind up saying (more then once)...CHARLIEEEEEEEE get down from the sink! At least they are better behaved when cooking dinner, but you still have to be careful of "kitty helpers".

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby loves to lick the edge crust of the pizza. She will sometimes nibble on that part too, but she doesn't like the actual pizza part.

Chynna loves people food but she doesn't get right into my plate because she knows I'll usually share with her. Sometimes when I am having my dinner by the computer she will sit on the desk beside my plate and wait patiently for me to share. If I see her trying to nose in, I put my hand there and say "no" and she settles down to wait.

My kitties have pretty good manners and neither jump on the counter to get into food sitting there. I haven't trained them to be that way, they just never did it.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

She was a sweet little stray I found, but she just loves any and all food. I have to associate that with the fact that she probably ate anything she could find. Does anyone else have a cat that is like this??
Sounds just like mine! And she never had to fend for food ever and was raised by a breeder and very plump and healthy when I got her. She just lives for food, any food will do, dog food, human food, cat food, just food!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine love hoarding me while I eat!! It dont matter what it is, if they like the smell they always have to see if they can get a bite!!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If there is ever a day in our lives where we are pet free, we'll celebrate by putting our dinner plates on the table and walking away from the food for 10 minutes.

Scarlett absolutely loves anything with pork in it. She'll even sniff out the pork in the Italian sausages that we use for our spaghetti, pizza, etc. Yesterday she begged for the pork shish-ka-bobs that were marinated in jalepeno peppers!

Muddy's favorite is ice cream, which I have at night on a regular basis. He suddenly appears in the kitchen if he hears the freezer door opening then jumps on the counter to try to lick it as I'm scooping it into a bowl. I know he gets a few licks in while I put the container back in the freezer and wash the ice cream scoop. That is, unless it's chocolate ice cream in which case I carry the bowl with me. But that's our little game that we share. I rarely buy chocolate anymore. I don't think I'll die from cat germs anytime soon.

Everyone comes running any time there is a bag of snacks opened (like potato chips, tortilla chips, etc). I think they related the sound to a bag of their treats being opened.

They are little beggers and other than Muddy's ice cream, I rarely give into them.